Audi winter alloy wheels fitted today!

My £200 eBay specials (4x 17" Audi TT (Trapez) alloys) and £100 / corner Avon Ice Tourer ST's fitted this afternoon (225/45 R17 94V).

Had to botch some eBay sourced 70mm Skoda logo stickers to get them to fit the domed centre caps properly but they don't look too bad. Let's hope they last the winter.

Went for the same size wheels / tyres as factory standard as my Superb already looked under-wheeled on 17's, let alone 16's and I'm a little vain when it comes to wheels.

Let's hope the suspension settles after being jacked-up as for some reason they look smaller than the identically sized Triffid's fitted with the summer tyres!

IMG_5391_zps917b4cfe.jpg

IMG_5393_zps4dc15f45.jpg

IMG_5394_zpsb9ee5aa0.jpg

IMG_5397_zpsc78c611d.jpg

IMG_5388_zps47887f82.jpg

IMG_5390_zps10c37b76.jpg

• Like 2

A valid question, it was simply convienience.

I didn't want the hassle of having to visit a tyre fitter twice a year. No matter how careful they are the wheels usually suffer some minor cosmetics scratches each time a tyre is removed/refitted.

They also tend to charge approx £10 per wheel to replace a tyre so £40 a time, twice a year (summers-off / winters-on then winters-off / summers back on) equals £80.

My second set of alloys only cost me £200 so will they have paid for themselves in a little over two seasons.

Plus if I sell the car I can then sell the full set of winter wheels and tyres.

Some also say the summer alloys are less likely to suffer at the hands of the salt and grit on winter roads although I don't so much buy this as I've never had issues in the past, however if I kerb or damage the winters in the snow etc. it'll be less of a concern than if I did the same to the summer wheels.

Edited by silver1011

Looks good - and totally agree with you re 2nd set of wheels. - It's soooo much easier - and as you say, can be had at the right price. 

Here's our collection...

1390480_10152063214816804_1916983364_n.j

Wife's Kia Cee'd - My AMG Merc - In-Laws Superb - and dad's Yeti's were yet to make it into the pile - Garage looked like Kwik-Fit!

Al. 

You got one with a typo then. Its listed as £240.99 now!!

You got one with a typo then. Its listed as £240.99 now!!

Must be temporarily out of stock, so they add in a zero to stop people buying in short term.

oh and THANKS too!  :(  I just went looking and found another supplier doing them for £24.99, and bought one.....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I fell out of love with the Audi alloys, I hankered after the original Triffid alloys all through the winter months and couldn't wait to put the summers back on.

So ever since I've been looking for a second set of Triffids, it's taken some time (they are rare) but I finally bagged a set. They were a little rough with some previous repairs but after a full refurb by SEM in Sunderland (very, very good) they are better than new! They have built up all the rims (different heights due to poor repairs, cleaned up all the scratches, chips and corrosion etc.).

These will be my new summers and the current set currently on the car will become my winters.

Just need to sell the Audi wheels and winter tyres now.

Can't wait to get the fitted, SEM use a really bright metallic paint. They refurbed the alloys on the wife's Octavia Scout a year or so ago and I was impressed then. These are even better  :sun:

IMG_7569_zpsch0e9ban.jpg

IMG_7570_zpsr8krt52o.jpg

IMG_7573_zpswvbjzxqw.jpg

IMG_7572_zps6dkewbkj.jpg

• Like 1

I fell out of love with the Audi alloys, I hankered after the original Triffid alloys all through the winter months and couldn't wait to put the summers back on.

So ever since I've been looking for a second set of Triffids, it's taken some time (they are rare) but I finally bagged a set. They were a little rough with some previous repairs but after a full refurb by SEM in Sunderland (very, very good) they are better than new! They have built up all the rims (different heights due to poor repairs, cleaned up all the scratches, chips and corrosion etc.).

These will be my new summers and the current set currently on the car will become my winters.

Just need to sell the Audi wheels and winter tyres now.

Can't wait to get the fitted, SEM use a really bright metallic paint. They refurbed the alloys on the wife's Octavia Scout a year or so ago and I was impressed then. These are even better  :sun:

IMG_7569_zpsch0e9ban.jpg

IMG_7570_zpsr8krt52o.jpg

IMG_7573_zpswvbjzxqw.jpg

IMG_7572_zps6dkewbkj.jpg

didnt fancy having them diamond cut?

I had diamond cut / polished alloys on our Octavia Scout. We had two full sets replaced under warranty due to corrosion and then when they went again I had them refurbished without the inherently weak polished finish.

The Triffid's for the Superb were a standard finish from the factory so I was happy to get them painted again, all be it in a brighter more metallic finish. They also paint them nice and thick too for a durable and long lasting finish. Here are the Scouts...

IMG_6033_zps6efb198c.jpg

This is how bad they can look as the polished finish delaminates...

IMG_0269.jpg

why are alloys now all domed out (it seems) when the old Wolferace slot mags were always dished.....

Is this why the get damaged so easily i wonder

RWD hub offset?