Anyone tried V-Power Diesel in their VRS?

rik_t

Hi.

I have just filled up my Fabia VRS with V-Power diesel. Not had in in long enough to notice a difference.

I guess people have used this by now, what do you think? any difference to running and MPG?

Thanks

I've been putting V-power diesel in mine for a while now and i dont care what anyone says, it def makes a difference in mine!!!:P

ALOT, and i mean ALOT less soot comes out the back!!! My car was really bad for this before but def much better now.:thumbup:

Ian:)

I ran my unmodified vRS with V Power for about 5k miles during the summer 07.Since then it had Shell Diesel Extra for 5k miles.For the last 3k miles it's run on Sainsburys City Diesel.

There is no noticable difference in performance,engine refinement,starting,emissions.The BIG difference is the rate at which I'm accumulating Nectar points,because Diesel is so bloody expensive.

I wanted V Power to be better,I really did,but experience proved otherwise.

Theres another thread on this. Think we came to the decision that it didnt smoke as much on the V power and not really any major gains in mpg either so just stick with normal with some millers sport 4 in

I use v-power or bp ultimate all the time topped off with millers diesels sport 4

I never use supermarket fuel and if i have to i only put in a fiver or so so that i can make it to the nearest bp / shell garage

What do you find the pro's are with opting for the more expensive fuel?

60k in works van on Tescos, and running the Furby on Tescos + Millers 4. No problems with either and accumulates enough clubcard points to pay for Christmas! I sometimes have a tank of the premium stuff but haven't noticed a difference.

Religiously ran mine on V-Power, driving 15 mile round trip just to the nearest forecourt that sold it, nearly ran out at work 1 day and put £10 Asda in and not looked back since!! It feels more responsive on Asda diesel and its 10p litre cheaper. Bit more smoke but now I have fixed my rear window washer, who cares?? I use Forte Diesel Treatment in every 3rd tank full though.

all the super market chain fuel is dung, shell, maxol or bp, they all put additives in it but supermarkets fuel is the bare min.

Dung??

Additives??

- I myself work at a Murco garage and must state for a Fact that the fuel we get has nothing added to it.

- The garage I work at is also frequently hit with 'random checks' - From Trading Standards to see that the pumps (which are sealed) have not been tampered with and are giving out the correct Measures and Fuel ect...

- The fuel is also tested to make sure that we A) Have nothing leaking into the tanks and B) Do not alter the Fuel.

- I urge you to take your finding to Trading Standards. Oh and Please also back-up your post with relevant information.

Many thanks,

Rob

I use V-Power Diesel all the time based on the fact that my old Saxo VTR ran noticeably smoother and spritelier with the Shell Optimax (now V-Power) but the rising cost of diesel overall is alarming to say the least.

EVO magazine ran a very interesting test a few years ago. The inspected the pistons of a few different engine configurations; 4-cylinder, V8 etc and Shell Optimax actually removed the deposits on the piston crowns over a monitored period of time with an increase of power as a result. Made for interesting reading and was some food for thought.

Sadly, it didn't bring the cost of fuel down...

I've tried it for a few tanks.

The benefits are: Less smoky/sooty, and quieter and smoother engine

There was no noticable improvement in economy or performance.

I don't reckon it's worth it (even for a toy ferrari!)

dunno about v-power... but i use BP ultimate in mine..... I have tested this....

take the last two cat'n'fiddle meets for example (about 150-200 mile s away from me!) I ran one on "standard" BP, and another on BP ultimate....

can't say I noticed a difference in power, but the ultimate was less smokey, and gave a definate improvement to fuel economy..... I ran the same speed down there both times (indicated 80 mph... real 75 ish) and the BP ultimate basically pays for itself with the higher fule economy (have tested it in circumstanses other than m/way too....) so given that they say it has all these lubricating abilities, and cleaning abilities ,and their internet tests prove it goes further and gives more power (well it did on the focus ST's they tested it on as someone else said, it may not be worth it if you don't have a high performance car) I'll be stcking with Bp ultimate....

The standard fuels (basic petrol and diesel) you buy from your local forecourt will come from the nearest refinery to the forecourt. Doesn't matter who owns the forecourt, the standard fuels will come from the nearest refinery. The branded forecourts have their own additives added to the standard fuels at the refinery end. The supermarkets don't have any additive added to the fuel. No additions are made to any fuels outside of the refinery gates.

The premium fuels specific to a forecourt's brand will come directly from a refinery owned by that brand. This is because the premium fuels are based on different base blends of fuel compared with the standard base blend.

When it comes to differences between the standard and premium fuels there are a couple of subtleties. The petrol premium fuels do give more power, this is most noticeable in older engines, more modern engines already have complex systems in place that adjust the combustion to be as efficient as possible. The diesel premium fuels do not give higher power, they do however give better fuel economy and lower emissions.

Are they worth the extra money? That's up to you. However, I always fill up at a branded forecourt, one specific brand in fact.

Filled up with v power on the a 1 on the way back from london cos i couldn't get a standard pump noticed no difference from the usual morrisons d , and i get a fiver every now and then from morrison to spend in shop, how fast and eco friendly you drive is all based on skill anyway:rofl:

Ahhh goody another thread where I get to use this;

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22404&g2_serialNumber=2

In the last 7 years I have done over 400,000 miles in various different cars and I have tried it all. Everything. The lot. The full range. The whole package. If it was there, I had it especially when I had a company fuel card.

None of it made any difference. It's all the same, you get good tanks and bad tanks no matter what the brand and your more than likely to find the general conditions will effect the power/smoke more than your fuel. I think BP Ultimate gave a few extra MPG after a few tanks had passed but it was nowhere near enough to justify the price and it didn't do the car any better over time either. I currently use a mix of whatever is cheapest and b100 Bio. Runs great and it works out about £1.05 a litre the way I run it.

I could also go on about cetane ratings and the specific science behind it all as I have done in the past when posting this thread which seems to reoccur every 3-4 months but it would probably be a wasted effort. At the end of the day, if you get a sense of satisfaction out of paying a premium for your fuel then knock yourself out, it's worth the extra just to feel good about it. I am sure the oil companies love you all:thumbup:

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back where a guy had done his own testing over 15k miles with regular diesel, regular + Millers PS4, Ultimate and Ultimate + MPS4. IIRC he found that regular diesel with MPS4 gave the best performance and economy, and if the MPS4 is bought direct from Millers in 5l drums then it only added 1p per litre, making it significantly cheaper than any of the supposed 'performance diesels'. He found no benefit in adding MPS4 to Ultimate as it was already near the optimum cetane rating. I now run on Shell regular (whatever they call it this week) at £1.12.9 and a shot of MPS4.