Britain's Two Lane Motorways...........

Auric Goldfinger

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you were driving a 2l fabia obviously!! Were you driving one of these they wouldn't even bother trying to pull you over as they would know they didn't stand a chance of catching you!

I wondered what all this talk about the mythical 2ltr 'Stang slaying monster was about 'til I read Mo's thread where she linked to Mil's original thread.

I liked the doctored version of events '..we were even all the way up to 600 RPM..' etc :rofl: :rofl:

It should be made a sticky so all other newbies can realise that they've bought the world's cheapest hypercar!

:D

Do you get motorways with more than 2 lanes? :confused:

Up here most of them only have 2. In fact, parts of the M90 in Fife don't even have a hard shoulder :mad::mad:

So imagine what it's like travelling into Glasgow on the M80. Mile after mile after friggin mile stuck behind some git in lane 2 who has never gone over 60 in his/her life :finger::finger:

police officers are told to keep to 60mph and the inside lane on the motorway unless they are after someone or on blues n twos as they know that most people drive above 70 and its known that when everyone sees a cop car they will stick to 70 and this will cause bottlenecks or even accidents, thus why they have to stick to 60 ;)

I suspect its more to do with the fact you can spot dodgy drivers easier the slower you drive ;)

Also, I now know the reason for so many people using the middle lane. Lane 1 is the lorry and old farts lane, Lane 3 is the BMW lane, so that only leaves Lane 2 for everyone else :D

... Lane 3 is the BMW lane, ..

I think BMWs use the meta-lane which is not attached to the current 3-4 lanes that we know about, yet occupies the same space/time.

This meta-lane exists wherever there's a gap between vehicles juuust big enough for the BMW to fit through. This explains why when most people are happy to sit in one lane you can see BMWs chopping and changing lanes, and also their inability to understand why anyone would flash or beep at them for following a perfectly legitimate lane.

HTH

:D:thumbup:

Also, I now know the reason for so many people using the middle lane. Lane 1 is the lorry and old farts lane, Lane 3 is the BMW lane, so that only leaves Lane 2 for everyone else :D

Aother thing to consider lane 1 is quite often rutted with the

continual pounding of trucks ..... I was quite surprised the

other day when driving a 7.5 ton waggon . sitting high up

I could clearly see the 2 ruts in the tarmac . like driving

on tram lines :( can be quite frustrating trying to drive without

constantly correcting the steering ........

well thats my 2 pennyworth

I think BMWs use the meta-lane which is not attached to the current 3-4 lanes that we know about, yet occupies the same space/time.

This meta-lane exists wherever there's a gap between vehicles juuust big enough for the BMW to fit through. This explains why when most people are happy to sit in one lane you can see BMWs chopping and changing lanes, and also their inability to understand why anyone would flash or beep at them for following a perfectly legitimate lane.

HTH

:D:thumbup:

Yeah... just like the d*ck of a fabia VRS driver this morning who decided the whole of every lane is hers.

It's ok don't worry about making me and everyone behind me plus all the other people you cut up slam your brakes on. I mean your car is soooo "fast" that you will have accelerated away into the car in front before we have even noticed you pulled out.

/End Sarcasm Mode

Seriously is isn't just BMW drivers, in fact I see less bad BMW drivers than VW/Aldi ;) drivers these days.

Seriously is isn't just BMW drivers, in fact I see less bad BMW drivers than VW/Aldi ;) drivers these days.

True, I completely agree. It's just BMWs have a 'name' for being driven by ignorant drivers so therefore become the default brand when talking about carp driving.

It's wrong to say all beemer drivers are idiots as you'll find drivers that are idiots no matter what car they drive Aldi, VW, Merc.

It's a lot safer to say anyone who drives a German marque is a p!llock :D:D:D

;)

And how does one judge it correctly? If there's no gap, there's no gap! :rofl:

Chris

If there's no gap, you wait for one. Simple as. One always comes along, even if you have to wait and then align yourself with it. I was getting at the idea that some people think thay need to be let out, where if they used a bit more sense and created space in the lane they are in, they can match speed to the next lane out, so less gap is needed, and the traffic flows.

It's not right and I'm not particularly proud of it, but I moved to the inside and cruised (honest) past several hundred yards of cars in lanes two and three to emerge, all of a sudden, into empty motorway...and I bet the gimmer at the front of the queue said "hooligan" as I undertook him.

Why are you making out that you are in the wrong? Your lane positioning was correct.

Aother thing to consider lane 1 is quite often rutted with the

continual pounding of trucks ..... I was quite surprised the

other day when driving a 7.5 ton waggon . sitting high up

I could clearly see the 2 ruts in the tarmac . like driving

on tram lines :( can be quite frustrating trying to drive without

constantly correcting the steering ........

well thats my 2 pennyworth

I see them quite a lot, even in my little 3.5 van. Some surfaces do need to be relaid.

If there's no gap, you wait for one. Simple as. One always comes along, even if you have to wait and then align yourself with it. I was getting at the idea that some people think thay need to be let out, where if they used a bit more sense and created space in the lane they are in, they can match speed to the next lane out, so less gap is needed, and the traffic flows.

I like the system they have in Germany and most of europe - which is prob why so many european trucks cause accidents (seen it too many times on our roads).

If you're indicating, you're not asking to be let out, you're TELLING people you're coming out.

Took a bit of getting used to, but a few business trips to Germany and I was a pro :cool: