You can tell Mk1 Octy is old - headlight bulbs easy to change!

Hi,

I have just changed both of my headlight bulbs in the matter of minutes. Soooooo easy. Thank you Skoda.

I would even be able do it at the side of the road without any tools.  Beat that modern cars!

The bulbs I took out were the originals as they had 2005 date stamp on them. I read they loose their brightness over time, which makes sense.

I bought some OSRAM Nightbreakers as they got a good review in Autoexpress's recent H4 bulb test.  Will try them out on the drive back home tomorrow.

Funnily enough, I did the same thing today, with the same product and the same observation. The hardest part was getting the cover off on the OS.

Also put some new sidelights in. Should be good, not had a chance to try them either.

Cool I'm lookin around now.... I do like that whole blue looking light thing tho.... Mmmmmmmm hid's

Trouble with fitting HID's in the stock housings is that they're not really designed for them, and you will get a lot of annoying light scatter which will pee off oncoming motorists. Also, another consideration (as I like to just get on with my life in an invisible fashion) is that as soon as you have anything that looks 'cool' or 'blue' or whatever, you are then marking yourself out as a target for any bored Plod that you might come across.

Why risk having a pull and a BiB going over your car and documents with a fine-toothed comb?

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed with the stock headlamp output when I bought my VRs, so I got a pair of the Osram Nightbreakers that others have mentioned. They're pretty cheap on ebay.

They make a world of difference in my opinion - way good enough to see and be seen with. If these are not bright enough for you when driving at night - then I might suggest that you're probably driving way too fast!! :D

Im running nghtbreakers for the last 3/4 months, i do a fair amount of night driving with my job,

and they are a massive step up from the standard H4 bulbs.

Cant speak to the Philips, though whenever the Osrams fail i was going to get some to do a proper caomparison..

the Osrams were 66% of the price which swung it for me when trying to decide...

I went for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus as they were dirt cheap from Amazon (less than twelve quid).  They are noticeably brighter than the standard bulbs, more like the light output you'd get from a more modern car.  Obviously they're not in the same league as Xenons but they're just as bright as the excellent H7 lights on my Missus' 2009 Jazz.

It's good to know that they're easy to fit - I have to admit, I didn't bother finding out, I just got the garage to fit them while it was in for some work doing!

I went for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus as they were dirt cheap from Amazon (less than twelve quid).  They are noticeably brighter than the standard bulbs, more like the light output you'd get from a more modern car.  Obviously they're not in the same league as Xenons but they're just as bright as the excellent H7 lights on my Missus' 2009 Jazz.

It's good to know that they're easy to fit - I have to admit, I didn't bother finding out, I just got the garage to fit them while it was in for some work doing!

just ordered these too,  so see how that are when fitted

just ordered these too,  so see how that are when fitted

Just put some in my mkII, I now seem to have yellow side lights...

I would say the headlights in the mkI are not the best, even with uprated bulbs, SWMBO's mkI Seat Leon is better with standard bulbs.

I put Nightbreaker+ in my Octy, and thought about giving the old Philips +50% to my sister.

Instructions for changing headlight bulbs in her Jazz started "Put car on full lock and remove the wheelarch liner!!!

I'm never going to attempt to change anything on my other half's Jazz - I've never seen an engine bay so crowded despite the use of a tiny battery, tiny washer fluid reservoir etc.  Half the engine's under the dashboard!

Previously had Philips Xtreme vision in mine (£30/pair) until one blew and I didn't fancy forking out that kind of money again. Now replaced with Osram Nightbreaker Plus for <£12/pair, light output seems just as good as before. Even if they only last a year before one blows they'll still be better value than the Philips ones.

Eurocarparts also sell uprated Bosch bulbs for £15/pair I think, if my Nightbreakers don't last too long I will give those a go next.

Only last a year! The Hungary made originals have lasted 8 years without blowing. I am expecting these OSRAMS to last a similar time.

I suppose the saying 'the light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long' is true!

Or even a twelfth as long!  If they last a year I won't really mind, a quid a month for better brightness isn't a bad deal really.  Wish the original owner of my vRS had specified Xenons though...

Fitted some Hids to mine today. Wired it all in, concealed the wires as best as I could, tidied up. Closed bonnet and then tried them on. Drivers side worked fine, but the passenger side did not power up. Closer inspection showed a duff bulb. Balls! Spent the next half hour taking it all out and fitting the old bulbs in till the new Hid replacement ones arrive.

Should have gone with Philips extreme vision ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Ive just replaced to standard headlights wish the osram nightbreaker unlimited. Theres a very clear difference with the new bulbs.

I swapped Phillips extreme bulbs with the nightbreakers when I had a ford focus and thought the nightbreakers were brighter.

Id be staying with the osrams for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Motorola Flare