Multiple error/warning lights - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor issue?

Hi all, long time since I've been on here as touch wood have been enjoying many issue free miles in my Octavia.

Last week whilst returning home from a local trip I suddenly got a warning light and a chime,

Error: ABS/stabilisation control (ESC)

several second later I got another,

Error: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

several seconds later, another...

Error: bend lighting (AFS)

when I slowed at the next junction I received a further warning

Error: Start/Stop system

I pulled onto my drive way and turned off, restarting the car all  errors disappeared the following day about 30 miles into my journey, they started to come up again one after another, a mile down the road they disappeared again, then nothing for a week. This week it's happened again about 4 times. 

A friend who works for Mercedes managed to hook up the ODBC and got the following listing displayed:

C101C14 - Left Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor - Open Circuit/Short Circuit To Ground - passive/abiogenesis

C101C14 - Left Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor - Open Circuit/Short Circuit To Ground - passive/abiogenesis 

C101D29 - Right Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor - Implausible Signal - passive/abiogenesis

C114602 - Tire Pressure Monitoring Display - Signal Error - passive/abiogenesis

History wise, The car was serviced with new timing belt and water pump by Skoda Main dealer back in Feb and I had two new front tyres fitted at start of April following a nail puncture to front left.

Has anyone seen this multiple error message scenario before? Is it likely to be as simple as replace ABS sensor on Left rear?

Thanks for your time and any advice/observations welcome.

Edited by JezHocking

3 hours ago, mbames said:

Wonder if you have an electrical short....?

I was wondering about the battery condition, I have found a few threads across VW family forums with multiple error warnings and they all seem to mention either ABS Sensor, ABS Module or Battery Issues.

We cleared the codes after we checked them last week and I have just ordered an OBDeleven kit from their website so will check again when it's delivered to see what codes are now being reported.

Sounds like it would be worth changing the left sensor.

Right sensor implausible signal is due to not matching up with the right, and the TPMS works off the abs sensors.

• Thanks 1

I'd have a check on your battery. When mine went funny, it brought up a load of errors similar to yours above.

Have a check with a multimeter if you've got one to hand and see what voltage you have with the engine on and off. 14.4v - 14.7v when it's idling and around 12.6v when you're engine is off.

Quite often when the voltage drops, sensors misread things and start flagging errors which don't exist.

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2019 at 14:45, tunedude said:

I'd have a check on your battery. When mine went funny, it brought up a load of errors similar to yours above.

Have a check with a multimeter if you've got one to hand and see what voltage you have with the engine on and off. 14.4v - 14.7v when it's idling and around 12.6v when you're engine is off.

Quite often when the voltage drops, sensors misread things and start flagging errors which don't exist.

Got a new multimeter and just been out and I have the following readings: 

Engine Off - 12.74v

Engine idling (all electrics off) - 13.07v

Engine idling (AC & Lights on Auto) - 13.40v

Battery marked as: Varta 7P0 915 105 12v 68ah 380a din 

1 hour ago, JezHocking said:

Got a new multimeter and just been out and I have the following readings: 

Engine Off - 12.74v

Engine idling (all electrics off) - 13.07v

Engine idling (AC & Lights on Auto) - 13.40v

Battery marked as: Varta 7P0 915 105 12v 68ah 380a din 

The voltage for the electrics off is too low. Your alternator is kicking in with a current being drawn but that's still too low.

More than likely it's the battery, but you can't rule out the alternator.

Does or has your car either struggled to start or has your stop start not come on?

Also, how many miles car you car done? I know it's only 6 years old, but if a lot has been asked of the battery, it may explain it.

Edited by tunedude
  • Thanks 1

That voltage level is normal with a healthy battery. Do some engine braking and the alternator will kick in boosting the voltage up to about 14.9 V (at least that's what I get on my car).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rodge said:

That voltage level is normal with a healthy battery. Do some engine braking and the alternator will kick in boosting the voltage up to about 14.9 V (at least that's what I get on my car).

Same for me.

Feels like these days people tend to overthink faults like these. It all points to the left sensor.

• Thanks 1

hi mate, did you have a bump or hit big pot hole? I had a similar experience happen 2 days after the wife hit the kerb hard, probably more extreme than yours as the car was pulling to one side too. Check the distance (gap) between the wheel and the arch on both sides and compare for any differences, if its off you've hit something and there will a difference. If so thats whats knocking your sensors off. You'll need the wheels aligned or the sub-frame has moved.

Might seem bizarre but i thought all the same things the guys above have said, the warnings throw you off on a wild goose chase.

Cheers

J

wheel.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gta15 said:

hi mate, did you have a bump or hit big pot hole? I had a similar experience happen 2 days after the wife hit the kerb hard, probably more extreme than yours as the car was pulling to one side too. Check the distance (gap) between the wheel and the arch on both sides and compare for any differences, if its off you've hit something and there will a difference. If so thats whats knocking your sensors off. You'll need the wheels aligned or the sub-frame has moved.

Might seem bizarre but i thought all the same things the guys above have said, the warnings throw you off on a wild goose chase.

Cheers

J

wheel.png

Gaps are all good, I haven't had a bump or hit a pothole and the wife isn't allowed near my car so we can rule that out lol, we do have speed bumps everywhere here which played havoc with my old Volvo V70 tracking and struts but I've learnt my lesson on those and now take them like a teenager in a pimped out saxo :-)

2 hours ago, tunedude said:

Apologies if I've lead you up the garden path. Just always had higher voltages from my car.

No worries, I haven'd had any problems starting the car or using the windows etc so don't think the battery is likely to be an issue judging by Rodge and Saints92's comments.

The car has done 75,000 miles, i'm still leaning towards the ABS sensor but hopefully my OBDeleven should be here later this week so will double check the new codes before seeing what sales the car parts people are having next weekend.

OK so my OBDeleven arrived and I scanned and got:

Trouble codes: 
        C101C4A - Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor Incorrect component installed
            Passive
        C101C14 - Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor Open circuit/short circuit to ground
            Passive
        C101C14 - Left rear ABS wheel speed sensor Open circuit/short circuit to ground
            Passive
        C101D29 - Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor Implausible signal
            Passive
        C114602 - Tire pressure monitoring display Signal error
            Passive

I got the wheels off and swapped over the rear left sensor with the right one (after cleaning them up a little). and cleared the codes down...... two days all the same error lights and checking the codes gave me:

Trouble codes: 
        C101D4A - Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor Incorrect component installed
            Passive
        C101D14 - Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor Open circuit/short circuit to ground
            Passive
        C101D14 - Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor Open circuit/short circuit to ground
            Passive
        C114602 - Tire pressure monitoring display Signal error
            Passive

So kinda supporting the view that I have a faulty sensor right? I have ordered one today so will see what happens after I fit the replacement.

IMG_20190512_104431.jpg

IMG_20190512_104436.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is reading this with the same symptoms.

I purchased an OEM sensor https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ate-7618461.html for £38 inc delivery, arrived from Lithuania 2 days later.

Part number for car with self parking is WHT 003 864 A, there are loads of manufacturers on this site but I went for the ATe one as this was the same as the ones originally fitted.

I have been driving around for 2 weeks without a hint of  a problem or error message, so touch wood this seems to have cured all my issues. :-)

• Like 2

I guess you were probably originally getting the right hand error as well, because the signal it was sending didn’t make sense compared to the left, faulty, one.

(  C101D29 - Right rear ABS wheel speed sensor Implausible signal Passive) 

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 31/05/2019 at 22:49, JezHocking said:

In case anyone is reading this with the same symptoms.

I purchased an OEM sensor https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ate-7618461.html for £38 inc delivery, arrived from Lithuania 2 days later.

Part number for car with self parking is WHT 003 864 A, there are loads of manufacturers on this site but I went for the ATe one as this was the same as the ones originally fitted.

I have been driving around for 2 weeks without a hint of  a problem or error message, so touch wood this seems to have cured all my issues. :-)

I’ve just had this plethora of lights come up and my initial gut feeling was abs sensor as I was yomping down the M1. 

did your issue stay cured?

• 6 months later...
On 07/03/2021 at 19:02, village said:

I’ve just had this plethora of lights come up and my initial gut feeling was abs sensor as I was yomping down the M1. 

did your issue stay cured?

So thought i ought to follow this up, just in case it's of use to someone else.

My first plan was to ignore it, which i did, and it worked, albeit briefly. So when I next got in the car the  next day, all the lights were still there, but went off after a few yards and then I cleared all the codes on carista.

Next long journey, after about 5 hours, all the lights came back. Then went off, came back, went off and then came back again and stayed on for the rest of the journey. But again, when left overnight they would clear after a few yards the next day.

This cycle continued for a while (looks like 6mths from the date of my last post!), and it became apparent that the hotter the ambient temp was, the sooner the fault would occur.

Checked the live data on Carista for wheel speeds, which all looked ok and suggested my idea of a faulty abs sensor was off, so, after i got a new light (Error: Brake. Workshop!), I bit the bullet and got skoda to run a diagnostic. Nothing enlightening from the diagnostic, but the tech reckoned it was lightly to be a faulty main power relay. There are two main power relays, and apparently the other one doesn't control anything overly important, so power relays have been swapped round and we'll see what happens. If that solves it, a new relay is only £23, so fingers crossed....

These were the warnings I was getting as at the last activation. Can share the Carista codes too if any interest 

F3B8EC9B-41BC-42FE-B30F-49173640B5F3.jpeg

Edited by village

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

My dashboard has the ABS and ESC and TPMS warning lights on an octavia 3 TDI when i start the car. it usually goes away after a few minutes of driving. Did a VCDS scan and the errors are:

• multiple C101C error pointing to Rear Left Wheel speed sensors,
  • C1146 error for tire pressure monitoring

is it safe to conclude that the Rear Left wheel speed sensor needs replacement and all will be fixed?

c1146 error.JPG

c101c error.JPG

The TPMS uses wheel speed sensors so that's a 'sympathy' fault code, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there's a problem with the left rear wheel speed sensor OR the wiring to it.

If you have Park Assist make sure you get the correct wheel speed sensor as it's different.

• Love it! 1

28 minutes ago, lab4games said:

is it safe to conclude that the Rear Left wheel speed sensor needs replacement and all will be fixed?

I think there's a very good chance it's the sensor or lead, and certainly worth a go as they aren't hugely expensive. I have had this twice before though and once it turned out it was a cracked hub  

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm not getting the same symptoms. Is it as simple as replacing the abs sensor and the car recognizes it itself??

My dash shows front right tyre pressure low. I've reset via radio etc

My odbeleven shows this..

Screenshot_20230402_062958_OBDeleven VAG.jpg

I saw your PM before I saw this … I’d definitely give it a go with a new sensor. Easy job and the car should immediately recognize the fault as being fixed (if it has fixed it!)

Certainly the starting point, especially if you are not getting all the other dash lights