My current 16" spiders have had intimate relations with some very nasty kerbs of late leading to them looking like this:
While I could just replace them what do i then do with a set of alloys that are so damanged?
No one is going to want to buy them; and it's too expensive to get the repaired (I was quoted Â£90 a corner) so instead I'll fix themself!!
Yes it'a a big project. No I didn't realise quite how big. Yes i am still going to do it as it's now a matter of principal
To make it as easy as possible and keep the car as the other halfs daily commuter a second set of wheels were a necessity.
Luckily Gareth_1.8T had a set of 16" spiders for sale so a deal was done and they are now mine.
This means I can get a set of the wheels I want looking how I want to look with no interruption to the cars daily use and no need to pay someone to swap all the rubber over from set to set etc etc
A cunning plan worthy of Baldrick I think you'll agree!
While the second sets looks ok from a distance
when you get up close there is various damage to the faces of all 4 wheels
and they are also very clearly from 2 different sets of wheels (2 of the wheels are actually wheels I sold to Gareth back in May)
2 are smooth and in good nick
the other 2 are... um.... very much not
these are the 2 that i previously owned and you can see why I got rid originally!
I did forget to take any "before" pictures so those above are after the cleaning however I they were stained enough to use a lot of wonder wheels and reduce a brand new scourer to this
but the wheels were at least silver again so into the garage they went for the hard work to begin.
Now the bubbling on the inside of the rims is an absolute killer.
I did attempt to stop the corrosion when i owned the wheels previously with a coat of silver hammerite but that clearly didn't work. I think as my hammeriting didn't extend over the lip and onto the face the moisture continued to get in behind the paint and the corrsion continued.
So it was out with the wire brush and a big flat headed screw driver and started chipping away at the damage.
Half an hour later and one rim has the worst removed but will still need some vigorous sanding to get a smooth finish but has gone from this:
Leaving behind this
I find that where the alloy beneath was actually smooth the Hammerite pretty much slid right off so i think most of what has come off is my previous handy work but hey ho.
Happy so far although when i did attempt to sand one of the smoother sections of the rim I found that the coarsest wet & dry paper in the assorted pack i bought (P600) wasn't up to the job. I think it'll be fine to key into the lacquer on the face ready for priming however removal of a layer of Hammerite and the original paint was a little beyond it; so i'll be heading back to B&Q to buy something a bit more heavy duty.
Cost so far
Â£100 for the wheels
Â£5 for a lovely Czech man to remove the tyres from the 2 rims that has rubber (and talk Skoda for 10 minutes - he also has Fabia sized part worn tyres are very reasonable rates)
18p for the scourer
78p for a cork sanding block
Â£4.95 for assorted pack of wet & dry paper
Â£24.65 for 1000ml of Primer, Gloss Black, and Lacquer (due to arrive Tuesday)
Running Total: Â£135.56
Approx time spent on project - 1 hour 15 minutes
Edited by PastyBoy, 27 January 2011 - 11:13.