Spare wheel AND internal bike carrier

rockhopper

I bought Elsie with a spare wheel. Done deal really at £55. But I also wanted to carry my bicycle inside the car. So I bought all the extras needed. I have now just had a play.....

Elsie as supplied:

post-36710-12949415343048_thumb.jpg

Elsie with all spare wheel bits removed (need a torx driver):

post-36710-1294941535554_thumb.jpg

Elsie with Polystyrene filler placed in boot:

post-36710-12949415363571_thumb.jpg

Boot floor fitted, with first aid kit and warning triangle:

post-36710-12949415374918_thumb.jpg

Rear view of boot (and 2 seats):

post-36710-1294941539185_thumb.jpg

My bike mounted to the internal bike carrier, spare wheel and 1 rear seat in situ - in the "centre" position:

post-36710-1294941540881_thumb.jpg

Spare wheel, Internal bike carrier and rubber mat:

post-36710-12949415417232_thumb.jpg

So, when you are told by Skoda that you can't have both, that is a lie.....you just can't have the false floor etc, and the spare wheel is not covered. All of a sudden I have so much more room in the boot.emoticon-0100-smile.gif It all fits nicely.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper
  • Like 1

Like it... Just that that carrier is VERY pricey... And I usually carry two bikes or more. But I do like it. How much was the Polystyrene filler and the lower carpet? I like the idea of the more room...

Edit: in fact I don't need the carpet as I have two rubber boot mats.

AND remember you can get TONS more room in there if you turn your spare the other way around!

Edited by 900000

Like it... Just that that carrier is VERY pricey... And I usually carry two bikes or more. But I do like it. How much was the Polystyrene filler and the lower carpet? I like the idea of the more room...

Edit: in fact I don't need the carpet as I have two rubber boot mats.

AND remember you can get TONS more room in there if you turn your spare the other way around!

Hi Johann

The polystyrene filler was about £26 and the boot floor, which has sound insulation on the bottom and carpet on top of the hardboard, with lots of spacers and cut outs, was around £55.

I picked the carrier up via ebay, from a forum member for about £60, which is what they had paid for it.

I also have 2 rubber mats. Yes I can turn the spare upside down....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

Whilst we are on the subject of boot floors.

The correct part number you need for the boot floor without spare wheel is 5L6 863 463 C 1BS

Thanks Mike and James...

I thought I could get away with the boot floor and just use the rubber mat but since you pointed out the sound insulation material I guess best not to skimp on that!

Thanks Mike and James...

I thought I could get away with the boot floor and just use the rubber mat but since you pointed out the sound insulation material I guess best not to skimp on that!

You need it all unfortunately to make the floor level. Lumps, bumps and screws sticking up otherwise.

Mike

Sorry to pour cold water on the cunning plan, but you now have an unrestrained decapitation device sitting in the boot.

You really do need to restrain the spare wheel somehow, as in a collision it can become a lethal object, even with the adjacent seat in the raised position.

Skoda do not offer the bike kit for cars with spare wheel because of the rist of litigation should someone be injured by a loose spare wheel.

I think your solution is great in theory... it's a shame that Skoda dont make an adaptor to mount the spare vertically in the boot!

Neat solution - would recommend doing the reat seatbelt up when in motion, if the spare is "loose".

I always do all rear seatbelts up if I have something (e.g. suitcase) in the boot.

Why? the seat is in-between the 'suitcase' and the seat belt

That spare may be loose, but on the rubber mat will not move anywhere.....

There are small slots in the trim beside the rear seats to locate the seatbelts when not in use.

Mike

There are small slots in the trim beside the rear seats to locate the seatbelts when not in use.

Mike

And they rattle like hell when stowed there!

Sorry to pour cold water on the cunning plan, but you now have an unrestrained decapitation device sitting in the boot.

You really do need to restrain the spare wheel somehow, as in a collision it can become a lethal object, even with the adjacent seat in the raised position.

Skoda do not offer the bike kit for cars with spare wheel because of the rist of litigation should someone be injured by a loose spare wheel.

Skoda don't offer the internal bike rack with the spare wheel because it won't fit. emoticon-0140-rofl.gif It fastens to the U clips at boot floor level, where the net program connects to.

I think your solution is great in theory... it's a shame that Skoda dont make an adaptor to mount the spare vertically in the boot!

Great idea. They do.

The bar which the hangers clip on to would be ideal. Just strap it to one side. Just can't use the boot cover. Doh!

In the mean time I will continue to use another net or straps to restrain the wheel.

Mike

Hi Johann

The polystyrene filler was about £26 and the boot floor, which has sound insulation on the bottom and carpet on top of the hardboard, with lots of spacers and cut outs, was around £55.

I picked the carrier up via ebay, from a forum member for about £60, which is what they had paid for it.

I also have 2 rubber mats. Yes I can turn the spare upside down....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Any idea of the part number for the polystyrene filler? I am thinking of experimenting with reversing the spare wheel, and relocating the jack etc., which is underneath the spare at the moment on our model, which I find is a nuisance having to lift out the spare to get at the tools. I have a dodgy back, and any unnecessary lifting of the spare is to be avoided! I may also remove one of the polystyrene trays as Johann suggests. Tony

Any idea of the part number for the polystyrene filler? I am thinking of experimenting with reversing the spare wheel, and relocating the jack etc., which is underneath the spare at the moment on our model, which I find is a nuisance having to lift out the spare to get at the tools. I have a dodgy back, and any unnecessary lifting of the spare is to be avoided! I may also remove one of the polystyrene trays as Johann suggests. Tony

The number I gave James to order was 5L6863957.

found this somewhere on the forum, but can't find the link to confirm & its now dark and the spare is heavy......

Mike

The number I gave James to order was 5L6863957.

found this somewhere on the forum, but can't find the link to confirm & its now dark and the spare is heavy......

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll try that for starters, don't go lifting it all out to check. My dealers spares dept. is closed now until Monday anyway, so I'll experiment this weekend, Cheers Tony

Thanks Mike, I'll try that for starters, don't go lifting it all out to check. My dealers spares dept. is closed now until Monday anyway, so I'll experiment this weekend, Cheers Tony

Mikes number is correct depending on build date; believe it or not its been superseded twice :o

5L6 863 957 - from production start to 30/05/10

5L6 863 957 A - 31/05/10 to 03/10/10

5L6 863 957 B - 04/10/10 to present

Regards,

TP

Mikes number is correct depending on build date; believe it or not its been superseded twice :o

5L6 863 957 - from production start to 30/05/10

5L6 863 957 A - 31/05/10 to 03/10/10

5L6 863 957 B - 04/10/10 to present

Regards,

TP

Thanks Tim, a mine of information as usual! I may or may not need it, I'll have a play this weekend. On our Golf Plus I also reversed a full size spare wheel, and bought a shorter centre locking spindle which I think will fit the Yeti, so there won't be a long spindle sticking up and wasting space. Ideally I would like to find one of those polystyrene trays for the jack etc., that fit inside the 16 inch spare when it's reversed. Cheers Tony

Thanks Tim, a mine of information as usual! I may or may not need it, I'll have a play this weekend. On our Golf Plus I also reversed a full size spare wheel, and bought a shorter centre locking spindle which I think will fit the Yeti, so there won't be a long spindle sticking up and wasting space. Ideally I would like to find one of those polystyrene trays for the jack etc., that fit inside the 16 inch spare when it's reversed. Cheers Tony

Probably your best bet is a tool tray from a Golf V/VI as they use the same securing post system.

Possible need;

1K0 012 115F or 1K0 012 115C

Shortest post I've found is a 49mm;

1K0 803 899 B

there is also a 109mm variant;

1K0 803 899 D

The Yeti uses the same number but ending in E, unfortunately dimensions not specified.

Regards,

TP

Probably your best bet is a tool tray from a Golf V/VI as they use the same securing post system.

Possible need;

1K0 012 115F or 1K0 012 115C

Shortest post I've found is a 49mm;

1K0 803 899 B

there is also a 109mm variant;

1K0 803 899 D

The Yeti uses the same number but ending in E, unfortunately dimensions not specified.

Regards,

TP

Thanks again Tim, it was the 49mm one I used before I think.The tray number will be useful, though I may be able to get one at a breakers to try if they are too expensive. I'll certainly look into all this, as I'm not too happy with the tools under the wheel. At least with the Yeti it's possible to try all these things to individual taste! Cheers Tony

I wonder if the latest spec "Spare wheel tool tray" will fit inside the spare whenthe wheel is t'other way up? Its underside would need to be the right shape to sit in the wheel of course.

Scroll down to photo of blue Yeti

You'd need to fashion a thin washer to fit on the post to allow the retainer nut to screw down securely, but it may be an alternative way of gaining access to everything without disturbing the wheel.

I have done some playing after washing Elsie today

Here is the spare wheel in boot standing up: (secured to the railemoticon-0136-giggle.gif)

post-36710-12951017204868_thumb.jpg

post-36710-12951017545801_thumb.jpg

You can't fit the cover as the wheel is too tall unfortunately - see locating peg:

post-36710-1295101755944_thumb.jpg

and in the lying down state, upside down (for Johann) secured:

post-36710-12951017577051_thumb.jpg

edit: The wheel can go either side.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

Awh!!! Lots more space for stuff!!!

I many ways I prefer the upright position, If I could find a way of covering the boot. But saying that, it does have sunset glass, so people can't peek too much...

Mike