Felicia water leaking on clutch pedal

Hi

My wifes skoda felicia W registration leaks water badly into the drivers footwell when it rains I have done all the usual inspections for missing grommets etc and can find nothing wrong there. I have established that the water ingress is from high up under the dashboard, as the soundproofing material is all soaked. I have noticed that under the bonnet the soundproofing around there on the back ledge soaks the water up like a sponge and I wonder if the leak is through the heater box. I have heard mention of pollen filters but I have no idea where this is located. The passengers footwell remains dry. To cap it all the car was bumped and the drivers door dented in at the bottom, I managed to push this out from inside, however the door leaks through the top now also, at a guess I would assume that the door is now warped. Another nag is that the passengers central locker works intermittently.

Cheers

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with a T reg skoda felicia, except it is my passenger side footwell that collects water when it rains. I have contacted my local skoda dealer and written to skoda U.K and neither want to know. Has anyone else got experience of this? I am aware that leaks are notoriously difficult to trace, but maybe the cause is common to many of us?

HELP!!

Pam

Edited by DGW
Quote of original post deleted.

I had this on an 2000 (X) Fabia. It took the dealer 2 minutes tio fix, and most of that was the time it took to walk out to the car!

Examine the bulkhead at the back of the engine bay for any small holes and try to poke your fingers in carefully to dislodge any blockage. I think it was a bunged up pollen filter on mine which forced the water to go the wrong way.

I had an 'E' reg polo which used to leak through the bulkhead when it rained heavily. All the grommets were intact and I couldn't find anything obvious either.

In the end I tracked it down to where the radio aerial came through the bulkhead. I sealed it using some mastic stuff and the problem was cured. :thumbup:

Might be worth looking for this as the cable comes in quite high up and runs through or past the foam stuff behind the dashboard.

Its quite common, most likely to be the screen, suggest you go to a windscreen co and get them to seal by removing applying sealant and refitting - had it done on my Felicia, problem sorted quickly and it dosn't cost the earth.

The screen is fitted from new without sealant. A new rubber may cure - but I advise the screen is removed and sealed as mentioned above.

John

• 1 month later...

I've had a look at my Felicia 1.6GLxi and can't see anywhere obvious around the scuttle area where water could collect and get into the car. I agree with John above that the windscreen seal is a likely culprit given that the water is getting in high above the dashboard. I had this same problem years ago with a Passat.

PS: The Felicia doesn't have a pollen filter. The Fabia has one under the passenger dash.

I have had the same problem with a T reg skoda felicia' date=' except it is my passenger side footwell that collects water when it rains. I have contacted my local skoda dealer and written to skoda U.K and neither want to know. Has anyone else got experience of this? I am aware that leaks are notoriously difficult to trace, but maybe the cause is common to many of us?

HELP!!

Pam[/quote']

Hi Pam

I am replying to this reply as I have only just been made aware of it(havent been checking the site) Have you had any luck with water leak. I dont think it is coming through the windscreen. I too tried Skoda Uk who told me to check the pollen filter( I believe there isnt one fitted to the Felicia, shows how much use they are) They told me to contact the dealer I bought the car from, they wanted to keep the car for a week and strip the dash apart. I am not going to foot the bill that this would create(sounds like they are trying to do a rip off here). I have all along had a suspicion that the water is coming in through the vent in the bonnet that goes to the heater box. If I find anything out I will mail to you

thanks

Dave

I have all along had a suspicion that the water is coming in through the vent in the bonnet that goes to the heater box.
Any water which gets into the cooling air intake housing - the big black box with intake vent at the rear of the engine bay - will exit through a pair of holes underneath that housing at the lowest point. The holes are covered by simple flaps of rubber (correctly called a pawl) which deflect open under the weight of any water in the box. You can check them as I have just done on my car by pouring some water into the air intake housing. Pour it into the front of the box , ie engine side, rather than the back since the former is under the bonnet intake. You should see it come straight out of the centre bottom of the housing. Have a look underneath the box using a mirror and torch and you will see what a simple system it is for draining water away.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure but hoping this will help those with the notorious water leak! After having had 2 yrs of soaked sound deadening material I fixed the problem last summer.

Having read about the heater unit being the possible cause I removed the bung/flap and cleaned out the material that had accumulated around it - this seemed to have no affect.

The dashboard was removed and all the insulation and sound deadening material removed (1st to dry, 2nd to expose all of the interior metalwork). With a friend showering the windscreen with water I noticed two leaks coming through under the windscreen. At each lower corner (If I can recall) there is a lap joint seam where Skoda weld the body together), water was coming through and running down this seam, then collecting on the lower metal protusion that acts to create a pool of water. Answer was to get marine sealant and run a bead alone the lower edge of the windscreen then literally plaster that seam and build up any areas where water could future pool.

After a wet winter the car has been bone dry! :thumbup: Result but granted quite a lot of work stripping out the dash.

Gareth

• 1 year later...
:)
hi,ive had the windscreen sealed by rac ,cost 25 quid.damm thing still leaks when it rains,w reg felicia estate,i will never buy another skoda ,just one big wet puddle when it rains
i had a leak on my felicia , i took mine to a windsceen company the result was it was worse than before i took it , so it was obviously the windscreen , so i used halfords windscreen sealant the size that fits a standard d i y sealant gun , i scraped out what they had put in , then did the job again without skimping put plenty in making sure bottom corners were well sealed seal both glass and body side of rubber , result up to now no further problem .:)

• 1 year later...

I have just joined as I put in a Google Search 'Skoda leaks water into Drivers Footwell' and immediately came up with this website. The only thing I can add is that my S Reg FELICIA never leaked once in over 2 years THEN - SUDDENLY - guess what - I think something suddenly became blocked - I think windscreens develop leaks over a period of time - this fault with mine suddenly happened - after a heavy day of rain the next time I got in I had 3" of water and 2 very soaked feet. Never thought there was a plague of leaky Skodas, thought mine was a one off!

Out of the three Felicia's I have owned only the one (current) has leaked. Its simple enough to seal the windscreen. Also water can come through the sunroof.

I am not sure how long people expect seals to last, though rubber and seals that are between 6 - 13 years old are bound to go. I have had a number of sunroof seals go, and it isn't too much hassle to replace them.

Most of the cars that I know of (other than Skoda's) with sunroof's have leaked as well!

it is the windscreen rubber - the apature the glass sits in is too shallow & the drain holes are too small - use a w/screen guy to take the screen out and drill another set of drain holes as well as enlarging the existing ones. ours was done in 2004- been fine since

• 8 months later...

RE the above - Our felicia still is bone dry round the windscreen and footwells at the front but now continually steams up on the tailgate window - the boot is bone dry as well - is the plastic spoiler ontop of the tailgate sealed in place or just popped in via grommets allowing H2o inside the boot itself to collect? any suggestions would be appreciated

I have had the same problem with a T reg skoda felicia, except it is my passenger side footwell that collects water when it rains. I have contacted my local skoda dealer and written to skoda U.K and neither want to know. Has anyone else got experience of this? I am aware that leaks are notoriously difficult to trace, but maybe the cause is common to many of us?

HELP!!

Pam

I must have been one of the lucky ones, my Felly was brilliant.

Skoda UK won't have a clue as they prob won't know common issues about Felicias if they know what one is :P !!!! neither will a dealer. You need to hunt down the proper Skoda people like us enthusiasts online :D

If you're not too far from Bolton take a trip opr call Parkside Skoda. These guys have been sellling and working on Skodas for at least 2 decades and they really know their stuff.

When they couldn't sell me a paint/scratch touch up kit for my Favorit they suggested a place to go to.

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks init cold & rarther damp in my 97 1.6 felicia. anyway had car 4 months neva noticed damp till few wks back but weatha haznt bin that bad till then.it was soaked.so scorcd this site,had a read & cencous of opinon,windscreen seals but cud b other areas.gr8!.so thought id try experiment & seal frame didnt wana do perminant cuz it may not b seals,had a think & used lard, yes thats rht49p lard,didnt have grease,didnt want it 2 wash awayPART1

yesterday liftd bonnet verticl dry horizontal proofin wet few drops of water on top then drip drip drip drip theres a man made hole 5/8mm underneath metal cill below window top leftish. nice.so pluged it 4now corner plaky bag n card and thers 1 ova battery 2 but battery protects.might b why its that side only cuz window wud do the lot wudnt it?..still testing.later

• 2 weeks later...