ESP - is it worth the extra cost? Or order an L&K?

deffinatly get it, and its rather easy to turn off, got the better of me when i did a hand brake turn and forgot the esp was switched on, kicked in and locked the front wheels up aswell :P

having driven my vRS with the ESP switched off, i still get the feeling it still comes into play and helps you, just not as much, i.e. a certain corner i took im sure i felt it bring the back end back in line. any one know any diffrent?

for day to day driving especially in bad conditions, it really is nice to know its there

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW if you really hit a big patch of black ice going too fast ESP won't save you, but you can watch the flashing light as you slide off the road. It does not allow you to break the laws of physics.

have you watched the video that 5th gear did with tiff driving, never underestimate the powers of ESP and as i have always said if you are constantly leaning on esp then your driving like a tool and dangerous, ESP is there for the unseen events.

No you don't. GET IT! It has saved my a** loads of times.

If it has saved your a** loads of times, perhaps you are driving above the ability of your car or yourself.

Remember ESP can save you, but that isn't much good if you rely on it to save you. If you do you will be driving past the ability of the car/driver and when it lets go ESP won't be able to save you.

If i could have a fun option of ESP at £400 I'd go for the ESP mind. If nothing else it is much less harsh compared to the ASR.

EDIT: Have to say I agree that if you are on sheet ice if the tyres can't grip then no amount of braking something that isn't gripping is going to help you. Snow fine, Ice, probably no chance.

It's helped me more than once. I once took a corner slightly too fast as I did not realise it was tighter then it looked. It allowed me to brake without losing control of the car and avoid hitting anything.

it has been a pain too, when we had the snow last year I had to get up a hill, and it kept cutting in making my progress slow and I had to pull over for other cars to pass (it was a dual carriageway narrowing to one). As soon as the system failed from over use the car started moving a lot easier as the car could grip better without the system stopping it slip.

Just a minor irritation but I understand why it was doing it so next time it happens I will just turn it off for that bit as it's use far outweighs the one negative I have found.

I have a 1.8tsi Elegance (bought in december 07) and I didn't order it with ESP but it has a button below the AC panel marked ESP & if you press it a yellow symbol (with swirls below) appears on the dash sowewhere. I know it turns off traction control from experience ......is this "ESP" the same?

(Also a TPM button near it - tyre pressure monitor I believe...had to pay an extra £90 for this as it was already on the available car )

esp is a yes, asr dont bother. Its not there to rely on every five minutes but for the times that you really need it. if you need it all the time or have to rely on it constantly then your driving needs looking at. however if it only kicks in once in a blue moon then its doing what it should do and your driving is correct ;)

Some pics with the L&K badges as requested.

19127d1202942491-clean2.jpg

17539d1194102115-l-k101.jpg

17537d1194027356-l-k-3.jpg

16084d1185820524-l-k5.jpg

As you can see they are not too intrusive. I often catch people looking at them in traffic trying to figure out what they say.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice I have colour coded the side strips too ;)

Go with the L&K and get the ESP thrown in. In a few years time nearly every car will have ESP as standard (think along the same lines as ABS).

I don't know why it isn't standard on your island. ESP is standard, as far as I know, throughout the whole of scandinavia.

As i've said before, I have experience with it (on public roads, and even on the motorway). Not because I drive recklessly, but because I have a high milage. And when you spend much time on the roads, dangerous situations occur, simply because you see more miles of asphalt in a year, than a normal bloke does in ten (and because theres a lot of idiots out there).

One recent near accident: A car in front of me crashes into another car. Causes havoc. Truck in the slow lane right in front of me swayes over in my lane to avoid. His speed 55 (mph), my speed 95.

Option 1(without ESP): PANIC. Brake. Turn steeringwheel. Car (if you are unlucky) tip over in a barrel-roll.

Option 2(with ESP): PANIC. Brake. Turn steeringwheel. Car do NOT tip over in a barrel-roll, because the ESP balances your car to get the optimal turning by interpreting sensors all over the place.

People: This works! I'd get ESP even if it cost the same as the whole car.

I don't know why it isn't standard on your island. ESP is standard, as far as I know, throughout the whole of scandinavia.

As i've said before, I have experience with it (on public roads, and even on the motorway). Not because I drive recklessly, but because I have a high milage. And when you spend much time on the roads, dangerous situations occur, simply because you see more miles of asphalt in a year, than a normal bloke does in ten (and because theres a lot of idiots out there).

One recent near accident: A car in front of me crashes into another car. Causes havoc. Truck in the slow lane right in front of me swayes over in my lane to avoid. His speed 55 (mph), my speed 95.

Option 1(without ESP): PANIC. Brake. Turn steeringwheel. Car (if you are unlucky) tip over in a barrel-roll.

Option 2(with ESP): PANIC. Brake. Turn steeringwheel. Car do NOT tip over in a barrel-roll, because the ESP balances your car to get the optimal turning by interpreting sensors all over the place.

People: This works! I'd get ESP even if it cost the same as the whole car.

ESP is standard on the UK L&K. I just didn't write it very well :rolleyes:

And yes, it should be standard on ALL models.

NO! For goodness sake DON'T.

Weeeel, if its playtime do :thumbup:

having just checked with my manual we were both right, it says to disable ESP if using snowchains or when pulling away on deep snow or ice.

a light colour will encourage you to keep it clean:D

Full time job :rofl:

To be fair it was quite sunny making it a bit lighter than it really is :D

17536d1194027356-l-k-2.jpg

Some pics with the L&K badges as requested.

19127d1202942491-clean2.jpg

17539d1194102115-l-k101.jpg

17537d1194027356-l-k-3.jpg

16084d1185820524-l-k5.jpg

As you can see they are not too intrusive. I often catch people looking at them in traffic trying to figure out what they say.

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice I have colour coded the side strips too ;)

Thanks - in an earlier thread in this post, GK says that on their L&K the L&K badge also appears on the bootlid - is this not the case on yours?

The L&K sticker isn't on the bootlid, all I have is the "OCTAVIA" lettering with TDI underneath it.

The Pre Feb/March 2007 L&K models had it on the boot but this went with the model revision after said date.

You're only supposed to turn it off in the snow if you get stuck and can't get moving!

I've owned my 330Ci for 4 1/2 yrs and I was saved about 2 weeks ago by the BMW version of ESP. Thought I knew my car pretty well but its the 1st time I can honestly say I think I was saved by the electronics. A Ford Focus which was about 10 seconds behind me spun off on the same roundabout.

I'd definitely get it - money well spent in my opinion and I'm sure you'll recoup some of it when you come to get rid of the car.

The L&K sticker isn't on the bootlid, all I have is the "OCTAVIA" lettering with TDI underneath it.

The Pre Feb/March 2007 L&K models had it on the boot but this went with the model revision after said date.

Oops! I stand corrected My Octy DOES NOT have the badge on the bootlid. My apologies,, Have to wash it more often!! .

You're only supposed to turn it off in the snow if you get stuck and can't get moving!

I've owned my 330Ci for 4 1/2 yrs and I was saved about 2 weeks ago by the BMW version of ESP. Thought I knew my car pretty well but its the 1st time I can honestly say I think I was saved by the electronics. A Ford Focus which was about 10 seconds behind me spun off on the same roundabout.

I'd definitely get it - money well spent in my opinion and I'm sure you'll recoup some of it when you come to get rid of the car.

did you actually read all my posts?

3rd post after my first and 14mins later i admitted i had remembered it wrong and you should only turn it off when using snow chains or when starting off in very slippery situations.

and Micky i am well aware of ESP and that video, i have ESP on my car and i think its wonderful and i am one of the ones championing it.