Today I replaced my RNS510 (columbus) with a Kenwood DNX520VBT

Nick P

I know there has been some interest in these and not much information besides (incomplete) specs on Kenwood's site and some foreign vids on YouTube. I got one today and replaced my RNS510 with it...

001-1024.jpg

004-1024.jpg

003-1024.jpg

So on the back of the unit we have...

Radia antenna connector

Stereo line outs for a subwoofer channel and front and rear channels.

Reversing camera video input

Aux AV inputs

AV outputs for driving rear seat monitors etc

Microphone input

Sat nav antenna connection

TV tuner interface

Rear mini USB socket (not mentioned on Kenwood's site)

and the main connector which goes to a quadlock adapter

007-1024.jpg

009-1024.jpg

The sound quality is superb - better than the 510. The nav is REALLY quick and responsive - easily the fastest I've used of any sort - be it built in OEM / aftermarket / portable. The bluetooth works perfectly with my iPhone 3G. I'm very pleased. B)

Nice unit, can you change the key colours and the boot logo easily?, can you connect an ipod at the back?, and is it possible you could post some pics of the interface up ie. Radio, dvd. Ipod, phone etc. This unit looks as though it could kick the Columbus well into touch, especially with the inbuilt parrot system.

Mmmmmm........bit of a strange one this, I know it's all down to personal choice, so please do not take this as criticism, more of an objective observation.........I owned the DNX 7200 for 4 years, bought brand new and fitted to my previous octy vrs mk1's, it was a brilliant bit of kit, so much so that after 4 years I sold it for pretty much what I bought it for, This unit that nick has fitted is the latest incarnation but based upon the model down ie DNX52XX but is more advanced than the DNX7200 in a few ways, running the latest Garmin software.

The reason I see it as a little bit of a strange choice is that it is in my opinion a sideways move on the RNS510 from what I can see, in that both units do exactly the same, with the V7 maps, the Kenwood unit has the sound advantage in that its 4x50w but to truly make use of the full connectivity and the potential of the Kenwood you really need to be hooking it up to amps and a sub. I've hooked the RNS upto a Blaupunkt pnp amp at 4 x 150w it sounds brilliant even on the weedy standard speakers ( I've got 2 sets of high end components to go in shortly) The mapping on both the RNS and the Kenwood is excellent with the advantage of being able to load speed camera alerts on the Kenwood but in reality you will have the alert 'bong' switched off as it becomes highly annoying with all the 'potential' mobile trap sites. As far as I can see the Kenwood does not talk to maxidot so you lose the Nav in instruments function which is something I personally think I could not do without ( I may be wrong if so please correct me)

In summary, the Kenwood is an excellent unit for the VAG platform if you don't already own an RNS, if you do its really a bit of an expensive sideways move as far as I can see.....would love to be proven wrong as my Kenwood was absolutely brilliant, as will be the one Nick has fitted!! :thumbup: for having the B***s to take the jump!

Nick's a bit of a headbanger - I'm sure he'll be fitting a whacking great sub to fill his boot in the near future........

........if only to challenge the Protons which were at Chatsworth this year :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

To answer a couple of questions from the Octavia 2 thread...

No, it doesn't talk to a Maxidot / DIS / MFD at all.

The TV tuner for it is a Kenwood KTC-D500E which is about £260.

Nice unit, can you change the key colours and the boot logo easily?

Yes, I haven't swapped the VW logo for a Skoda / briskoda one yet, but I understnd it's easy to do. You can change the illumination on the unit to any colour. I tried different greens but I like the white.

can you connect an ipod at the back?

Yes, I believe so. The connectivity on the back of the unit suggests so and I think I saw an option for rear iPod in the menus.

and is it possible you could post some pics of the interface up ie. Radio, dvd. Ipod, phone etc.

Sure, in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Good post The Skud... I guess this will answer Wardy's question too...

Reasons for getting it were...

1. Better sound quality. Sounds better than the Columbus even just with the stock speakers. But I'm intending to do deadening and speaker upgrades in the spring.
  2. Option to re-use an amp and sub I've had sitting in the shed since my last car
  3. Curiosity - just nice to try something new :giggle:
  4. I needed bluetooth anyway and this has it built in, saving me £250 - £300 or so on getting the bits to go with the Coumbus
  5. Ipod connectivity - I was fairly happy just using SDHC cards in the Columbus but my wife's got two ipods and we've both got iPhones. I could never bring myself to stump up the money for MDI for the Columbus.

I used to have a Kenwood 7025 in my last car and always liked it so I felt pretty confident about getting this new one.

I think on the maxidot integration front, yes that would have been great, and not having it definitely makes it feel OEM- :giggle: but whilst it was quite a nice upmarket feeling bit of integration with the Columbus, I actually didn't make that much use of it.

All you need now for it Nick is a subscription to pocketgps.com and you will have bang up to date speedcams all the time, you can load the road speeds as poi's if you feel that way inclined along with just about any other POI's you want!!

I think if it doesn't talk to the Maxidot then it's quite pricey really as the ordinary DNX-5260BT is about £300 cheaper and is basically the same unit. Add £70 for a Connects2 cable and facia adaptor and you're still a little bit up on the deal. I think Allams online has them for £899 minus 10% briskoda discount would be £810 so a lot more palatable. I genuinely don't get why Kenwood would eork with VAG and not talk to maxidot. For iPod integration you need the Kenwood i301 cable which plays back both music and video. It's £15 off eBay. The iPod integration is superb though. You get full control and even the CD insert artwork is displayed on screen. Plugging into the mini-USB at the back gives direct access to the Garmin part of the unit.

1. I needed bluetooth anyway and this has it built in, saving me £250 - £300 or so on getting the bits to go with the Coumbus
  2. Ipod connectivity - I was fairly happy just using SDHC cards in the Columbus but my wife's got two ipods and we've both got iPhones. I could never bring myself to stump up the money for MDI for the Columbus.

This is the killer for me, if I had not already paid for the MDI and my fiscon bluetooth then a unit like this would make a lot of sense as it has those features already built in PLUS the nav.. as it is its harder to justify the money over my bolero + tomtom. Nice bit of kit though - maybe next time..

;)

• 1 year later...

Spotify on the iphone works perfectly with the DNX520VBT. It puts the album art on screen and I can navigate through my playlists with the steering wheel controls.

This is how I tend to listen to music in the car now. Just stream 320kbits to spotify over 3G. Buffering works well for any dropouts in signal. I can listen to just about any music on a whim without having to download it.

• 5 months later...

To answer a couple of questions from the Octavia 2 thread...

No, it doesn't talk to a Maxidot / DIS / MFD at all.

The TV tuner for it is a Kenwood KTC-D500E which is about £260.

Hi, I'm new to the site & to Skodas, I have a series 3 fabia that currently has a swing stereo with Bluetooth phone connectivity & steering wheel controls. I am considering this kenwood head unit but I am concerned that things won't work that work now due to it not talking to the maxi dot. Can you tell me if I am worrying for nothing. What will & will not work regarding the maxi dot & this head unit.

Many thanks guys

Shakey

Was going to purchase this head unit today but now been told that not only does it not talk to the maxi dot but also my reversing sensors will not show up on the display, can anyone confirm if this is correct.

Cheers

Shakey