DPF Regen Info (Based on 2.0 CR Engine)

Hi

Recently i have been investigating some issues i have been having with my engine and found this info about DPF Regeneration which i thought may be of info to some of the users on here.

Enjoy....

Dallan

Firstly if needed there is a warm up phase:

Warm-Up Phase

To heat up a cold oxidation catalyst and particulate filter as quickly as possible and thus bring them to

operating temperature, the engine management system introduces a post-injection after the main

injection.

Basically then there are 5 Levels of Regeneration

Passive Regeneration

Active Regeneration

Customer-Initiated Regeneration Drive

Service Generation

and Distance Regeneration

The first 4 are based on the measured load on the actual DPF and the final one is NOT

Distance Regeneration

“Distance regeneration” is a distance-dependent regeneration of the particulate filter. The Engine

Control Module (ECM) J623 initiates an active regeneration automatically if during the last 466 to

621 miles (750 to 1000 km) of travel no successful regeneration has taken place, regardless of the load condition in the diesel particulate filter.

Distance regeneration serves as additional safeguard to minimize the load condition of the diesel

particulate filter.

DPF%2520REGEN.jpg

Update with info on each type:

Passive Regeneration

During passive regeneration the soot particles are continuously burned without the intervention of

Engine Control Module (ECM) J623. This occurs primarily at higher engine load, such as

in highway driving, when exhaust gas temperatures range from 662°F to 932°F (350°C to 500°C).

At these temperatures the soot particles are converted into carbon dioxide through a combustion

reaction with nitrogen dioxide.

Active Regeneration:

In a large portion of the operating range the exhaust gas temperatures are too low for a passive

regeneration. Because soot particles can no longer be eliminated passively, soot accumulates in the

filter. As soon as a specific soot load has been reached in the filter, the Engine Control Module

(ECM) J623 initiates an active regeneration. The soot particles are burned off at an exhaust gas

temperature of 1022°F to 1202°F (550°C to 650°C).

Active Regeneration Function

The soot load of the particulate fi lter is calculated by two pre-programmed load models in the Engine

Control Module (ECM) J623. One of the load models is determined from the driving profile of the user and the signals from the exhaust gas temperature sensors and Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) G39.

Another soot load model is the flow resistance of the particulate filter. It is calculated from the signals

of Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 G450, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 3 G495, and Mass Air

Flow (MAF) Sensor G70.

Customer-Initiated Regeneration Drive:

An exhaust gas temperature high enough for particulate filter regeneration is not reached when

the vehicle is only driven for short-distances. If the load condition of the diesel particulate filter reaches a

threshold value, Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp K231 in the instrument panel will light up.

This signal prompts the driver to perform a regeneration drive. The vehicle must be driven for a

short period of time at increased speed to ensure that an adequately high exhaust gas temperature

is reached. The operating conditions must remain constant over the period for a successful

regeneration.

Details of the driving behavior required when the Diesel Particle Filter Indicator

Lamp K231 comes on can be found in the Owner’s Manual

Service Regeneration:

If the regeneration drive is not successfully completed and the load condition of the diesel

particulate fi lter has reached 1.41 ounces (40 grams), Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp K231 and Glow

Plug Indicator Lamp K29 will light up simultaneously. The text “Check Engine – Workshop” will appear

in the instrument panel display.

This prompts the driver to visit the nearest service shop. In this case, the Engine Control Module

(ECM) J623 blocks active regeneration of the diesel particulate filter to prevent damage to the filter and

the particulate filter can only be regenerated by a service regeneration with the VAS 5051.

When the load condition reaches 1.59 ounces (45 grams), service regeneration

is no longer possible. Because the danger of destroying the filter is too

great with this load, the filter must be replaced.

Edited by Dallan
  • Like 2

Hi

Recently i have been investigating some issues i have been having with my engine and found this info about DPF Regeneration which i thought may be of info to some of the users on here.

ENJOY....???...

Dallan

Warm-Up Phase

To heat up a cold oxidation catalyst and particulate filter as quickly as possible and thus bring them to

operating temperature, the engine management system introduces a post-injection after the main

injection.

Passive Regeneration

Active Regeneration

Service Generation

The first 4 are based on the measured load on the actual DPF and the final one is NOT

Distance Regeneration

“Distance regeneration” is a distance-dependent regeneration of the particulate filter. The Engine

Control Module (ECM) J623 initiates an active regeneration automatically if during the last 466 to

621 miles (750 to 1000 km) of travel no successful regeneration has taken place, regardless of the load condition in the diesel particulate filter.

Distance regeneration serves as additional safeguard to minimize the load condition of the diesel

particulate filter.

DPF%2520REGEN.jpg

enjoy ???......i wish i could 'enjoy' the dpf on my pd vRS..... :wall:

Tip top tastic Dallan cheers for the info as Mr Silver said above it would be good if you have any more on the others?

Hi Dallan

Very good information, thanks; best ask, would you object if the link was put on a couple of caravan forums?

Chris

If anyone wants the full pdf, PM me your email it has loads of info in it 90 odd pages

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

Enjoy....

Dallan

Warm-Up Phase

injection.

Passive Regeneration

Active Regeneration

Service Generation

Distance Regeneration

particulate filter.

DPF%2520REGEN.jpg

Passive Regeneration

During passive regeneration the soot particles are continuously burned without the intervention of

Engine Control Module (ECM) J623. This occurs primarily at higher engine load, such as

in highway driving, when exhaust gas temperatures range from 662°F to 932°F (350°C to 500°C).

At these temperatures the soot particles are converted into carbon dioxide through a combustion

Active Regeneration:

In a large portion of the operating range the exhaust gas temperatures are too low for a passive

regeneration. Because soot particles can no longer be eliminated passively, soot accumulates in the

filter. As soon as a specific soot load has been reached in the filter, the Engine Control Module

(ECM) J623 initiates an active regeneration. The soot particles are burned off at an exhaust gas

The soot load of the particulate fi lter is calculated by two pre-programmed load models in the Engine

Control Module (ECM) J623. One of the load models is determined from the driving profile of the user and the signals from the exhaust gas temperature sensors and Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) G39.

Another soot load model is the flow resistance of the particulate filter. It is calculated from the signals

of Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 G450, Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 3 G495, and Mass Air

Flow (MAF) Sensor G70.

An exhaust gas temperature high enough for particulate filter regeneration is not reached when

the vehicle is only driven for short-distances. If the load condition of the diesel particulate filter reaches a

threshold value, Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp K231 in the instrument panel will light up.

This signal prompts the driver to perform a regeneration drive. The vehicle must be driven for a

short period of time at increased speed to ensure that an adequately high exhaust gas temperature

is reached. The operating conditions must remain constant over the period for a successful

regeneration.

Details of the driving behavior required when the Diesel Particle Filter Indicator

Service Regeneration:

If the regeneration drive is not successfully completed and the load condition of the diesel

particulate fi lter has reached 1.41 ounces (40 grams), Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp K231 and Glow

Plug Indicator Lamp K29 will light up simultaneously. The text “Check Engine – Workshop” will appear

This prompts the driver to visit the nearest service shop. In this case, the Engine Control Module

(ECM) J623 blocks active regeneration of the diesel particulate filter to prevent damage to the filter and

the particulate filter can only be regenerated by a service regeneration with the VAS 5051.

Technician @ Liverpool Skoda has told me and I quote

" Regeneration will only take place if there is more than 11 litres of fuel in the tank "

I will investigate this further and report back in a short while. :think:

• 9 years later...
On 01/07/2012 at 05:51, Dallan said:

Hi

Enjoy....

Dallan

Warm-Up Phase

injection.

Passive Regeneration

Active Regeneration

Service Generation

Distance Regeneration

particulate filter.

DPF%2520REGEN.jpg

Passive Regeneration

Active Regeneration:

Flow (MAF) Sensor G70.

regeneration.

Service Regeneration:

Thanks for the info Dallan, much appreciated.