Pipercross panel fitting problems

gecko

Recieved Pipercross panel filter for VRS from Awesome and am having trouble getting it to fit. Hoping someone who has done this before can shed some light on it.

It would appear that the Piperx is about 5mm longer and wider than the OEM filter that I removed so does not fit easily into the recess as the OEM filter did. It can be placed into the recess but this warps the filter and does not allow airbox cover to fit.

Couple of photos show my problem, has anyone seen the same and over come it. Is this normal, as usually I only normally use paper replacements and they have just dropped into place on previous cars.

*Edit* Quick search on the web shows the part number on the filter box to be correct for Fabia VRS

thanks

17924.attach

17925.attach

Yes sorry, I should have explained better. The pictures show the top of the air box with the filters fittied in them in the correct orientation for comparrison (foam to floor once the top is back on, yep).

It seems that there is a lip on the bottom of the air box and two lips on the lid the OEM filter fits inside the two lid lips, but the pipercross lays over the insde lip on the lid meaning that the ridge on the pipercross filter would have to be compressed massively to allow it to fit.

I had the same trouble with a pipercross filter,spent ages getting it to seat correctly. Think i eventually sat it in place in the top "removable"half of the filter box, then sat the whole thing back down on the bottom half. One word of warning though, I thought it was pretty cr*p before i fitted it and after 5K,despite it being correctly seated,when i checked one day the "clean" side of the filter was covered in a layer of fine grit. Took it out and made a small bonfire of it. I remain unconvinced of the filtration properties of some of the aftermarket filters you can buy. Having said all that , lots of people seem quite happy with their pipercross filters,so maybe i'm just the odd one out.

I had problems with a pipercross. I had it at home in the box for ages and when I went to fit it I couldn't get the top back on the airbox and ended up cracking one of the plastic lugs.

As I'd had it so long it was past the returns date so I tried cutting it to fit and made a right balls up and it ended up in the bin:rolleyes:

Got a green cotton now which doesn't fit great either.

hmm, thanks for the replys all. Perhaps they suggest not all airboxes or pipercross filters are made the same. Sounds like some just drop in as my OEM filter does. Having had another go, there is no way that this pipercross filter is going in without forcing it and risking breaking the air box and even then I suspect the seal would not be good due to warping the filter in the process.

Think I will give Awesome a call.

Kiss My VRS, some pistures of the fit of yours would be really helpful if not too much trouble. Thanks

Hi Gecko

Sorry did not post these sooner but had some nasty weather up here snow, must be Christmas or something.

Anyhow back on topic hope these help clear the confusion :confused:

Take it the part listed on the Awesome Invoice is same as follows 1 x AF-PA-PIP, Fabia 1.9 TDI RS (130bhp) 09/03

This first pic shows how it sits in the base of the filter box once you undo the screws and lugs on the top section.

2124818030a6321778700l.jpg

Shows how the filter fits in with the rough black foam side down and Pipercross sign pointing up. Black large rubber round the edge sits on the lip all the way round the base section of the filter box.

2124818030a6321779318l.jpg

Shows rubber round lip of the base section.

2124818030a6321779671l.jpg

Another few from various views.

2124818030a6321780386l.jpg

2124818030a6321780025l.jpg

Once slid into the base section be careful putting top section back on as the lugs can be a bit tight to slot once in screw the top section down, then it is happy motoring again. :D