Slow MK 1 vRS

I've never been happy with the car's performance. Had it rolling roaded when it had done 5K and it came out with 167bhp and 157 lb/ft :thumbdwn: I put this down to not being run in.

However, the car has now done just under 30K, and it still feels the same- slow and gutless. I've had it checked out under warranty on 3 occasions. Each time they tell me it's fine as no fault codes come up. On the last occasion, the dealer told me he didn't care what the rolling road said, and as far as he was concerned, as long as no faults come up, the car is fine.

I've driven my mate's which has similar mileage, and the difference is night and day! His is soooo much quicker. Either mine defo has a prob, or his has been remapped/chipped by the previous owner (he bought it nearly new from a dealer, and there are no other mods, so I doubt it's been chipped).

It's going back on the same rolling road (Stealth Racing) again in April. If the power is still low, I'm gonna have to get it sorted before the warranty runs out in August, and I'll go to Skoda UK if necessary.

Is there anything that can have this affect on a vRS without throwing a code? N75? Recirc valve? It feels like their isn't much boost- you can barely hear the turbo. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your ideas, guys.

Had a good inspection last night, and everything seems OK. No air leaks, everything was plugged in properly etc.

Think I need to get the boost and MAF checked on Vagcom, and take it from there.

I'm getting it rollered in April, but I want it sorted before then, as it's driving me nuts- I've already put up with it for too long and the dealers won't help.

Thanks for your ideas, guys.

Had a good inspection last night, and everything seems OK. No air leaks, everything was plugged in properly etc.

Think I need to get the boost and MAF checked on Vagcom, and take it from there.

I'm getting it rollered in April, but I want it sorted before then, as it's driving me nuts- I've already put up with it for too long and the dealers won't help.

How about a different dealer or getting in touch with Skoda CS?

It could be down to how the car was run in too. Its amazing how much performance differs based on manufacturing tolerances, how the car has been driven etc...

After a bit of research, I'm starting to think the throttle body needs to be aligned. It's had the battery disconnected a few times, but the TB has never been aligned...

The tb will only un align when the tb is removed, unplugged, and messed with. disconnecting the battery shouldnt bother it.

i never had to realign my tb after i remove it all.

What fuel do you use. The manual says that a vrs should be run on super 98 0ctane. If your using normal unleaded then this could be a contributing factor:).

I agree:thumbup:

Yeah 95 ron is fine.

Throttle body alignment only works with vag-com, the "open door routine" etc is a load of rubbish.

Mine never ran any worse after i messed with the throttle body either although i did realign to be sure.

I'm sure the 1.8T is fine on 95RON :confused:

Have seen 10-15bhp loss on dyno when usin 95 oct. Sticker on fuel flap says use 98 oct or 95 can be used if 98 is not available.

Thanks, Ken, interesting idea...

Mate is going to look at the boost with Vagcom on Sunday.

Will also check the intake ducting.

Usually run the car on Super Unleaded (occasionally regular UL), so that can't be the prob.

Well, took the car out for a spin with Vagcom plugged in. No fault codes, but very little boost either! You can't hear the turbo, and the actual figures were nowhere near where they should be. I'll have a copy of the figures later to post up.

So, looks like it's turbo or wastegate. Gonna get it booked in and get it done under warranty asap. I know they'll be awkward, but why the hell didn't they check the boost before?!

Right, here are some figures:

Peak boost- 0.27 bar/3.91 PSI

Peak spec boost- 0.6 bar/8.7 PSI

Oh dear! My mate's 1.8T 150bhp Golf pulls better than my vRS. He couldn't believe the lack of turbo noise either :thumbdwn: It just feels normally aspirated, to be honest :(

Any ideas?

Gonna give Winner Skoda in Cinderford a call tomorrow and see what they say.

take it in and show them the boost logs, get them to log it also. you shouldn't have an issue with warranty if its an issue you have raised a few times over the last 25k with them but they have failed to rectify.

your boost is way down though, still it'll be good for reliability :D

Got it booked in at Winner Skoda in Cinderford. They were very accomodating and said they'd sort it, unlike ROBERT BAMFORD SKODA in Gloucester, who said they would only check fault codes and nothing else because I didn't buy the car from them. I've had to rely on a mate with Vagcom to identify the fact there is very little boost- took us about 20 minutes- so much for Bamford's customer service, and they obviously don't fully honour Skoda's warranty. Numpties.