Whiteline Rear ARB - Fitting to a 1.9 Scout ;)

Decron

Brilliant. :D

Glad you finally got it fitting ok. Looks like that 20 tonne hydraulic press came in handy. ;)

Shame though that it came to that. If they could get the build quality sorted none of that would've been necessary. :(

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is "whiteline" the mark of it?

Can i find it from modify stores with the name of Golf 4?

Start here

Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8

Then try here

Whiteline Anti-roll bars ARB ARBs, Whiteline Suspension for Audi, Ford Vauxhall Subaru Honda Nissan and many more

And here

rallynuts.com motorsport : WHITELINE motor sports & karting

I have no idea where to get one from in Turkey but you should get the idea. I am sure you can source one. The one you want is to fit the rear of the standard mk4 golf or the Octavia Mk1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everybody, i have a (silly perhaps) question. What the ARB does to Roomster? i am not familiar with Technical data and knowledge. I am goinf to buy a 1.4 Roomster in July and i wonder if i must do the same thing as you here in Greece

Thanks in advanced and i am sorry for my poor English ;)

Best Regards

Makis

Hello to everybody, i have a (silly perhaps) question. What the ARB does to Roomster? i am not familiar with Technical data and knowledge. I am goinf to buy a 1.4 Roomster in July and i wonder if i must do the same thing as you here in Greece

Best Regards

Makis

;)

Whiteline and Eibach Anti-Roll bars ARBs uprated adjustable.AUDI, VW, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Ford etc

Best Regards

Makis

Don't be sorry, your english is far superior to a lot of users who only seem to be able to use the keypad of a mobile phone.

The Rear ARB or sway bar does the following;

A sway bar is usually a torsional spring that resists body roll motions. It is usually constructed out of a U-shaped piece of steel that connects to the body at two points, and at the left and right sides of the suspension. If the left and right wheels move together, the bar just rotates about its mounting points and does not bend. If the wheels move relative to each other, the bar is forced to twist.

The bar resists the bending through its stiffness. The stiffness of an anti-roll bar is based on the fourth power of its diameter, the stiffness of the material, the inverse of the length of the lever arms (i.e., the shorter the lever arm, the stiffer the bar), the geometry of the mounting points, and the rigidity of the bar's mounting points. Some anti-roll bars, particularly those intended for use in auto racing, are adjustable, allowing their stiffness to be altered by increasing or reducing the length of the lever arms. This permits the roll stiffness to be tuned for different situations without replacing the entire bar. The stiffer the bar, the more force required to move the left and right wheels relative to each other. This increases the amount of force required to make the body roll.

In a turn, the sprung mass of the vehicle's body produces a lateral force at the Center of Mass, proportional to lateral acceleration. Because the cg is usually not on the roll axis, the lateral force creates a moment about the roll axis that tends to roll the body. (The roll axis is a line that joins the front and rear roll centers (SAEJ670e). The moment is called the roll couple.

Roll couple is resisted by the suspension roll stiffness, which is a function of the spring rate of the vehicle's springs and of the anti-roll bars, if any. The use of anti-roll bars allows designers to reduce roll without making the suspension's springs stiffer in the vertical plane, which allows improved body control with less compromise of ride quality.

Anti-roll bars provide two main functions:

The first function is the reduction of body lean. The reduction of body lean is dependent on the total roll stiffness of the vehicle. Increasing the total roll stiffness of a vehicle does not change the steady state total load (weight) transfer from the inside wheels to the outside wheels, it only reduces body lean. The total lateral load transfer is determined by the CG height and track width.

The other function of anti roll bars is to tune the high g / limit understeer behavior of the vehicle. The limit understeer behavior is tuned by changing the proportion of the total roll stiffness that comes from the front and rear axles. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the front will increase the proportion of the total weight transfer that the front axle reacts and decrease the proportion that the rear axle reacts. This will cause the outer front wheel to run at a higher slip angle, and the outer rear wheel to run at a lower slip angle, which is an understeer effect. Increasing the proportion of roll stiffness at the rear axle will have the opposite effect and decrease understeer.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than buying a Whiteline ARB and having to 'tinker' with it, I wonder if us Briskodians might persuade JabbaSport to produce a Fabia II/Roomster rear ARB as they did for the Fabia I.

I had one fitted to my Fabia 1.4mpi, the improvement in handling was a revelation and having just ordered a Roomster Scout I'd be interested in getting one.

Anyone?

Rather than buying a Whiteline ARB and having to 'tinker' with it, I wonder if us Briskodians might persuade JabbaSport to produce a Fabia II/Roomster rear ARB as they did for the Fabia I.

I had one fitted to my Fabia 1.4mpi, the improvement in handling was a revelation and having just ordered a Roomster Scout I'd be interested in getting one.

Anyone?

In theory the Whiteline bar or any bar made to fit the mk4 Golf should fit fine without modification. I had a crap one, it wasn't shaped properly on the one end and instead of returning it I decided to just deal with it.

Check out the threads in the MK1 forum.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

The rattle I pointed out was getting worse and despite me checking the bar over an over I could really find no play in it

I decide to take the whole thing apart and check for wear and play properly. I was also intending on making a solid steel link replacing the poly link setup for something rigid and non rattly!

This is what it looked like 6 months and 15k ago

_IGP3543_resize.JPG

This is what it looks like now...

Image165.jpg

Frankly I am shocked at how quck the bar has degraded. Ther jabba bar didn't look half this bad after 50k....

Anyhow back to the rattle. I got someone to rock the car while I took a good look at it and found the play on the box section where it connects to the shock bottom via the exisiting bolt. Now take a look at this;

Image167a.jpg

You will notice that the arrowed hole is bigger than the one above it. This is to allow a little play in the assembly to let you get an angle putting the long shock bolt back in and this is what cause the play, not only did it have play itself but it meant that despite my best efforts to do the bolt up as required it ment it wasn't tight enough to pinch the sides of the shock bush and there was a little play in this too. Luckly there was no adverse wear to the shock, bolt or box sections so I replaced it with and extra washer and packed all the bolts/bushes with some nice bright red synthetic grease I have just aquired. I then pinched it up good. It lined up better and seemed to be all good. The washer I added should come with the kit, without it the bolt can't spread the force over the hole effectively. If anyone is going to fit a Whiteline bar then they need to bear this in mind. I would look at the Eibach one as it's only

£20-30 more and doesn't have these stupid linkages. Hopefully the fitting directions are better too...:rolleyes:

However all this said the result is great, quiet as a mouse and handles much, much better than standard with a nice neutral balance and direct steering. Whatever bar you do go for, you won't regret fitting it :thumbup:

Frankly I am shocked at how quick the bar has degraded. The Jabba bar didn't look half this bad after 50k....

I would look at the Eibach one as it's only

£20-30 more and doesn't have these stupid linkages. Hopefully the fitting directions are better too...:rolleyes:

Whatever bar you do go for, you won't regret fitting it :thumbup:

Seems you get what you pay for...:eek:

Seems you get what you pay for...:eek:

Well, funny you should say that...

I got a PM earlier this week from Whiteline (Or reps of Whiteline in this country) who had seen my posts and were concerned. They basically said they had some issues with powder coating and in short they wanted to give me a new bar FOC.

I sent them my details and it turned up thursday. They don't even want the old one back!

That is quite simply some of the best customer service I have ever received, in fact I don't think I have ever received proactive service like it before. I won't hesitate to consider Whiteline products in the futre if they have backup like that.

I am well impressed.

That's nice to hear, is it made any better? and does it fitt better?

No idea, it's not out of the box yet!

I now have the original fitting sweet as a nut now so I am going to wait till I have the thw time spare.

• 2 years later...

The whiteline bar will work fine without tweeking. It was the one I had was a bit....iffy.

It's the cheapest one out there and the Mk4 golf one will fit fine as should any RARB designed for hte MK4 Golf.

The whiteline bar will work fine without tweeking. It was the one I had was a bit....iffy.

It's the cheapest one out there and the Mk4 golf one will fit fine as should any RARB designed for hte MK4 Golf.

Decron... Do you know suppliers of suspension parts (Springs & Shocks) where you can buy the bits to raise the suspension, not lower it?

It seems that the Scout has different suspension on the rear can you clarify this for me?

Thank you.

JD