Scout towbar

I am due to pick up my new Scout on the first of March but have been advised by the dealer that there is a serious problem with supplying a detachable towbar. He tells me that Skoda are working on a suitable swan neck attachment. You'd think with the Scout being nearly a year old now they would have sorted it by now. Apparently "dealers have been fitting the detachable bar intended for the ordinary 4x4 and the different ride height can cause problems, especially for twin axle caravans". Or so I'm told!

Anyway in the meantime they are fitting the recommended fixed towbar and have given me a written guarantee that when the detachable one has been produced by Skoda they will replace the fixed one at no charge.

I wondered if any of the dealers on here know anything about this? It seems a bit strange to me.

I have heard of this sort of issue before, think it was with the Volvo V70/XC70.

Best to get the right thing. Personally I would keep the fixed bracket. Not a fan of removables my self.

Remember if you insure your car with the Caravan Club you will get a discount cos the Scout was a class winner in the towcar of the year, 20% from memory. It actually states any model from the range of a class winner so I will be after them for a discount when they send my renewal in July.

Will see how it goes with the fixed bar. I can obviously stick with it if I like it. However I just think the Scout will look so much better without the bar in place! Not to mention the issue of the proper working of the rear parking sensors. Do you not agree that the detachable item should have been sorted a while ago?

Regarding the Towcar of the Year, the dealer got in touch with the Caravan Club and asked about the towbar fitted to the car. Guess what? - it was detachable! Plus worth getting a quote from the CC for the car when the time comes - thanks for the info. Already have the 'van insured with them.

I have a towbar but never really use it apart from with my bike carrier(was on the car when I bought it). I do think that the towbar gives you good protection from the usual idiots trying to park in the street and nudging your car,. At least they only hit the towbar and hurt their motor.

Hi there I have just fitted a fixed towbar to my scout its the skoda one supplied from the dealer and the fitting instructions that came with it show either a fixed swan neck or a detachable one.The main part of the bar that goes behind the bumper is the same for both so it would be really easy to change the swan neck part later on (just two easy accessible m12 bolts) if the part becomes avalable. There is a close up picture of the fixed one on the skoda web site I think it looks ok on my car it sticks out a bit but its not a clumbsy lump you see on some cars.

Thanks for the info royskie. Did your fitter enable the trailer stabilisation on the ESP? I read somewhere that you need some extra wiring for that to be done properly. My dealer seems a bit unsure about it and I wanted a bit more information to be sure in my own mind.

If it is possible to have this useful option I would certainly like to have it fitted/enabled.

No I didnt use a skoda wiring kit I just used a bypass relay the same type as I fitted to my last octavia and it lasted 3years no problem I also fitted a heavy duty relay to charge the caravan battery and power the fridge when on the move.I would have liked to used the genuine wiring but I thought it was a lot more work to fit it and it was a lot more expensive. I dont know what advantages of trailer stability activated would be I would like to know this too, anyway it still tows my caravan very well.

;) How does the scout tow on wet grass/muddy conditions with the van on the back ? as I keep fancying one but the 20 grand price puts me off. cheers - Stuart.

Interesting LesPaul! Got an e-mail reply from Skoda 2 days ago saying there was no detachable towbar for the Scout yet. Interesting timing for me. Picking the car up on Saturday - fixed bar has been fitted and dealer says it looks great. We'll see!

Guest wilkopilko
Please put some pictures up when you have your Scout :thumbup:

Trying to decide if I should go for a Scout (sensible choice) or a vRS TDI :o

Darren

Definately a hard choice - but could be made easier if....

** Skoda makes a 4x4 VRS **

or

** Give the Scout the VRS engines **

Rkenny - Pictures, pictures, pictures!!

:)

Definately a hard choice - but could be made easier if....

** Skoda makes a 4x4 VRS **

or

** Give the Scout the VRS engines **

Rkenny - Pictures, pictures, pictures!!

:)

I agree on both counts!

I notice Seat have the 170bhp TDi in its 4x4 Altea.

I Use A Towsure Item With A Detachable Upgrade No Bumper Cut Required And I Used Skoda Electrics,costing £300 For Everythink Towing An Avondale Dart 556/6 Fantastic Tow Car

• 2 weeks later...
Will see how it goes with the fixed bar. I can obviously stick with it if I like it. However I just think the Scout will look so much better without the bar in place! Not to mention the issue of the proper working of the rear parking sensors. Do you not agree that the detachable item should have been sorted a while ago?

Regarding the Towcar of the Year, the dealer got in touch with the Caravan Club and asked about the towbar fitted to the car. Guess what? - it was detachable! Plus worth getting a quote from the CC for the car when the time comes - thanks for the info. Already have the 'van insured with them.

Any update - and how much was fitting at the dealer?

• 3 weeks later...

Had a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted to my Scout last week. The factory hole in the lower bumper means the electrics can be hidden and the car looks normal when not towing.

Supplied and fitted by Towbex (nr Brighton) for just over £300. These guys were recommended to me by CDG Skoda after their in house fitters wanted something like 9 hours labour to fit a Skoda tow bar. CDG Skoda have had tow bars fitted by Tobex themselves prior to a factory fit being available for the Scout.

Had a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted to my Scout last week. The factory hole in the lower bumper means the electrics can be hidden and the car looks normal when not towing.

Supplied and fitted by Towbex (nr Brighton) for just over £300. These guys were recommended to me by CDG Skoda after their in house fitters wanted something like 9 hours labour to fit a Skoda tow bar. CDG Skoda have had tow bars fitted by Tobex themselves prior to a factory fit being available for the Scout.

Any chance of a photo :)? Did they do the electrics too?