Fabia vRS gearbox mount service bulletin

cheeky

My Fabia vRS, 3 years old this month with 45k on the clock, had been making a knocking noise over bumps. I thought it was from the rear suspension to start with, then the front suspension.

First or second visit to the dealers, the technician assumed it was the ARB links as per: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/fabia/knocking-noise-front-maybe-broken-anti-roll-bar/73402/

But after inspection was told these were ok. He tightened a few bits and off I went but it was still no better.

Went in again the other week to get it sorted before the warranty expires at the end of this month. When I picked it up, was told they'd carried out a service bulletin from Skoda connected with a gearbox mount which I was told only affects vRS models.

Did a search on here but couldn't find anything about it.

Anyway, the good news is that it seems to have solved the problem.

isnt this the dreaded "dog bone" mount? ive got a customer with a similar sounding problem, im trying to get him to book it in with us to check it out

No this is a seperate issue. I just changed my dogbone hoping that it would stop the engine moving around so much and maybe cure the gearbox mount problem, but it hasn't made a difference to that.

Dogbone mount is bottom of gearbox to subframe in middle of car.

Gear box mount is underneath battery box and apparantly you blather it in grease and wait for it to happen again.

I've heard of scott oilers maybe we could make a "greaser"

Still need to do mine, maybe this weekend...:rolleyes:

No this is a seperate issue. I just changed my dogbone hoping that it would stop the engine moving around so much and maybe cure the gearbox mount problem, but it hasn't made a difference to that.

Dogbone mount is bottom of gearbox to subframe in middle of car.

Gear box mount is underneath battery box and apparantly you blather it in grease and wait for it to happen again.

I've heard of scott oilers maybe we could make a "greaser"

Still need to do mine, maybe this weekend...:rolleyes:

brillaint thanks for that!

We applied this 'fix' to my car and several K later it's still fine.

We drowned the mount in silicone grease though....every nook and cranny was packed with the stuff. I also think that if you used normal grease it would run out when it got warm and would eventually become noisy again.

Oh, perhaps I should check exactly what's been done and get them to change this dogbone mount as well before the warranty expires in 3 weeks if all they did was the greasing fix.

I was shown a printout of a Skoda bulletin but it was whisked away before I could really see anything more than some text and a couple of photos.

Just as it's approaching 3 years old, I think I've finally got the car that I should have had from the very beginning.

Mmm. I applied this fix, but in my case i placed a jack under the gearbox and removed the gearbox mount itself. I can see why it would cause knocking as underneath it looks as thoe it is metal on metal as the rubber there is petrol station glove thin. I have applied the silicone solution all over that area and touch wood my knocking has gone for now.

I must think of a permanent solution and report back here.

You don't actually need to remove the mount, just drown it in grease from all angles. It's wierd how it stops the knock but it does work. I think the only way to fix it permanently would be to wedge it still......or would that make it worse?

local skoda dealer say that there is a new modified mounting available.

may be this mount is the cure rather than pack it with grease.......

Do they know the part number or can you get more info from them?

You don't actually need to remove the mount, just drown it in grease from all angles. It's wierd how it stops the knock but it does work. I think the only way to fix it permanently would be to wedge it still......or would that make it worse?

People here in Czech fill the space between the ineer and outer parts of the mount with window sealant - already described by Basil here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/maintenance-performance/diy-dogbone-bushes-upgrade-articles/89056/

i am not to sure i like this idea of applying grease to a rubber mounting . it sounds a bit of bodge to me , but if it works fine.

the part number of the modified and updated mount i did get from the dealer as they said it was on back order and awaiting new stoc.

this could be why the short term fix by skoda is the grease as every body wants the modified mounting which is why its on back order from the supplyer!!!!

too much demand = too little supply .hence i bet the new mount will be expensive for sure .............

basic economics

if you go into any good local skoda dealer they will be able to sort it for you

Well having had a long run and covered nearly 1000 miles since the "fix", the knock is back. The dealer will be getting a ring tomorrow. Trouble is I have no real idea what's causing it and it's rather intermittent, so of course it never performs properly when I take it to the garage.

Mine was intermittent too...depended on ambient temperature. It it was nice and cold, the mount was stiff and the knock vanished. As soon as it heated up, the mount softened and it knocked like mad.

I'm betting the dealer either applied the wrong grease or noewhere near enough if it. Mine's not come back in several K since we fixed it ourselves.

The dealer (formerly Pulleyns in York) refused to apply this fix as they did not believe it was the cause of the problem. Muppets.

Finally got round to doing this on mine at the weekend and it lasted about 2 miles and back to knocking, but at least I'm sure thats the cause of it now.

Dont think I put enough grease on or not all over/ in the right place (was in a rush) :o

Can anyone tell me where to get silicon grease, I tried halfrauds and maplin but ended up using some lithium I had "lying around"

Does that part number from the czech man (sorry forgot your id) relate to skoda parts?