Rubbing Strips - Cost

Rydal

The side and bumper rubbing strips on my octavia vrs are becoming a bit faded (beyond back to black) so I'm thinking of just having them all replaced. I don't expect that this will be too expensive but does anybody happen to know the approx cost to have all replaced?

Dont they recover to black with some smooth peanut butter applied?

Top tip from the Wax Wizard....although I still haven't don't it myself.....must be something to do with smearing peanut butter on my car. ;)

I was this || close to doing it myself on Friday but then thought "what about the smell?"...

Q, it works! Tried it on mine - if the white wax residue is really badly ingrained it might need a second application, but brings it up nicely! One tip - don't put too much on in one go! ;):rolleyes: Need to do mine now that it has had its first full Swissol of the season.

But what about the smell? It's bad enough if someone in the office eats a sandwich of peanut butter, let alone sitting stuck in traffic smelling your own 'handywork' :D.

How does peanut butter work, then? (I'm not disputing that it does work, I'm just nosey. I need to know the how and why of everything.)

Do the oils in the peanut butter dissolve the residue, and the rest just act as a thickener to keep it in place?

One more question - who on earth made the connection between peanut butter and cleaning the black trim on cars? :thumbup:

How does peanut butter work' date=' then? (I'm not disputing that it [i']does[/i] work, I'm just nosey. I need to know the how and why of everything.)

Do the oils in the peanut butter dissolve the residue, and the rest just act as a thickener to keep it in place?

I think it is the oils which make it come up black again.

One more question - who on earth made the connection between peanut butter and cleaning the black trim on cars? :thumbup:

Mark (WaxWizzard) told us about it. He probably has it from some old Shaolin monk ;)

Rydal, where do you live..roughly. N.West?

If so I'll come and recolour them for you.It's the u.v. rays that have bleached them.They ARE knackered.Believe me, I'm a trim doctor! ;)

Only other answer is to colour code them.Plastic undercoat,paint and lacquer.

What's all this about...peanut butter!! :D Where the hell did that come from? :D What's next. Marmite? C.J.

Edit.. sorry just read prev post. Mark from wax wizzard?

Suggest he goes back to the electrician for another rewire! :P

Not disagreein' that it works,only never tried..................peanut butter,smooth with no lumpy bits I presume! No, Andy and the rest of you, if you want A long term fix it's as I said, recolour.That is the only solution.

Vaux corsas are famous for bleached wheel arch mouldings. Done dozens of them. Did one of my mates lads corsa 3 years ago. Still looks good :thumbup: C.J.

Yes but the only thing with colouring bump strips is when they get bumped. Personally I like my bump strips natural, and dont like painted bumpers without bump strips.

Quite scary, but i agree.

Tyre cleaner might bring it back, assuming its just wax / polish contamination ;)

Hang on,are we talkin about wax residue here or faded.Wax residue I believe can be removed with plain old soap water and a nail/tooth brush.The old plastic 'rejuvinators' are a quick but temporary solution. Long term either replace (expensive) or plastic friendly paint (not gloss unless that's what you want) very expensive if I do them! Messin! C.J.

Thanks for the offer CJ but I live in Gloucestershire. I think I'll try the peanut butter and if that doesn't do the trick I'll get some quotes for recolouring or replacement. Cheers

Can't help giggling to myself picturing you with a large pot of peanut butter spreading it out all over your bumpers and side mouldings

Bump into the autoglym rep sometimes.Will ask him all about it!

Another method of rejuvination is to use a heat gun and 'tickle' it close to the plastic.Brings the polymers/colour back out,but you have to do it evenly,or you end up with a patchy finish.Worth a try if you were going to do a replacement though :thumbup: