New VRS Owner - Gearbox Issue?

Hi all,

Ive just bought a mk1 octavia vrs, its black and I love it already! Only issue is that i find it difficult to engage 3rd. Its strange, when i deliberately change gear slowly it slides in ok but when i just want to pop it into 3rd it seems to stick - could be the syncro or even as simple as a lubrication problem? Also, 5th seems a bit sticky when taking it out of gear and back to neutral. I dont think its a major fault as it is fine in all other gears, incl reverse, and only has 70k on the clock. Let me know if anyone has any advice or had similar problems - car has a 6 mth warranty that includes g/box, syncro etc so want to ensure i can get it fixed in time.

Thanks!

:)

mines the same mate.

it's just the gearbox i think. you get use to it then you don't notice it after a while. you just sort of learn it if u know what i mean.

i always used to screw up changing to 3rd when pushing it, but now ive got used to it its fine.

I think there's a combination of 2 things may be going on here:-

1) IMO the gear lever could do with a shorter throw fore and aft, or at least being an inch or 2 further back.

2) Depending on mileage, you might want to get a garage to change the gear oil for you. I'm not advocating DIY cos the used gear oil stinks to high heaven!

When I first got mine trying to shift quickly from 2nd to 3rd often left me with the stick stuck in no mans land between 1st and 3rd. If I was trying to shift normally it wasn't a problem.

Just take your time with it and it starts to feel less odd and after a bit feels completely normal.

That could be back to the gearbox oil again. There's no recommended change interval, but it thickens up with age, making the change heavier and slower.

Its only on 44k but is just over 5 years old. Its due a service in a couple of k anyway so I might aswell add that to the list.

Very similar story here.

Mine one has covered 70k and the gearbox is getting quite bad. It's very hard to engage the reverse and the third sometimes. There is no grinding noise from synchronizers or anything like that. It's just hard to get in the gear. it feels like pushing something heavy and then just jumps in as normal.

After i bought my vrs i was sure i had a gearbox prob was hard to engage third from second but only when booting it otherwise it slipped in no probs,put it in to jkm and they could see nothing wrong with it, it soon stopped happening altogether once i had got use to the box, i think its just a learning curve.:thumbup:

Found that

1- adjusting the shifter cable (ala Haynes manual or do a search on here)

2- cleaning the linkage and putting some nylon-friendly lube on it

made a world of difference.

HTH

Bas

I was gonna point out that basil had "greased" the linkage as remembered reading it a while back. Got any links basil, you did a write up didn't you

I think the 2nd to 3rd thing is as said, a slight of hand thing which just takes getting used to as many seem to have suffered on low mileage

Mine was similar... I changed the oil in the gearbox and it's been fine ever since.

Good point there. Thinking about my oil was changed about 20k ago and it hasn't for ages now. But maybe it was me, maybe it was the oil:confused:

Thanks for all your replies - i have struggled to get online of late so just seen them tonight. I am getting used to the gearbox and 99% of the time its fine, just the occassional 3rd gear disaster! Anyhoo, ive just logged another post as i couldnt find this one at first (ive never used a forum before!) - having a small issue with the turbo in, yes, 3rd gear! Spools up fine then cuts out then back up again - might be the n75? Changing this in the next week or so and then adding a forge 007p - hope to sort it out! Thanks again, Andrew