Location, Location, Location... really interesting

Emily-Elizabeth

Been watching this for the last hour or so rating the best and worst places to list. Seems shocking, and does seem to highlight the north south divide.

I had no idea there was so much diversity in just the UK and that depending on where you live is such a factor on so much of your life.

I am currently considering retireing to Waverly... :thumbup:

Dunno but Surrey is coming up on top at the moment.

At the end of each feature they tell you what £200k will buy you. Bizarre, in some places it is a one bed flat but in other it is a 4 bedroom detached property.

Middlesboro eh, been there once, cant remember anything about it apart from the hotel room, is that a statement in itself? :D

Oi - Ill give you a 'boro kiss if your not careful!:finger:

:rofl:

Like anywhere there are good bits and bad bits. Where I live is just a stones throw away (literally) from the WORST part, but I think the factors which they got right are:

Massivly high crime rate

Un employment

Health

Apart from that it isnt too bad, and if your friendly enough to people they might think twice about stabbing you:thumbup:

There is however regeneration schemes underway, such as Middlehaven etc, however I dont think these address the problems.

Anywho, basically, the program says if you live in the North, your screwed- if you live in the South, your a southern shandy drinker..sorry, I mean your not screwed:P

Having lived up and down the country and have visited a lot places there are good and bad everywhere. The North South divide is not that great. I have seen absolute dumps down south (Swindon is one town that jumps into my mind) as well as oop norf (Yup 'borough will do it lol) I was gobsmacked how many dumps there where around the Bucks region (as where most of my family), as we always though it was meant to be a really affluent county (I know there are lots of v posh parts).

Being fair I just attended a 2 day course at TWI, i think it was in a business park called Riverside Park and Returned to my hotel at night, never stopped anywhere in between (I think it was called the Bluebell hotel???) never noticed it as being above or below par really, but I suppose just passing through you wont see the worst or best.

Best places to live:

1 Edinburgh

2 Winchester

3 Epsom & Ewell

4 Waverley

5 Mole Valley

6 Surrey Heath

7 South Cambridgeshire

8 Chelmsford

9 Horsham

10 Elmbridge

11 East Dunbartonshire

12 Guildford

13 St. Albans

14 Rushcliffe

15 Bath & NE Somerset

16 Mid Sussex

17 Suffolk Coastal

18 South Northamptonshire

19 Reigate & Banstead

20 Wokingham

Worst Places to:

1 Middlesbrough

2 Kingston upon Hull

3 Newham

4 Nottingham

5 Merthyr Tydfil

6 North East Lincolnshire

7 Islington

8 Blaenau Gwent

9 Mansfield

10 Knowsley

11 Blackpool

12 Hackney

13 Stoke-on-trent

14 Barking & Dagenham

15 Doncaster

16 Cannock Chase

17 Manchester

18 Haringey

19 Burnley

20 Hartlepool

Worst Places to:

1 Middlesbrough

2 Kingston upon Hull

3 Newham

4 Nottingham

5 Merthyr Tydfil

6 North East Lincolnshire

7 Islington

8 Blaenau Gwent

9 Mansfield

10 Knowsley

11 Blackpool

12 Hackney

13 Stoke-on-trent

14 Barking & Dagenham

15 Doncaster

16 Cannock Chase

17 Manchester

18 Haringey

19 Burnley

20 Hartlepool

:woohoo:

Hull's not the worst anymore... :rofl:

Interesting... the company I work for has big offices in two of the cities in the top 5 worst places... :rolleyes::rofl:

I wonder what the inhabitants of Didsbury make of Manchester being fourth-bottom? Can't say I watched the show, but as has been already been said, there are some good bits and bad bits of any of the places listed so I guess you can't take the conclusions at face value.

Being on Channel 4, I'm guessing it'll be added to the carousel of 100 Greatest Whatevers that seem to be repeated perpetually on Sunday nights.

(Although they shot themselves a bit in the foot there by not replacing Kirstie and Phil with Jimmy Carr for a bit of continuity! :rofl:)

There's nothing like these shows to push the house prices up in the "good" areas and down in the "bad" areas! :rofl: I've lived in a few of the places on the list and I'm not sure I'd agree with their placings. I guess it depends on your criteria for what is good/bad!

Chris