Change of tyres on the mx5

ColinD

• Administrators

I thought I'd wait for a good warm dry day to change the tyres, given they are lacking somewhat and I've left a few roundabouts at funny angles. But today it had to be.

Don't change tyres on a cold wet december day :D

I think I've got most of the release compound off now, thanks mainly to the half dozen traffic lights on the way home :)

Eagle F1's, never had them on fwd so thought I'd give them ago as no neros were in.

I'm getting 2 F1s fitted to my Octy on Monday...as I have a 400 mile drive on Tuesday.

Although the Contis on the front are a good 1mm above the wear markers, they are shockingly bad now and do not give any confidence whatsoever!

• Administrators

Well quite grippy, if you can class wheel spining out of the tyre shop at 1500 revs ;)

It's so wet at the moment I've not idea...but oddly a lot of fun to just wheelspin down the road.

they look a lot like the Toyo T1-r's I've had them in the past and grip is good, so I have no reason to doubt the F1's. Similar price point to them and the nero's.

I'll be out tomorrow to do some more bedding in :)

The F1 GSD3 s win all sorts of tyre group tests, so should be good. Rumour has it they go off after around 5000 miles though. Lots of MR2 guys swear by the Toyo T1-R (we cannot get the Goodyear in the right sizes). I am runing Hankook RS-2 myself at the moment. Not the best in the wet, they will take full throttle in 1st but you need to be careful and they need to be warm in the wet to get any useful grip. When it is dry they are absolutely stunning once warmed up though.

Chris

I have F1 GSD3 on my Fabia Combi PD100(ish) - i find them very good, but there is quite a difference between them beeing hot or cold.

I have som balancing issues, apparantly they need to be warm when balancing - don`t know if someone has filled me with BS.

My dad also has F1 GSD3 on his Volvo 850 T5 210 bhp, and find them very grippy as well.

I have no wish to be a killjoy here, but please be careful in extreme cold, snow or icy conditions with Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3's fitted. As has been observed in this thread already, they need to be up to temp to give optimum grip and performance. In snow, ice or extreme cold they don't get a chance and you may experience what my American friends refer to as "diaper moments".

I ran these tyres on 3 different Scoobys as replacements for the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas and found the F1s to be superior in almost every respect except longevity. After 6 or 7k miles, it was time to boot up again.

But it all depends on the weather where you live, driving style and I suppose your expectations of the tyre.

There are other Goodyear Eagles, GW3's and GW3 EMT's, which are better suited to winter motoring, depending on conditions where you live.

I have no wish to be a killjoy here, but please be careful in extreme cold, snow or icy conditions with Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3's fitted. As has been observed in this thread already, they need to be up to temp to give optimum grip and performance. In snow, ice or extreme cold they don't get a chance and you may experience what my American friends refer to as "diaper moments".

I ran these tyres on 3 different Scoobys as replacements for the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas and found the F1s to be superior in almost every respect except longevity. After 6 or 7k miles, it was time to boot up again.

But it all depends on the weather where you live, driving style and I suppose your expectations of the tyre.

There are other Goodyear Eagles, GW3's and GW3 EMT's, which are better suited to winter motoring, depending on conditions where you live.

Like all performance tyres, they will only work well when at the correct temperature. Too cold and you get little wet or dry grip. This is common to many tyres, but gets more noticeable as you go up in dry grip level. You want to try Hankook RS-2s Just been out on mine in a drizzly wet evening, let them loose heat in traffic and then had a wheelspin moment (in a mid engined RWD car) while overtaking someone! If you want tyres that work well in the cold, some of Nokians offerings are excellent.

Chris

Hi there - Good choice for the MX5 - are they GSD2 or GSD3?

Just beware though that whilst they are directional with a high silicon compond they probably wont; be fantastic in the wet. I changed the bots on my MX5 a few years ago and, because at that stage it was my everyday car I went for the Eagle Venturas (now Hydragrips I think) as I definitely wanted decent wet weather grip having finished up the wrong way on a few roundabouts in bad weather on Dunlops!