skoda holiday/disaster

got my new car on Wednesday as of last week. a perfect time because i was due to go to Scotland for a 550mile round trip on holiday!

so yeah i took it on holiday. on this friday just gone, in glenrothes, fife, about 30-40mile away from where i was stopping i went round a mini roundabout... turning right. Halfway on the roundabout a woman driver round straight into the passenger front wing of my pride and joy!!!!!!!!

all her fault and shes admitted it with loads of witness's.

so im stuck in Scotland in need of a car asap because i was due to go back and i needed it before 10 am the next day on a bank holiday weekend. so u can imagine my frustration on the phone etc. nevertheless i got a brand new VW jetta 2.0tdi.... what a boring car! so what at quarter of a tank its done 260miles... its no character no speed no flare. its a boring car.

so im now grieving awaiting for my car to be mended

anyone any ideas what the damage will be etc? easy to fix?

poorlycar1.jpg

courtesycar1.jpg

car3.jpg

car2.jpg

car1.jpg

I had almost identical damage done to my RS a couple of years ago.

As said above, as long as your front wheel didn't get a knock, you will probably need to replace:

bumper & black rubbing insert

wing

sidelight

headlamp (it may look okay, but the plastic side of it will have caved in)

wheel arch liner (possibly)

it happened on flemington road, glenrothes... the mini roundabout next to kwikfit.mcdonalds/morissons etc...

i think the wheel did take a knock. it'll need a new alloy and tyre for definate. but im just a bit worried for the all the electronic that go into the wheel. i just hope they dont write it off...

however i am growing to like the vw jetta!

*edit*

and the pics are in st monans/ellie. near st andrews.

Make sure you tell your insurance company you wnat the wheel and tyre replaced, as sometimes the will just refurb the damage wheel. Is the car getting recovered back to your local repairer??

in the pictures you might notice the car is filthy.... i made sure it was for the pics i took knowing i was gunna post some on here due to everyone usually having theirs in showroom condition!

gettin picked up tomorro to get fixed. im missin the 200+ bhp :(!!!!!!

its been remapped chipped and had the cylinder head skimmed so u can imagine i can fair shift! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

update.... looking like my octy is being written off! the car is being further stripped to see for further damage. garage says its boarderline on wirtten off for value of car.

only bloody drove this car a week and 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

****!

Sorry to read your tale but if the car is a borderline write off have you considered buying it back as salvage and getting it fixed privately.

Could be worth a punt if you know someone who could do it for you AND you know exactly what needs doing so no nasty expensive surprises.

On a different tack, and heartless b*****d that I am, if it does get written off I'll give you a fiver for the vehicle handbook, mines a LHD and the books all in French.

:handshke:

Hiya.

The only electroniccy bits on the wheel itself are the ABS sensor (also used for ASR or ESP), electronic brake actuator, and brake wear sensor.

Short of a badly ripped inner wing (and I've neve seen one of those not distort the bonnet) no way should that be a write-off IMO!! :mad:

Insurance companies are cold and calculated and if the repair cost is more than what is it, 50 or 60% of the market value, they will write it off.

Repairers always charge top dollar for insurance work, (it's why they always ask if it's an insurance job or not) and that's not neccessarily with the intent of ripping the company off but more to do with customers expecting a level of perfection from insurance work above that which they may accept if paying out of their own pocket therefore the work has to be top notch.

Also, too many complaints and comebacks and the insurers will stop putting work their way.

What is the market value of the car ?

im just in disbelief. i bought the car for 3k 81k on clock 2001... heavily tuned really but totally standard on the outside. head skimmed remapped chipped strut bars dump valve etc etc...

market value for a octy vrs is 4-4.5k but like kinel said 60% of the value and its a write off. the garage gave the insurance a quote and they instructed to strip the car further which the garage said to me the insurance are lookin to write it off probably. i couldnt go and buy a similar car for the 3k i paid... it was my pride n joy! a 230+ bhp car at 20 years old! worked the past year saturdays n sundays to pay for it cuz i didnt want to dip into savings.

lol i blab on but im starting to look for a new car... ppl help!?

200+bhp 51reg+ (private plate you see) want skin n wind etc etc...

lad at works brothers sellin a fiat stilo abarth might go test drive that.

Does sound borderline and they're looking to precisely quantify the cost before making the decision.

Unfortunately it's just an 8 year old car to them as I'm presuming they don't know about the mods and the added value ;) so you can't plead on those grounds.

Just a thought, if it's market value is 4-4.5k and the repair is going to be say 60% or around £2.5k why not offer to make a contribution to it, it could tip it your way and you'd end up with your car back spick and span for a cost of maybe a few hudred quid. You say you got it cheap so you've got a bit of scope.

hi mate,

You are entitled to take your car to a repairer of your choice for the repair.

Find out how much your insurance are willing to pay towards the repair, then find a garage that you trust to quote under this for the work.

an independant repairer should be able to help you out no problem, as insurance always have way over the top prices.

Hope this helps.

I don't see why they should write it off - seems unfair to me!

Your going better car wise than me - I am looking at Octavias at the moment, in the same price range, but I couldn't afford an RS because of insurance - and your younger than me!!