Towing with a Roomster

g6zru

Following on from the Roomster winning the under £16k section of the Caravan Club Towcar of the year, is anyone using the Roomster as a towcar?

Fred

Following on from the Roomster winning the under £16k section of the Caravan Club Towcar of the year, is anyone using the Roomster as a towcar?

Fred

Hi Fred

Sorry Cannot help with the Roomster but noticed the username !

mine is G6YRK

Radiotwo

Hi, I am having my detatchable towbar fitted this Friday at the local dealer along with the Skoda 13pin electrics.

I only intend to tow a small general purpose trailer from time to time. I cannot imagine I will ever tow a Wobblybox (caravan)

• 6 months later...
Ill be honest, I wouldn't want to be stuck behind one when towing a caravan

Assuming it's a 1.9 TDi Roomster, I can't see you'd have any problems. If you get stuck behind one of those, either the driver is a 'slow-coach' in any case, or, more likely, there's an HGV with a speed limiter in front of the Roomster and caravan.

Stuart

Same here a 1.9 would have know problem, used to tow 1000kg 'can with a 1.9 Fabia used to upset a few people when i overtook them with the 'van on.

Assuming it's a 1.9 TDi Roomster, I can't see you'd have any problems. If you get stuck behind one of those, either the driver is a 'slow-coach' in any case, or, more likely, there's an HGV with a speed limiter in front of the Roomster and caravan.

Stuart

Sorry, I should rephrase that.

I wouldn't want to be stuck behind ANYTHING towing ANYTHING

• 2 months later...

UPDATE.

We have just returned from 10 days in the West Country towing an Eriba Triton at 1000kg. Acceleration was understandably reduced but no other adverse effects were noticed. There was some concern shown by lorry drivers and other caravan pullers as we overtook them going uphill though!:) Another plus for the Roomy.

Fuel consumption went from 47mpg without the van to 43mpg with it. The Roomy has only 3000 miles on the clock so I expect even this will improve.

One odd effect came to light during the trip; my wife's clothing showed signs of rubbing around the area of her right kidney. Checked the seat cover but the only thing I could see was that there is a seam in that area, it's the same with the driver's seat though and it didn't affect me. Perhaps the Scout seats are different, I've got to solve it as it cost me two new polo shirts and a cardigan.:thumbdwn:

Fred

By a strange co-incidence, I finished the connecting up of the electrics for my self-fit Westfalia swan-neck towbar on my 1.9TDI Roomster on Friday, checked it out this afternoon, and took if for a spin with our Pennine Fiesta folding camper on the back. No problems with the wiring or the short test drive. If anyone else is planning a self-fit tow-bar, do ask and I'll warn you where all the skinned knuckles can come. The interior trim in a Roomster is just fitted and secured far too effectively!

Of course, the real coincidence is that I hope to be pulling a Triton (or Troll, or Familla) within the year.

Stuart

Picking up our roomie on monday, with the detachable tow bar, so ill give it a try as soon as possible with my 5x3 trailer as we are off to the highlands in august .

Looking forward to seeing how good the 1.9 tdi is with car full plus trailer and roof box :)

Just got my roomster scout 1.9tdi and will be towing a familia 320gt. Notice in the book that it is advisable to cover 1000km before towing with a new car.

Any comments on this?

JAMK

Just got my roomster scout 1.9tdi and will be towing a familia 320gt. Notice in the book that it is advisable to cover 1000km before towing with a new car.

Any comments on this?

JAMK

I can understand why this would be said, as this would mean the engine is properly run in before it get put under the strain of towing.

However there are several different opinions on running in, you might want to have a search.

• 10 months later...

Hi folks, brand new to this forum and to the skoda brand. Fair to say I am impressed with both.I have a 1.4 80bhp and have just fitted a towbar and am about to set off on a 3 thousand mile round trip pulling a 900kg caravan.( Pyrenees include)

I really am looking forward to the adventure and will report back on whether it was advisable to do. LOL

Hi there, we've just come back after taking ownership of our new Lunar stellar, went to south Wales for a couple of days. No problems towing it with our 1.9 tdi scout. Max weight of the van is 1150 kgs. Managed to get 32 mpg average while towing, cruised at 60 mph in top gear with no problems.:thumbup:

I'd have thought that the Roomie is well suited to towing, the shape is just right, being smooth at the front gradually going up towards the back, and is higher at the back than most cars so the airflow should be better...

Thte 1.9 engine would be a cracker of an engine... I've towed with the old non turbo Maestro and also the turbo one and had no problems but the TDi is streets ahead of them...

BTW I alwys find that the slowest vehicles out there (other than vintage) are either horse boxes or vans with horses in them... suppose they have to keep the horse upright round the bends so go slowly! And there seem to be far more of them than there used to be!!

Hi folks, brand new to this forum and to the skoda brand. Fair to say I am impressed with both.I have a 1.4 80bhp and have just fitted a towbar and am about to set off on a 3 thousand mile round trip pulling a 900kg caravan.( Pyrenees include)

I really am looking forward to the adventure and will report back on whether it was advisable to do. LOL

good luck with your trip I tow a 650/ 900 kg Luna arriva with my fabia 3 1.9 td with no problem at all, I would have some doubt with regard to your engine size, the old 1.9 td with it bottom end torque would be a much better choice especially on steep inclines,

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a 900kg max caravan but need an automatic cos my wife has a gammy left knee and has trouble with a clutch. So I'm looking at a 1.6 Tiptronic.

But I used to tow a folding caravan the same weight with a Fiat Punto 1.2 and could cruise comfortably at 60mph+ (on french autoroutes) so I don#t anticipate any problems.

• 1 month later...

Hehe! I remember getting stuck behind a Porsche all the way from Harrogate to Settle on the A65 with my caravan on the back. Managed to pass him in the end on the Settle bypass. Was towing with an Audi Quattro in those days, but I would still have been held up in the Skoda, just wouldn't have been able to overtake him quite so briskly . . .

Just back from France with our 1.6 tiptronic towing our 800kg laden caravan from Brittany to Ypres in Belgium and back, somewhere around 1000 miles. No problem at all. using cruise control at a steady 90kph it was in 5th and 6th gear most of the time, 4th up most hills and 3rd up the steepest. It even took the Pont de Normandie, which is very steep, in 4th at 90.

As expected in a petrol automatic, fuel consumption dropped to about 20 to 22 when it was in the mid 30s solo, but I'm used to the low 20s here in Guernsey.

It's a shame you can't get an automatic diesel but, if you don't have to have an auto, then I guess the 1.9 would be near perfect.

• 5 years later...

By a strange co-incidence, I finished the connecting up of the electrics for my self-fit Westfalia swan-neck towbar on my 1.9TDI Roomster on Friday, checked it out this afternoon, and took if for a spin with our Pennine Fiesta folding camper on the back. No problems with the wiring or the short test drive. If anyone else is planning a self-fit tow-bar, do ask and I'll warn you where all the skinned knuckles can come. The interior trim in a Roomster is just fitted and secured far too effectively!

Of course, the real coincidence is that I hope to be pulling a Triton (or Troll, or Familla) within the year.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,i am about to fit a towbar to my 1.9 tdi Roomster and would find any advise very helpfull,thankyou,Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart

Hi,i really could use a hand with what colour wire does what in the car so i can connect mine up