Tyre upsize to 215/65 R16 ?

sameerdass

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice from the experienced offoroaders out there...!

I have a Skoda Yeti 140 4x4 in India and the stock tyre size is 215/60 R16. The stock tyres are Goodyear Excellence, which are normally car tyres and not really 4x4 tyres.

I checked almost all the brands in India and there are almost no AT tyres available in 215/60 R 16 size in India . (only option is Yokohama Geolandar G012, but available on special import with 4 weeks lead time).

The other option of size which is readily available is 215/65 R 16 in AT (Yokohama, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kumho and many other).

The rolling circumference for the 215/60 R 16 tyres is 2003.78 mm and for the 215/65 R 16 tyres is 2068.62 mm and the resultant speedo error would be around 3.24%.. which is marginal, and should be ok as the speedo actually underreports the speed by 3-4% (checked against my GPS).

In theory, it looks are it were possible, but I am in a fix on how it would be in reality..!

I am planning to go for a 3000 km round trip to a place called Ladhakh in India, of which 1000 kms is totally dirt track and rocky terrain and I would not risk going there without proper AT tyres!

I am looking forward to some expert advice on a few aspects:

1) Whether the new tyres would foul with any of the wheel arches

2) how would it affect steering and handling

3) Ground clearance should improve by around 10 mm, which is better for rough terrain, but will affect the CG and stability of the yeti

4) What is the specified water wading depth for the Yeti and any precautions I need to take while driving thru deep water

5) Any other effects on the ride quality (will it be better / worse)

Any other advice on offroading will be very welcome... as I am still a novice and would really appreciate advice from the experts on the forum.

Thanks!

Since the Yeti is permitted to use chains for winter driving with the stock tyre size, there is not likely to be any interferance with the extra 10.8 mm radius. But I do not know for sure.

My guess is that you will not notice much in the way of different handling.

You might also see if the 205/65 R16 tyre size is available, as that would get you to within 1.3% of the original diameter and definitely clear everything. The 10 mm narrower size will also not be noticeable much, but maybe a slighty less crisp high speed cornering.

Thanks everyone, will definitely post some nice pics on return. However the trip is still subject to weather permitting as the roads, which are in extremely mountainous terrain, open up only in a very short window of June-Aug (rest of the time they are blocked with snow). Temperatures during the Jun-Aug period vary from -5 to +10C in the day (in summer) and -35 to -20 Celsius in winter.

Yes, availability of spares is definitely a top priority for this journey, but it is common for people to get 2-3 punctures and even torn tyres in this journey, so have to be prepared for everything!

AT tyres are unfortunately now available in any brand in a size smaller than 215/65R 16.. which is why I am stuck in a dilemma!

I will try to get the stock size Yokohama Geolandars in AT.

I was hoping that someone in the forum may have tried this upsize and may have some experiences to share...

Thanks Again! ;)

I have read from Russian Yeti forum, that many of their members using size 215/65 R16 as winter tyres with absolutely no problems. Their purpose is to get bit better ground clearance for snowy period.

Hi Everyone,

I have a Skoda Yeti 140 4x4 in India and the stock tyre size is 215/60 R16. The stock tyres are Goodyear Excellence, which are normally car tyres and not really 4x4 tyres.

I checked almost all the brands in India and there are almost no AT tyres available in 215/60 R 16 size in India . (only option is Yokohama Geolandar G012, but available on special import with 4 weeks lead time).

The other option of size which is readily available is 215/65 R 16 in AT (Yokohama, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kumho and many other).

The rolling circumference for the 215/60 R 16 tyres is 2003.78 mm and for the 215/65 R 16 tyres is 2068.62 mm and the resultant speedo error would be around 3.24%.. which is marginal, and should be ok as the speedo actually underreports the speed by 3-4% (checked against my GPS).

In theory, it looks are it were possible, but I am in a fix on how it would be in reality..!

I am planning to go for a 3000 km round trip to a place called Ladhakh in India, of which 1000 kms is totally dirt track and rocky terrain and I would not risk going there without proper AT tyres!

3) Ground clearance should improve by around 10 mm, which is better for rough terrain, but will affect the CG and stability of the yeti

4) What is the specified water wading depth for the Yeti and any precautions I need to take while driving thru deep water

Any other advice on offroading will be very welcome... as I am still a novice and would really appreciate advice from the experts on the forum.

Thanks!

a friend of mine (yeti 140)switched the tires for 215/65 16 in october 2010. the reason was ground clearance and better traction in the mud. he was looking for a compromise withe regard of keeping as much of excellent behavior on asphalt as possible.

i am not sure about about exact type of tire i think it is some of michelin latitude m+s family.

no problems, the car is just a bit more softer and undirect on the road but this is more due to the mud tread than the 65profile.

peter.

I've done a journey from Leh (Ladakh) to Srinigar (Kashmir). I would seriously consider fitting 16" steel wheels and a matching spare with 205x55R16 M+S tyres. That size is widely available and steels are more damage tolerant and repairable. Have a look at the Skoda Scout Experiences in Russia and Australia - it might help with preparations.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/about/info/press/news/pages/expeditionoctaviascoutexperience2007.aspx

http://www.skoda.com.au/scout/experience-car.aspx

Edited by London Les

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

I don't know if this helps but I used 215/55-16 winter tyres on my Yeti Tdi 140 last winter with no problems.

John

If you cant get a specific snorkel fitment for the car, and if the distance is not too far your best option is to reverse through the water ensuring you keep up a resonably stable speed and dont stop, the pressure of air out the exhaust will be enough, and the slip/shelter of the engine area in tow should enable enough air to remain for the engine to run..

Also check your manual, think it gives a water height in there. Believe this is on page 179 of the UK models and states 'at the maximum the web of the sill'.

"What is the specified water wading depth for the Yeti and any precautions I need to take while driving thru deep water"

I'm not going to be the one to say what depth you'd be OK with, but I will beg you to be careful with a new Yeti worth, in the UK, over £20k. I say this having foolishly attempted to ford a body of water far too deep for the car in question - and it suffered hydraulic lock and stopped indignantly half way across and had to be pulled out by a tow truck. The repairs were over £2000 - and that was in the early nineties - imagine the cost of repairs to a Yeti today!

The problem, as we all now know, is the air intake will ingest water if it's too low....and in my case the air intake was down by the front wheel arch, so it didn't need a lot of water to do the deed.

I'd have thought there were better equipped 4x4's to undertake seriously arduous terrain........but then I'm very fond of my Yeti and couldn't face treating it badly.. :) Obviously you'd considered doing the trip in something obvious like a LR or a heavy duty Toyota/Nissan 4x4, and fancied taking the Yeti instead. It just seems like a big ask in such difficult conditions whereas the other, more conventional, stuff used for these treks are likely to offer a better spares availability and resiliance to such rough stuff and things like the snorkel can readily be fitted, whereas I can't easily imagine getting a snorkel in your local dealer's spares department. :no:

Edited by oldstan

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The best option I feel is to for Yokohama Geolandars (either G051 or G012) in the stock size. Don't know whether I will be able to get them in time for the trip - keeping my fingers crossed on this.

I checked up on the water wading depth for the Yeti and in the manual, it is mentioned as "Water must not exceed the height of the lower sill", which I measured, stands at roughly 280mm.. Worst case, I have read that it can go thru water at 400mm height, but at dead slow speed to prevent to the wave front from exceeding the Air inlet height. Snorkels for the Yeti are unfortunately not available in India and I would not want to risk a third party job on the yeti and void my warranty.

RC_46 : Any feedback from your friend on the new tyres..?

London_Les: Good to know that you have gone on this route.. how was your experience and do you feel that the Yeti would be able to make it on this trip (with AT tyres - steels wheel I am not sure yet on the availability)

Thanks!

I checked up on the water wading depth for the Yeti and in the manual, it is mentioned as "Water must not exceed the height of the lower sill", which I measured, stands at roughly 280mm.. Worst case, I have read that it can go thru water at 400mm height, but at dead slow speed to prevent to the wave front from exceeding the Air inlet height.

280mm (11") doesn't sound too impressive. Round here in the Lake District and the A595 coastal road I frequently have to drive through at least 12" of flood water or turn around and go home because there are no alternate roads. I'm currently driving a C4 Picasso Exclusive and although I'm desperately trying to sell it (cos I have gone off it), I must admit it goes through deep water quite well. However, being an auto (with paddles) the only thing I miss is being able to go through the water slowly on high(ish) revs while riding the clutch.

PS No replying with jokes about paddles and water - I'm way ahead of you there! :yes:

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The best option I feel is to for Yokohama Geolandars (either G051 or G012) in the stock size. Don't know whether I will be able to get them in time for the trip - keeping my fingers crossed on this.

I checked up on the water wading depth for the Yeti and in the manual, it is mentioned as "Water must not exceed the height of the lower sill", which I measured, stands at roughly 280mm.. Worst case, I have read that it can go thru water at 400mm height, but at dead slow speed to prevent to the wave front from exceeding the Air inlet height. Snorkels for the Yeti are unfortunately not available in India and I would not want to risk a third party job on the yeti and void my warranty.

RC_46 : Any feedback from your friend on the new tyres..?

London_Les: Good to know that you have gone on this route.. how was your experience and do you feel that the Yeti would be able to make it on this trip (with AT tyres - steels wheel I am not sure yet on the availability)

Thanks!

hi,

i checked w my friend, the exact type is MICHELIN Latitude Cross 215/65R16 98h. he told me there is almost no trade off in road noise, road holding and the fuel consumption is actualy the same if not a bit lower copmared to the oem good years 215/60 r 16. he uses the car for business and his customers are in timber industry (muddy tracks, some smaller rocky trails, steep in/declines - but no stream fording) and his previous car was a sub forester.

generally he is happy with his yeti, also has rough roads pack - the older version and he made a couple of changes/improvements to it

btw, Geolandars H/T-S G051 are too noisy on asphalt according to him. he can't compare other types as he has no experience beyond G051.

peter.

Thanks RC_46, it is good to know that your friend has had a good experience with these tyres. This size is commonly available here in India.. only risk is that since it is a non-standard size, Skoda India may invalidate the warranty due to use of non-approved tyres.. hence will try to stick with 215/60 R 16s.

Thanks Plumber: Your thread "Tyre and rim guide" is very detailed and informative and that was my first information source. I am trying to explore the option of 215/65 R 16 tyres, as these are more easily available in India. 215/60 R16 is a very difficult size to get in AT tyres here in India. I will try to get in touch with Skoda India, to find out their "official" stand on such a tyre upsize.

Sandy: The water wading depth of the Yeti certainly seems low , even here in India, there are frequent problems of waterlogging in the rains and the water depth often reaches 300-350 mm. I am keeping my fingers crossed! My guess is that it should be safe till 400 mm, if driven with care and not allowing the wave break to go into the air inlet. I was just doing a comparison with other SUVs, and some even have a water wading depth of 800 mm! (Ford ranger/ everest).

I am quite a happy Snow monster owner and I would not really put my beast in unsurmountable risk..! But I need help from everyone in know where to stop!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

hello sameer I too have same requirements for the same car and also for the same purpose... i am sure you must have found some solution to your problem by now.... do share your experience of searching stock size suv tyres for yeti....