Some pictures to scare the purists!

I am really happy with its towing performance.

Is getting better now it has 3000+ miles on the clock and I found 6th more useable this trip.

Looks to be returning 28mpg with the van on the back to. So happy with that too.

@ marcus, do you know/think a petrol octavia vrs (mark 2) would be any use for towing or does it have to be diesel?... was at the show in birmingham on tuesday last (flew over from dublin for the day for the princely sum of €52 return for two:)) and saw a lovely burstner belcanto which i fancied ;)

cheers

mick.

I think for torque the diesel wins hands down. To be fair I have never personally owned a petrol towcar and we have been 'vanning for 14 years. Though I did tow with my dad's petrol cars before we got married. I'm sure the petrol vRS would be OK but the diesel would win in most situations.

Check the weight of the Burstner, they are heavy 'vans.

We weren't at the NEC but still managed to order a new 'van this weekend! Roll on February when we become the proud owners of a 2008 Bailey Pageant Majestic.

As to the anti - caravanners ... time to get past the 70's stereotypes guys that weren't actually true even then! I should know i've been caravanning since 1970 when I was born.

thanks nud748, must admit its (caravans) all new to me as i haven't a clue about weights etc.. as i originally was looking at motorhomes but they are so expensive and i was pleasantly surprised at the looks/interiors of the latest caravans...

all i can find regarding the weight of a particular burstner belcanto is "mass in running order" of 1320kg, anyone care to enlighten me?

cheers

mick.

no probs , i have found through experience the german gear is better screwed together, but a bit heavie ,we have had 2 now with out any faults whatsoever.

re the weights basically you need to have a car which is heavier than the loaded van. the cars kerb weight and manufacturers tow limit are the bits to take note of.

cheers Andy

Mass in running order is the new term for unladen weight.

The Octavia (well most versions) have a makers maximum towing weight of 1400Kg. Therefore you are almost at that before you have put so much as a tooth brush on board. If you exceed the makers limit you would invalidate your car warranty and the police could charge you for being over weight.