Battery upgrade

Ive posted this before in my other battery thread but i replaced this stock battery

BDA28A48-FC52-41E2-B5E9-6A1333DF3B2B-2956-000001B0561DA321.jpg

With this Varta 77ah (There is a equivalent Bosch just different labels they are the same battery) and it fitted perfectly

613B5EF9-CF1C-45B2-A651-555328E39071-2956-000001B0413DC9A8.jpg

The car has started much much better than ever over the winter and spins over much quicker

Just for future reference:

When replacing my car's battery last week (2 years old, out of warranty for a full month!), I left the engine running, and avoided the resets to all the computers....worked like a charm!

Uri

Just for future reference:

When replacing my car's battery last week (2 years old, out of warranty for a full month!), I left the engine running, and avoided the resets to all the computers....worked like a charm!

Uri

Do not leave the engine running when changing a battery!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am the one of the less fortunate Superb owners with 61AH battery, and it is not in plastic housing, it is in some sort of cloth/cardboard box. Mine problem is that after two years I am having difficulties starting car, and I want to replace and upgrade battery. I need to upgrade battery housing to largest possible version, and the easier part is to find best battery that can fit in.

I have been to my dealer, and all he could offer me is to replace parts. When he enters my VIN number he gets list of the parts for my model (2011 140HP 4x4/DSG), but I need different parts. When he just list all parts he gets at least three sets of different plastic housing parts (each consists of three parts), so he is unsure which parts are for one sets. I believe he is not very experienced, and he showed me how that lists looks like in their software, with drawing on left side, and huge lists on right.

Can someone help me to determine what are part numbers for biggest plastic housing for battery that will fit in Superb? If I can provide him with correct set of part numbers I would be able to order them.

I am the one of the less fortunate Superb owners with 61AH battery, and it is not in plastic housing, it is in some sort of cloth/cardboard box. Mine problem is that after two years I am having difficulties starting car, and I want to replace and upgrade battery. I need to upgrade battery housing to largest possible version, and the easier part is to find best battery that can fit in.

I have been to my dealer, and all he could offer me is to replace parts. When he enters my VIN number he gets list of the parts for my model (2011 140HP 4x4/DSG), but I need different parts. When he just list all parts he gets at least three sets of different plastic housing parts (each consists of three parts), so he is unsure which parts are for one sets. I believe he is not very experienced, and he showed me how that lists looks like in their software, with drawing on left side, and huge lists on right.

Can someone help me to determine what are part numbers for biggest plastic housing for battery that will fit in Superb? If I can provide him with correct set of part numbers I would be able to order them.

I didn't know there was a "plastic" cover and it's not necessary anyway. But if you just want a larger battery and a new cover to fit it, the answers are in my previous posts. I recommend the 77Ah Bosch S5 096 size (same width and height as the 61Ah, but longer), and the new cover from Skoda (Part number quoted previously).

Excepting the parts department, I have rarely had satisfaction with advice from the main dealer. They told me my 61Ah battery was adequate when I specifically asked them to upgrade it and was quite prepared to pay their price which would have been about twice what it cost me to do it myself. It is not a difficult job and the new cover is easily fitted during the battery replacement, not being fixed in place except by the battery cables.

Out of interest, why do you want/need to replace the factory cloth trim with the plastic housing?

I need bigger battery, and this cloth trim is made for 61Ah battery 242x175x175. First next size of bigger batteries are 290x175x175 (74Ah) and 290x175x190 (77Ah). So clearly new batteries wont fit in current cloth housing.

Other Superb owners who have bigger battery as standard, have plastic housing. I don't mind having any bigger housing as I don't think it is much important. But as I am within warranty I just want to play by the book and avoid troubles.

I didn't know there was a "plastic" cover and it's not necessary anyway. But if you just want a larger battery and a new cover to fit it, the answers are in my previous posts. I recommend the 77Ah Bosch S5 096 size (same width and height as the 61Ah, but longer), and the new cover from Skoda (Part number quoted previously).

Excepting the parts department, I have rarely had satisfaction with advice from the main dealer. They told me my 61Ah battery was adequate when I specifically asked them to upgrade it and was quite prepared to pay their price which would have been about twice what it cost me to do it myself. It is not a difficult job and the new cover is easily fitted during the battery replacement, not being fixed in place except by the battery cables.

I have your part number for cover, but there are two more parts for side protection that are intended to be used with cover. When I remove cloth trim, I would need those two side parts as well so I could mount cover on top of it. I had that part number with me (3C0 915 443 A), and dealer found it in their software, but they were clueless what other two side parts are match for that cover. They told me that they don't know how to associate cover part with side parts without correct VIN number.

They were trying to convince me as well that I just need same type of battery, but I believe the car is under powered. 61Ah for 140ps 4x4/DSG with almost all gadgets is really not enough. Now after 2 years it shows first signs of wear which shouldn't happen.

I need bigger battery, and this cloth trim is made for 61Ah battery 242x175x175. First next size of bigger batteries are 290x175x175 (74Ah) and 290x175x190 (77Ah). So clearly new batteries wont fit in current cloth housing.

Other Superb owners who have bigger battery as standard, have plastic housing. I don't mind having any bigger housing as I don't think it is much important. But as I am within warranty I just want to play by the book and avoid troubles.

I have the 096 battery (290x175x175) in mine, and that has the cheap fabric cover. I did think about replacing it with the 3-piece plastic housing (as I had in my B6 passat), and found a breaker that would sell all 3 to me for £20 + delivery, but then I thought that it didn't bother me that much to want to spend £25 on what probably amounts to a wendy house for the car battery that only mildly bothers me when I open the bonnet.

Rocktheroad - the new cover part number is 1K0 915 411B and fits a 096 spec battery which is 278 long, 175 wide, and 190 high.

The new cover is the same as yours except it fits the 096 battery (from your description of your existing cover). It does not require any other parts and is quite adequate for the job. I'll post a photo if you like. Strangely my 61Ah battery is 190 high x 175 x 242.

I agree with your thoughts about playing by the book and that's why I bought the new cover

JakeBlade - As far as I know there is only the above dimensions for the 096 battery.

JakeBlade - Sorry, the 096 does come with both heights 175 and 190. I found a wonderful table of specs here:- http://www.lincon.co...ifications.html

No no, it is I who should be apologising. I did buy a 096, but that was for my passat B6 and from ECP it was the Bosch S5 and 278x175x190. What I meant to say was that I have the original 100 in the Superb, which is 278x175x175.

My fabric cover actually sits between the battery terminal leads that flank the battery, and the battery itself. The 3-piece plastic housing will sit around the battery and the battery terminal leads, so that the whole lot is enclosed. My passat b6 had the plastic housing, which fitted around the 096 278x175x190 battery.

I've still got the 096 battery from my Passat (pity economics made me part with it). I did the upgrade from that to an enormous thing around 90 Ah, but it was a shoehorn job! On my Passat (MY04, 130PD) the battery was in the centre of the car between two bulkheads at the back of the engine. Must say that battery specification numbers can be very confusing looking at the table - the 100 and the smaller 096 share dimensions.

Sounds like your battery cover is the same design as mine. Anyway, I hope we are managing to help "rocktheroad".

Rocktheroad - the new cover part number is 1K0 915 411B and fits a 096 spec battery which is 278 long, 175 wide, and 190 high.

The new cover is the same as yours except it fits the 096 battery (from your description of your existing cover). It does not require any other parts and is quite adequate for the job. I'll post a photo if you like. Strangely my 61Ah battery is 190 high x 175 x 242.

I agree with your thoughts about playing by the book and that's why I bought the new cover

JakeBlade - As far as I know there is only the above dimensions for the 096 battery.

Just to be sure that we are not talking about the two different things, here is photo what I have:

img1083h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This clothing trim is exactly like smallest battery that I have: 242x175x175. So I don't see how I can just fit plastic cover without having two other plastic parts to support it.

I don't see how I can just fit plastic cover without having two other plastic parts to support it.

That part number is for a bigger cloth jacket same style as you have on at the moment, so is a single part.

For the plastic parts you would need numbers 3, 4 and 5 as shown here: http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=5209920&ukey_assembly=737065

... but that is assuming that you also have number 2 (the base plate) already fitted for it all to clamp into.

These are the part numbers, which are common across a lot of VAG cars for the plastic battery cover:

Side 1 = 1K0915336B

Side 2 = 1K0915335B

Top = 1K0915443C

• 3 weeks later...

Ive posted this before in my other battery thread but i replaced this stock battery

BDA28A48-FC52-41E2-B5E9-6A1333DF3B2B-2956-000001B0561DA321.jpg

With this Varta 77ah (There is a equivalent Bosch just different labels they are the same battery) and it fitted perfectly

613B5EF9-CF1C-45B2-A651-555328E39071-2956-000001B0413DC9A8.jpg

The car has started much much better than ever over the winter and spins over much quicker

Thanks for this post Richf, My car let me down last week with a flat battery again (for the last time!), these photos helped me a lot and I just wanted a straight swap, also invested in a CTEK charger to keep it "topped up".

The standard battery is not up to the job if you have all the toys and this battery is supposed to give 45% better starting than a standard battery! also the 5 year guarantee should give me peace of mind :thumbup:

Does spin over a little better doesnt it:)

I have a Ctek 3600 for my weekend toy but since fitting this bigger battery we have had no issues and it hasnt needed charging at all