Bloody pheasants...

Hit a suicidal pheasant yesterday as I was driving at 70mph on the A417 dual carriageway... Couldn't swerve to avoid because of other traffic and did not have time to stop safely.

I was quite surprissed to see the damage it has caused to my new Scout :( The foglight has been pushed all the way in, and the xenon light washer appears to have snapped off.

Looks like it might be an expensive roadkill :mad:

20677.attach

same happened to me - the fog light will pop back in no problems.

I've tried but I can't find a way of getting my hand round the back of it to push it back. The fog-light well rim is missing and I can't work out what has happened to the washer jet, so it will have to go to the dealers.

I think, at least, you might have broken some of the retaining clips for the foglight so a new one will be required, and similarly for your lamp washer. i'd suggest you get your dealer to look at it.

Mind you; lucky it was only a pheasant!

I hit a montjac deer at motorway speed in my Fabia a couple of years ago. It wiped out the front bumper, headlamp, foglight and power steering pump and cost over £1,500 plus VAT to repair. :eek: My Insurers coughed up for that. :thumbup:

I have had them on the 'alternate route' to the 417 down the back roads to Cheltenham... theyre everywhere with the whol e frantic "oh my G*d oh my G*d - im gonna get killed" look on their faces.

First thing to do is remove the bumper to asses the damage behind. The parts behind the foglight are quite significant so you'll need to take a look.

problem is you cant actually legally pick up the pheasent if you hit it, gotta be the lucky b@stard behind.

I hit one 3 years ago in a sprinter van, knocked the road angel and tomtom off the windscreen and put a dent through the glass with a big enough hole to stick my finger through. the blowers were still blowing glass out a few weeks later even after vacumming it everyday. did go and look for the pheasent but couldnt find it.

Well, it isn't too bad in the end, £190 all inc (2 hours labour). Now just have to wait for the parts...

On the plus side I discovered (thanks to their cleaning) that the left armrest on top of the jumbo box slides forward, not sure I would ever have noticed it by myself! (I did take me a few minutes to work out what was different about my driving position though ;))

So its a £190 pheasant then !!! not bad, a top resturant in London or Paris might charge that, then I expect you would have rather that was the case than your car being hit. Glad its ok now though.

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tor Combi.

I did something similar in my A4 (the black sline not the current one)

On the M1, outside lane with a VW Passat hanging of my behind and I see this pheasent up ahead dancing in and out of the lane.

It wanders back into the central reservation, then just as I come level it decides to play chicken. I couldn't go anywhere and it got sucked under the car.

Best bit was seeing the Passat's windscreen get cover in bird bits, blood and feathers. The Passat had to make a dive for the hard shoulder as his wipers couldn't clear the goo.

I had one hit me on the shoulder on my motorbike a couple of years ago. Flew out from a hedge in front of me. Didn't realise how big the f***ers were - felt like having a christmas turkey thrown at me. :eek:

....somehow, I managed to stay on!

Completely understand how it could do some serious damage to a car.