Skoda Superb - Buying one tomorrow - Urgent advice required

Hi need you valuable advice.

Hoping to buy a Skoda Superb from private owner tomorrow. It’s a 2004 54 reg 1.9td 130bhp Comfort model.

I’ve been looking one for ages and finally found one which has done 65k miles with full Skoda service history.

Want to know what should I be checking for when I go? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The usual diesel things re oil.

Specifics re car, check for any damp carpets on passenger side, if things plenum chamber drain holes (sp?) have been blocked then thats a potential issue.

Would suggest you try the parking sensors and air-con and other electronics etc. My parking sensors needed changing under warranty, as did one of the window rollers.

Tyres and brakes etc.

This won't have had cambelt change yet

Enjoy your new car should you decide to go for it.

not a lot I can think of really, that's not already been mentioned - CD magazine in the autochanger? (I think there's one in the Comfort);

rear window isolator switch on driver's door;

make sure you have 2 keys, and they both start the car (expensive to get a new one).

welcome to the world of Superb motoring

:thumbup:

2004?

Check the MOT history

MOT Information - Introduction

and get a £5 HPI check from Car Insurance, Breakdown Cover, Status Check, Personal Injury Claim, Car Loan

65k miles? Ask if the cambelt was changed as VAG engines need them changing at 60k miles I believe

And give everything a good going over and test drive before deciding you want it.

Look around the EGR valve (silver dome poking through plastic engine cover) for signs of oil leakage. I looked at quite a few Superbs and many had this problem, indicating that crankcase or turbocharger bearing oil is being pulled into the inlet. A small leak from the lower intercooler connection is normal.

Check for even tyre wear and that all fluids are correct and clean, especially the coolant. Use a torch to assess rear disk condition - likely to be very borderline at 65k or replaced if you're lucky.

On the test drive, check for clutch judder, DMF noise/vibration and that it goes straight under hard acceleration and braking on a level road. If auto (I hope not) check gearbox very carefully as they are prone to problems.

Check for water ingress as mentioned, very carefully indeed.

Check all toys and aircon - then haggle very hard.

rotodiesel.

Thank you all for your sound advice. The guy emailed me juts now to say he has somebody else viewing this afternoon so I'm now waiting. If I do end up going I'll report back with the conclusion and hopefully some photos.

How much is it going for?

Long story but the car had outstanding finance and I had agreed the way forward to clear the finance directly with the finance company. To cut a long story short he wanted £5795. Had a call from him in he last hour to say a taxi driver from Liverpool came to see the car this afternoon and bought it. So back to the drawing board.

just like to mention that i have a skoda superb 140 bhp with dpf.....apart from it actually burning off the soot as it was designed to do, i have absolutely no major issues with the car at all, all superbs have their faults, some minor, some major, so regarding to purchasing a superb whether its a 1.9 classic or a comfort or even an elegance model, problems will occur even if its old or new....which reminds me, mines going in for warranty work on drivers seat as it wont go forwards or back lol...but as for driving it.....no complaints at all...like all cars, service history is a must....so go ahead and buy one, and enjoy!! regards