Weird scratching noises from glovebox

Aaagghhhh, can someone help me PLEASE!!!. Just recently I've noticed some odd sounds that can only be described as mouse sounds. :eek:

It happens first thing when the car's just started, and occurs when I'm stationary at lights etc. It only happens for about 3-5 seconds at a time and sounds like a mouse is dancing in my glovebox. If anyone out there has had mice in their house and heard them in the middle of the night, you'll know what I mean. It seems to stop after some time but it's doing my bonce in.

Anyway, I've only noticed it the last week or so. I had new 17" wheels and 225/45 tyres fitted about 2 weeks ago, but would that be it, or pure coincidence??? The car's a 53 plate Octavia Elegance hatchback with 50,000 miles. Any thoughts? :(

Just a thought....the heater/fan unit sits behind the glovebox.

It can click sometimes when the climate is on...:confused:

Otherwise could there be leaves or something similar trapped in there?

Just a thought....the heater/fan unit sits behind the glovebox.

It can click sometimes when the climate is on...:confused:

Otherwise could there be leaves or something similar trapped in there?

I thought about leaves and stuff and had a look but nothing. I read a thread about the heater flaps adjusting and that might be the noise. It usually disappears after a while, probably when the temp is correct. Thanks for your help though. Anyone else have any other ideas? :confused:

may come down to removing the whole glovebox, cleaning any mating surfaces and then checking all screws are tight.

The engine vibrates a tad more at the times you mention and it may be enough to cause some mating surfaces to rub for a second or two.

HTH

Bas

Or it could actually be a mouse......

It's been cold recently, where better to settle than a nice snug car interior?

Hoping not as could be chewing through cables etc.

Most likely to be the other suggestions in this thread I'm sure :rolleyes:

No kidding, in an old P reg Felicia I had, something had eaten the insulation under the bonnet, and some of the rubber pipes. The garage thought the previous owner had kept it in a barn! lol.

Cheers everyone for making me laugh:rofl: I hope it is just the aircon but I've never noticed it before and having a closer listen today it sounds like wires fizzing behind the dash/glovebox :eek: Is there any common known cause for this? I don't want the electrics to burn out

Is it like a tapping/scratching/bubbling sound if so it's your aircon. Don't worry

It sounds like fizzing wires as well, but your description seems to match it pretty much. I hope it is just the aircon. Why would it have only just started now though??? I'm going to take the glove box off this weekend and have a look. Thanks for your help

The glovebox is only held on with about 5 screws and you can get it out completely in less than 2 minutes. Dead simple, but just watch out for hungry mutant rodents when you remove it!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank *****(please insert name of favourite deity)- thought the anti-psychotic medication wasn't working...I'm not hearing things! Convinced it was a mouse, wifey heard it too...so can't be mad again, phew! We're not alone. BTW, anyone been abducted by aliens recently? Just wondered...

• 3 weeks later...
Cheers everyone for making me laugh:rofl: I hope it is just the aircon but I've never noticed it before and having a closer listen today it sounds like wires fizzing behind the dash/glovebox :eek: Is there any common known cause for this? I don't want the electrics to burn out

Just as a test.. try pressing the econ button... does the noise stop, does it start again when you press the auto button?

I think i have something similar :o

I had a similar problem which occurred after a service resulting from the replacement/cleaning of the pollen filter. My parents had the same problem (we both have an Octavia). Dry leaves find their way down the air intake and catch against the impellor. It sorted itself out in the end.

• 1 month later...

Just as a late update to this. About 4 weeks ago the EML came on after I had to boot the car to escape an idiot coming round a blind bend at about 120 from crashing into the back of me. I thought I'd blown the turbo or something but the car was still driving fine so I took it to the stealer who charged me £65 + VAT for a diagnostic (oh how I wish I had VAG COM) and discovered the Air Flap Positioning Motor was shot. This explains all the weird glovebox-mouse noises. The motor, along with the Temp motor, have now been replaced under independent dealer warranty and the mouse has gone to a better place. Just thought I'd let the people know :D

ahhar! cheers for the update. i picked up the error code for that flap motor the other day, so was guessing it was that at fault.

any idea on the part number or price for the flap motor?

cheers bud.

ahhar! cheers for the update. i picked up the error code for that flap motor the other day, so was guessing it was that at fault.

any idea on the part number or price for the flap motor?

cheers bud.

I'll dig out the invoice tonight and post up the error and part number details.

The Flap motor was about £80 but the stealer said the Temp Motor needed doing at the same time and that was about £75, both incl VAT. They also charged 2 hours labour at £65 ph + VAT :eek:

Luckily it was a warranty job but I've had to pay it and claim back so I'm keeping fingers crossed for a swift refund. Wonder if they'll pay the credit card interest if they take more than a month? :rofl::rofl::rofl: (These are sarcastic laughs)