Limited or no connectivity

chaos306

Hi guys,

Im having a problem setting up my wireless home network.

I have a Belkin Wireless G Router, connected wirelessly to a new Acer Laptop (which I am using now). This connection works perfectly, not come across any problems with it.

I have set up WPA2 security on the router, and this laptop connects fine.

The problem comes in when I am trying to connect my desktop PC wirelessly to the network. I have a ZyXEL wireless USB adapter, installed the software & drivers etc, all went through fine.

Plugged it in, it lights up, so I go through the connection procedures, it searches and finds my network successfully.

I ask to connect, it asks for the security password, entered correctly, gets a connection, but then shows up as limited or no connectivity.

When I check the details it says the network did not assign a network address.

I checked the password etc, and according to the router settings, it has given the computer an IP address etc, but still no joy.

I have tried using it without the software, letting windows manage the settings, but I get exactly the same problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out?

Cheers

Wifi can be a pain and you have to do some odd thing to get it to kick in.

Try a simple reboot to start with.

Then try changing the password. It's an odd thing but something I have had to do that on different hardware. The change seems to get things to kick in.

Cheers for the ideas.

When I put the settings manually into my pc for it to find a connection, it came up saying it was connected, but neither IE nor Firefox could connect to the internet.

Ive also already tried rebooting (first thing I tried) and changing the password, but no difference.

i had similar problems with my wi-fi card on my desk top pc.... the connection needed repaired or restarted when i started t up the machine... in the end ive given up and got a device called homeplug that uses the electrical wires to provide a wired network....

I had the same problem a couple of months ago

I tried most of the things mentioned on this thread

spent ages on the tech support helpline and got my brother in law (who is a computer engineer) to have a look at the problem.

In the end it was decided that the router was ******

So i got a new router and the problem hasnt happend since

Cheers guys. The router is brand new, and it works fine with my wireless laptop, so it doesnt seem to be broken as such, just not able to connect my PC.

Typing in 192.168.2.1 into IE is the address of my router, and as my pc cannot connect to it, theres no way i can get into it (although i can easily on the laptop).

MAC address filtering is disabled.

Will try the WinSock XP fix file, see what happens.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From a command prompt, type "ipconfig /all".

Your PC should report it has an address assigned by the router, in the 192.168.0.xxx range. It should also report DHCP enabled. DNS servers will normally say the address of the router - 192.168.0.1.

Here's an example. If you can post yours it may help.

Disable any other adapters, especially if they have addresses - Windows isn't always good at finding the one that's actually connected!

19798.attach

The info I got back from that doesnt look right to me:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Martin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Martins-System

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ZyXEL G-202 Wireless USB Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-CB-03-74-BF

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.141.62

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Your wireless adapter has failed to get an IP address from the DHCP server, and has configured itself with an "autoconfiguration address" - the 169.254... I have no idea why Windows insists on doing this, it will never work. It can't talk to the rest of the network because its address doesn't match the 192.168 scheme on the rest of the machines.

I'm slightly concerned that it appears as "wireless Network connection 2" Have you had a couple of goes at installing it?

Look under control panel/system under device manager and check you don't have more than one wireless adapter installed. If so, remove them all, and then either restart windows or use "Add hardware" to detect it again.

Yeah I've tried removing it and starting again, with reboots all over the place, and now theres only one wireless adapter, and my integrated ethernet adapter, which has been disabled.

Really annoying me now, just want to get it sorted...

You could try assigning it an address manually in the 192.168.0.xxx range (that isn't already in use on another machine), and see if it will connect to the router after that. I suspect it won't, though.

Double check the router is configured as a DHCP server.

Router is def set as DHCP server, and the router settings show that it has assigned an IP address to my PC.

When I have tried to input the settings manually, it still wont connect, and windows diagnostics say theres a problem with the connection to the router...

Router is def set as DHCP server, and the router settings show that it has assigned an IP address to my PC.

For the MAC address of the wireless adapter? (00-19-CB-03-74-BF)

Yeah its def set an IP to the MAC address of the adapter, it shows this:

IP Address Host Name MAC Address

192.168.2.2 juliewatson-PC 00-1C-BF-60-1A-24

192.168.2.3 Martins-System 00-19-CB-03-74-BF