Premium vs Handsfree Bluetooth

I've had a 2012 plate Skoda Superb Elegance Greenline with all the bells and whistles for about 6 months now. In all that time, I've had an iPhone 4 and have been able to play music and make phonecalls via bluetooth quite happily. The track name even appears on the Skoda display which is nice.

Now I have upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S3. My bluetooth connection seems to be working (I can connect) but I seem to have the option of either a premium connection or a handsfree connection. It seemed to default to premium. In doing this, my S3 seems to drop of 3G and I can no longer play tracks (I use Spotify). When I switch to Handsfree, it seems to play fine, though I no longer see the track that is playing on the Skoda display.

What is Premium? Why when I am on Premium does my S3 seem to drop off the 3G network?

How do I get the track to display when I am connected via handsfree?

I will do a bit more digging around I think...honestly...modern technology...!

Premium uses RSAP, Remote Sim Access Profile, basically the car becomes the phone by using the information from the SIM card. So the phone is no longer connected. You will get a much better phone signal this way as it uses the car's airiel rather than the phone's. You should still be able to play local music from the phone, but may need to authorise that on the phone.

Not sure about the track names, but I think that is down to the S3 if your old phone did it.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 superb estate and both my wife & I have Samsung handsets (S2 & Note2). When I connect a phone via the Bluetooth Premium service I have two totally unacceptable faults

1 - A text message that comes in whilst the phone is connected in premium mode never goes on to my handset

2 - The car takes control of my data connection and as a result the data on the phone is disabled which means

a - No email

b - No internet

c - No streaming media (Spotify etc)

I assume this problem would not occur in hands free mode but then I will lose a lot of the functionality (address book, SMS announcement, missed/received/dialled calls etc

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

Edited by wch

Charlie,

I'm another Note Two user, on T-Mobile. And you're right the data thing is a bore. However it is possible to set up a dial-up connection through the car in premium...and return internet and data to the phone. I use it for real time mapping on a safety camera app among other things.

Nowhere is clear how to do this. The bit in the Skoda manual (it's in the car book not the Columbus book) is pretty unclear. So I took the best of all options I read about in this forum and elsewhere, paid for and downloaded BlueVPN to set the connection: http://bluedunapp.blogspot.de/2012/06/bluevpn-connect-your-android-device-to.html. That's not to say it can't work straight off the phone's own software but I couldn't sort it out.

Once the phone is connected via bluetooth you'll also see a 'data' entry in the car's MFD data connection - I set it to 'internet' again on advice. This option is not visible when a phone isn't connected. I then put the settings for 'ee' (the company replacing T-Mobile) into the Blue VPN.

I needed to connect manually each time I got in (after the normal automatic premium bluetooth connection had worked) in Blue VPN, but it did work. Web connection to the phone. That was about a month ago.

Two weeks ago I came abroad to work and it stopped. 'ee' is a pretty new network and I reasoned might not be recognised abroad, so I looked at the phone itself (it's under data in settings) and found its own day-to-day APN settings are T-Mobile's own APN settings - starting with general.t-mobile.co.uk as the APN.

Still no joy, so I changed the MFD Data APN on the car from internet to to general.t-mobile.co.uk . Still no joy. It may be anyone of hundreds of issues but as I am roaming which may be all or part of the problem, have concluded (and a lack of time where I am working) it's a job for back in the UK next month. Phone is still working fine though as a bluetooth device, calls, sms, etc..

So, yes, I know it's possible, and when when it worked it was better than fine as the car set-up and aerial meant a super signal the whole time. But I cannot find a definitive guide anywhere for what setting goes on the car APN, and what on the phone (BlueVPN).

Help anyone?

I have a 2013 superb estate and both my wife & I have Samsung handsets (S2 & Note2). When I connect a phone via the Bluetooth Premium service I have two totally unacceptable faults

1 - A text message that comes in whilst the phone is connected in premium mode never goes on to my handset

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

Once you have read the message scroll down to options and select 'copy'. This will then send the message to the phones SIM card. On the the S2 (also my phone) you have the option of placing the message in the phone's memory rather than the SIM card if you want.

Has anybody else managed to get internet access once the phone is connected to the Superbs bluetooth system. I`ve tried it by following the instructions in the manual but they are very unclear and I had no luck.

Brockysuperb above has managed it using BlueVPN but I can`t do it because I don`t understand the terminolgy used. Can anybody explain in simple terms that an idiot like me can understand how to do it. I need it for the time being as I use my Cameralert app from PocketGPS for speed cameras.

Also bill2, above, states that the Maxidot will give you the option to read out text messages. I only get the option to read it in the display. The option to have the car read them out to me doesn`t appear. Does something need to be enabled

My phone is a Galaxy S3 LTE and otherwise connects fine using rSAP.

OK, back in the UK on Saturday. My phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) connected with BT, then BlueVPN to connect to get internet on the phone. All worked well - one drop out round the M25, but could have been anything. I can use Camera Alert and CoPilot has realtime updates - on the phone. Can also surf the web (yes, I was parked up...).

I suspect the issue overseas was a roaming one...and to solve another day.

The Data APN setting I use in Maxidot is 'everywhere' the APN name for EE (used to be T-Mobile). On Blue VPN/DUN the settings are the same as for EE - http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4g-network/APN-Settings-for-MMS-and-Internet/td-p/2018 . It only has template spaces for some of the settings (user/pass etc).

But how is to working, and is this anything but trail and error. Search me. It works, but I can find no got manual out there, and the Skoda instruction is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Can we have some advice from others who've done this successfully please...

Do you have to use both BlueVPN and Blue DUN or just BlueVPN. I`ve been trying for days and I`m getting nowhere. It doesn`t help that I don`t understand all the jargon.

I tried switching off sim access profile in my Galaxy S3 and just using handsfree but I can`t find the option. I don`t even get the option on the maxidot to choose handsfree, it automatically goes into premium which I`m guessing is rSAP

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. You wrote

If you are still using the EE APN settings whilst roaming, this explains why it wasn't working. You need APN settings for roaming network/s

Cheers

Steve

Can you explain a bit more please.After all this profile, the EE apn, is also in my phone and that works fine roaming (ie using the phone for data outside the car on European networks such as in Germany). I wasn't aware there was a different roaming apn setting.

OK, back in the UK on Saturday. My phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) connected with BT, then BlueVPN to connect to get internet on the phone. All worked well - one drop out round the M25, but could have been anything. I can use Camera Alert and CoPilot has realtime updates - on the phone. Can also surf the web (yes, I was parked up...).

Can you explain how you managed to get this working. I`ve tried everything but just not getting anywhere

Ashfan...look in my post above...not sure what to add but yes, you need both Blue VPN (first) then Blue DUN working. If I understood the science, rather than hit and miss I could help more...perhaps someone else has done this and actually understands what they did!!

Ok thanks. I think I`m getting somewhere but still no internet. I`m getting an icon now on the Maxidot with 2 arrows going in opposite directions. I had to disable the media player (I think bluetooth audio from the phone) but I`m not bothered about that.

I then get Blue VPN scanning for a modem continually with the signal bars alternating between blue and red but if i try to enable 3G on the phone it tells me to insert a sim card which it has but obviously the car has taken control of that. So I`m still stuck.

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. You wrote

Can you explain a bit more please.After all this profile, the EE apn, is also in my phone and that works fine roaming (ie using the phone for data outside the car on European networks such as in Germany). I wasn't aware there was a different roaming apn setting.

Just going by my Mifi. When roaming it doesn't work, but if I change APN settings to local network it does. Obviously same goes for when abroad and using a local network sim instead of home sim in roaming mode.

For anybody else wanting to get internet access using BlueVPN when the phone is connected to the car by rSAP I can confirm that BlueVPN does work.

For days now I have been trying to get it working without success but today after many emails to the software developer it is finally working.

You only need BlueVPN on the phone, BlueDUN isn`t needed at all. I entered the APN for EE into the car (this is "everywhere", without the quotes) and did the same in the BlueVPN settings. The phone connected to the car in the usual way using rSAP. I then ran BlueVPN on the phone, tapped the entry for the car which is Skoda_BT and hey presto after a few seconds I had internet on my phone. An extra icon appears on the maxidot, a small rectangle with 2 arrows going in opposite directions left to right, and now my PocketGPS Cameralert app works.

I didn`t really do anything different to my previous failed attempts but it now works.

• Like 1

Share your view Ashfan...well done. It works, is great, buy difficult to explain as like you 'I didn't really do anything different'.

Perhaps it's magic!!

An interesting observation though - the BT web link allows me to browse the web, use the safety camera ap I have, give real time updates to Co-Pilot. But it won't allow me to use the BBC app (says 'no internet connection') or Kindle. It takes me back to the days of Windows 3.1 and trying to install a new piece of hardware...a nightmare and then suddenly...it works (almost)!

One benefit - because it's using the car's aerial system I can get a decent 3G signal in places where the phone would normally be dropping back to GPRS.

• Like 1

Now that you mention the BBC, I think when I was trying to get it to work I would try and log into BBC Sport to test it, couldn`t, and was cursing BlueVPN and its maker. When all along it was probably working as it should.

You`re right about the 3G signal. The whole system just works as it should unlike my previous car.

• 6 months later...

Sort of glad I found this topic - my 2012 plate Superb worked absolutely fine with the old iPhone 4 - bluetoothy linked, call lists were on the Columbus display, and phonebook, but a very recent change to a Samsung S4 has thrown me into all sorts of fun!

Can one of you possible explain in absolute laymans terms how to get the Cameralert etc working on the phone while still linking to the car handsfree.

I've looked and can see a BlueVPN+ app for £2.44 - that refers to needing BlueDUN running - yet above ashfan says only vPN - The BlueVPN (DUN Client) app is free - but is it needed?

Sorry to be so dense, but an absolutely basic A-Z instruction would be invaluable!!

Fingers crossed!