Vrs Tdi Est--Dealer or Drive the Deal ?

mac

Hi All,

Am possibly in the market for an Octy Vrs Tdi Estate, have approached local dealers and investigated prices on line,there are potentially considerable savings to be had.

Has anybody used DrivetheDeal or have any experience of them,obviously we are talking serious money and I am not keen to get ripped off by anyone !!!

Thanks in anticipation,

regards,

Mac

Drive the deal do not supply imports Stu.

They provide cars from UK dealers and all they do is get you your car from the UK dealer who can offer them the best price.

DTD then add a small amount to this which is included in the price you are quoted online.

If you can get your local dealer to match it or get close enough that you are happy then go for it. If not DTD are very good to deal with and I know numerous people who have.

As stated all of their cars have been UK models, supplied from a UK dealer and not imports.

I bought my Fabia vrs through DTD two years ago. The local dealer wouldn't match the price (around £1000 less than their best quote) and even said the price from DTD was cheaper than they could buy it for!

After paying the fee I was put in touch with a Skoda dealer 200 miles away in the uk who had everything arranged and transported the car to me for £50. All very easy and professionally done.

So, I have a UK sourced car, supplied by a Skoda main dealer the same as if I had bought it from my local Skoda garage but for about £1000 less.

No contest really, if it is not an import go with DTD.

My dealer matched the "Broadspeed" internet price without hesitation.

To be fair, I would only expect them to match best UK dealer supply price.

They'll still get all your workshop business and any warranty work.

Fact of life nowadays, they need to be competitive.

Think margin is 10% plus 2% in bonuses, sure there are people on here who know better than me how the dealers work.

Prefer to use local dealer, have done so 3 times now but won't stay if they don't come up with the goods.

DTD and broad speed are a lottery. thats why they are cheaper.

think about it from a dealer point of view. why deliberatley under cut yourself if theres nothing to be gained?

the answer is the cars are from dealer stock about to have to be paid for in full from skoda. they need shot of it quick, so by doing big discounts they stand to gain a sale even at a break even point.

the problem is you dont know who you will deal with, or how good the dealer is customer service wise. also ive had a few customers come to me as they got fed up waiting (one was for 22 weeks!) others had the wrong car ordered, another had one turn up damaged and the dealer was several hundred miles away and wouldnt help them out.

ive also heard that if a car thats tagged for a internet buyer the dealer can chose to sell the car to a retail customer who walks in and wants that car! so you can wait ages for it (again im sure theres plenty of satisfied customers out there, but this is the other side of it?

I was at a dealers yesterday picking up my car after getting some work done. Got talking to the sales manager who offered me a new petrol vRS hatch with metallic, cruise, parking sensors, xenons and maxidot for £17360 (also includes the SUK upgrades). This is £31 more expensive than Broadspeed and a couple of hundred more than DTD.

The difference is I am also getting a pretty good trade in on my old vRS which makes it well worthwhile using the dealer.

Just trying to decide which colour to get before I sign up for one!!

Neil

Be bold and get white!!!!

White and yellow are the two definately not colours, We're going back to the dealers tomorrow to have look at the various colours in daylight.

I quite fancy a red one, Mrs P likes the black (got a black mk1 at the moment), undecided on the silver and the blue's lovely but seems awful common.

Why is picking a car so difficult?

Neil

Accept that there are definately pros &cons to the dealer/internet scenario.

I don't want my dealer to go out of business as I use them for all my servicing etc. Added to which, I like them.

The point I was trying to emphasis is that there is no longer a place for those dealer that aren't prepared to react to the fact that there are others places to go. I was honest with my dealer and told him I needed him to get close the price, we then agreed that I'd pay list for the extras I wanted.

However if he'd said he wasn't interested in making a deal I'd have walked. The Broadspeed dealer was aceessing exactly the same car stock.

I expect that the internet dealers actually have more lost sales, as people do as I do and use them as a bargaining tool but actually prefer the local dealer provided they are prepared to be competitive.

For us buyers, the whole thing is a bit of a minefield.

End of day, I think my dealer and me are both happy.

I was at a dealers yesterday picking up my car after getting some work done. Got talking to the sales manager who offered me a new petrol vRS hatch with metallic, cruise, parking sensors, xenons and maxidot for £17360 (also includes the SUK upgrades). This is £31 more expensive than Broadspeed and a couple of hundred more than DTD.

The difference is I am also getting a pretty good trade in on my old vRS which makes it well worthwhile using the dealer.

Just trying to decide which colour to get before I sign up for one!!

Neil

Which dealer?

I got a quote from all brands new yesterday. Basic spec red vrs estate £15800 + £150 for tax, reg fee etc. £200 to deliver to glasgow from Hull.

They order direct on skoda who in turn manufacture to order. They quoted 14-16 wks and advised it would therefore be an 08 plate.

Considering I was negotiating on a sticker price of £15,700 for a dealer 06 plate(albeit with £1K of options) I am sorely tempted with the internet deal and a bit of a wait.

websites to use are

Drive the Deal & BuyYourCar both source direct from UK dealerships and are only UK cars. I used to work for one of them. I used a quote from both to source my mother in laws Audi A3 1.9 TDI SLine and saved 15% on the dealer price lol

I think it's all a question of whether or not you like your dealer.

I'd rather pay a little bit more and buy from my local dealer who are always friendly and courteous in ALL departments.

• 1 month later...

From personal experience I would buy direct from a dealer. I had a l&k 2.0 diesel DSG with sat nav extra on order from Broadspeed/CF Logistics. Waited over 20 weeks and when I went to collect the car I was offered an Elegance with a leather upgrade.When I complained I was told "what do you expect for £20000!!!!"

I then went to Skoda Maidstone next day and paid £17700 for Octavia VRS petrol with upgrades.Collected it after 3 days.

From personal experience I would buy direct from a dealer. I had a l&k 2.0 diesel DSG with sat nav extra on order from Broadspeed/CF Logistics. Waited over 20 weeks and when I went to collect the car I was offered an Elegance with a leather upgrade.When I complained I was told "what do you expect for £20000!!!!"

I then went to Skoda Maidstone next day and paid £17700 for Octavia VRS petrol with upgrades.Collected it after 3 days.

aha i thought i knew that user name from somewhere ;)

hope the cars going well, did you ever get that false floor in?

Hi,

Just bought a new Ford Fiesta for my son from Autobytel. Can't speak more highly of them . £2,500 saving on the dealer. Car delivered within two weeks from Farnborough Ford. Just pay £500 deposit over the phone to Autoytel. They send it to the dealer(after their cut) and you pay the balance to the dealer on pick up if you are happy with the car. What could be simpler.

The draw back!!! If you have a car to part Ex it can be no better a deal than your local) dealer as I found out trying to by the a new car and trading in my VW. So the moral to the story, no part ex, buy from the broker.....

Best of luck

:)