Yeti boot floor conversion

ejstubbs

What tool do you need to remove the polystyrene boxes which fit around the spare wheel, if you're fitting the normal boot floor? It looks like a TORX head but it's bigger than the T30 which is the biggest I have. I found a set of security bits in Maplins which includes a T35 and a T40, but at £12 it seems a touch pricey if all I need is a single bit. Then again, if I ever need security bits for anything else (and I've resorted to making my own from existing bits in the past) then it might be worth the cash...

Edited by ejstubbs

I did look on eBay, and I noticed many of the sets there seem to be missing the T35 bit for some reason. I think that's the one I need but I'm not certain.

Does anyone know what size bit is required for the boot floor?

Hi,

the large (40mm headed) plastic support takes a size 45 (TORX) splined socket and the metal one that screws into it takes a size 25

If all else fails you're welcome to borrow mine.

T

What tool do you need to remove the polystyrene boxes which fit around the spare wheel, if you're fitting the normal boot floor? It looks like a TORX head but it's bigger than the T30 which is the biggest I have. I found a set of security bits in Maplins which includes a T35 and a T40, but at £12 it seems a touch pricey if all I need is a single bit. Then again, if I ever need security bits for anything else (and I've resorted to making my own from existing bits in the past) then it might be worth the cash...

Hi,

the large (40mm headed) plastic support takes a size 45 (TORX) splined socket and the metal one that screws into it takes a size 25

If all else fails you're welcome to borrow mine.

T

Haven't you got a flat blade screwdriver which will fit the diagonal slot/socket shouldn't damage the head if the blade is a reasonable fit!

Arggh, bodgers! :o Away with you!! If there's one thing I abhor* it's nuts, bolts and screws that have been mashed and mangled by someone who used the wrong tool. Call me picky** but in all but extreme circumstances I insist on using The Proper Tool.

I also refuse to re-use wood screws: experience has taught me that it's just not worth the pain that is almost bound to arise.

* Actually there's lots of thing I abhor, but this is definitely one of them.

** In fact you can call me anything you like, really, since I'm here and you're...well, not within reach of an easy retaliatory blow, anyway!

** In fact you can call me anything you like, really, since I'm here and you're...well, not within reach of an easy retaliatory blow, anyway!

I always say that before you insult someone for their views you should "Walk a Mile in Their Shoes".

1. They are a mile away

2. And barefoot.

Arggh, bodgers! :o Away with you!! If there's one thing I abhor* it's nuts, bolts and screws that have been mashed and mangled by someone who used the wrong tool. Call me picky** but in all but extreme circumstances I insist on using The Proper Tool.

I also refuse to re-use wood screws: experience has taught me that it's just not worth the pain that is almost bound to arise.

Good for the Chinese/Indian economies then!

I agree,but its hardly a bodge, the cap is screwed into a small self tapping screw protuding from the boot floor, so hardly any effort should be required to turn the cap. You could probably turn it by hand, and as said above,if you hav'nt got the correct tool an allen key of the correct size engages with the splines, just fine. :thumbup:

I always salvage used bolts screws etc when items are scrapped, if they are easy to remove. They often come in handy and save a fortune. With an electric drill they are quick and easy to remove, usually without damage, particularly the cross head types.

When I had my extension done I walked around each night picking up all the screws etc dropped on the floor , made quite a pile by the end of the job. Sinks came in wood boxes, the screws were all salvaged, even the wood packing got re-used.

I generally only buy new for a specific project where neatness and uniformity are needed.

I used to sail boats years ago and you never threw out the stainless or brass screws from these, they are so expensive to buy new. Still occasionally re-use stainless screws from my salvage even now 15 years on.

• 1 month later...

Check out my project in the projects section, as I have now fitted my non spare wheel floor & FULL size winter wheel in the boot.

6406098753_c013960e0a_b.jpg

IMG_0512 by MikesYeti, on Flickr

Hi Mike, I take it that you can't fit the parcel shelf back in when your spare is there.

I really like what you've done there but we would still like to have the parcel shelf in place.

I know that some people on here have used a proper skinny spacesaver wheel but for the life of me I can't find the bloody thread again.

Dominic.

Hi Mike, I take it that you can't fit the parcel shelf back in when your spare is there.

I really like what you've done there but we would still like to have the parcel shelf in place.

I know that some people on here have used a proper skinny spacesaver wheel but for the life of me I can't find the bloody thread again.

Dominic.

Hi Dominic

No, the parcel shelf foes not fit, with either space saver like I used last year or the full size tyre I'm using this year. I have looked for a second hand one but they are a little on the scarce side at the moment. I would cut a slot in it so that the tyre poked through.

Not checked to see how much they are new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dominic

No, the parcel shelf foes not fit, with either space saver like I used last year or the full size tyre I'm using this year. I have looked for a second hand one but they are a little on the scarce side at the moment. I would cut a slot in it so that the tyre poked through.

Not checked to see how much they are new.

Mike why don't you contact that breaker's yard that has the mushroom leather seat set for sale? That come from a written off Yeti and they might still have the parcel shelf...

Mike why don't you contact that breaker's yard that has the mushroom leather seat set for sale? That come from a written off Yeti and they might still have the parcel shelf...

Great minds think alike. Hehehe

I did that about a month ago :lol:

Great minds think alike. Hehehe

I did that about a month ago :lol:

Ah. So that means someone had already got there before you or the firebrigade cut a hole through that as well. Well keep pestering places like that I say. Though even if you get another parcel shelf the right hand hinge connection for said parcel shelf is now obscured by the spare wheel. So even with cutting a hole into it I'm not sure how it will exactly hinge? Or will you just rest it on the wheel? That could work - it will still open like normal as long as it is attached to the hatchback lanyards. If you take the wheel out (or sell the car) then you put the other pacel shelf back.