Which oil do I buy?

austenw90

:hi:

This is my first post so apologies if this has already been discussed. I know oil is a hot topic of coversation on the Fabia II VRS.

I've just picked mine up this week and am trying to work out what oil I should keep for topping up etc.

It is on the fixed service plan and has 5w-40 Castrol Magnatec in it now according the dealer who last serviced it in August.

The dealer I bought it from told me to buy Quantum PD 5w40 oil which I have just bought from my local VW garage. Is this correct?

With regard to Castrol, there seem to be quite a few different options. 

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69392-castrol-magnatec-5w-40-c3-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

http://direct.asda.com/Castrol-Edge-Engine-Oil-5W40---4L/001022057,default,pd.html

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164264_langId_-1_categoryId_165581#tab1

I've got a feeling the Opie Oils C3 grade is the right one?? I would rather buy a 4L bottle of Castrol and return the Quantum stuff, but can't figure out which one to buy  :think:

Thanks in advance.

I've always put Castrol Edge 5W-30 in mine. Can't remember what they put in at the service.

That's a bit of a vague answer, but I'm sure someone else on here will have better knowledge to share. :)

I have Castrol Edge 0W-30 FST...........but then again I am constantly being told I'm special :rofl:

502 000 Spec is what you are after Castrol Edge 5W-30 FST

That said if you are buying just to top up and not for a full oil change then I would suggest you put in more of the same as what's in there.

the 5/40 will also be fine.... my current car has only ever had castrol edge 5W 30 in it, and used about 1 litre every 6,000 miles , my previous car (which I did 50k in , also fabia II vRS) had the syntium 5000sx (BMW's chosen oil for servicing their deisel engines) in it , and never used a drop.... when i run out of castrol oil, I will be buying some of that :)

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

So can I get some of this:

http://www.wilko.com/car-maintenance/castrol-edge-motor-oil-5w-40-fully-synthetic-1ltr/invt/0310679

Is the Quantum PD 5/40 suitable? It says it is for TDI engines??

yes because of this VW 502 00/ 505 00 as long as it meets at least 502 VW spec its fine :)

HANG ON.

We have an Oil thread but no George..........

something's not right

Indeed, but in the thousands of words placed on here on this subject I've yet to see a satisfactory answer to this question...

Which is,if you have a vRS which has always run well but has a modest oil thirst (1litre per 3000 miles) will the thirst be reduced if I switch from 5/30 to 5/40 oil or will it make no difference?

If no-one knows then I'll do an interim oil change next year to 5/40 to find out....all oils to the correct VAG specs,of course.

Edited by XK140

Abroad and on a non English keyboard,

5w 30 or 5w 40 makes no difference what so ever,

there were threads with Jabozuma and others on putting if 20w 50 which was ridiculous so i run 2 vRS, one on 5w 30 and one on 5w 40 at the time,

& changed one several times over a few months from different oils.

Any oil works much the same.

Mobile 1 5w 30 runs cooler by several degrees indicated on the maxidot than the stuff that comes in the car from the factory & the Quantum lll Long Life 10w 40 Dealerships.

i am running Mobile 1 all the time now.

(i once got a supply of Hooky Mobile 1, and it was obvious in 30 miles as the temp went sky high that it was 

a wrong one, and it was crap that was being punted around the country. just rubbish oil packed as something else.)

george

• Like 1

Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to help provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of many leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern diesel and gasoline powered passenger car engines.

I'd go for the best oil you can afford , never scrimp on oil

they once ran a BMW on mobil 1 for 100k , changing oil at specified (variable) times, and then dismantled the engine, using laser measurin,g the tolerances were within factory spec, so it could have been sold as a new engine (in theory, it was obviously used, but within facotry tolorences)

Edited by sharkrider

So only the advanced technology of an oil (from which a premium price follows) really matters?

Ok,so are you experts saying that the old rules are not relevant to a vRS ?....by which I mean that back in the day oil thirst was related to an oil getting past the rings and being burnt in the combustion chambers (or getting past valve stem oil seals)....in which case an oil thicker at higher temperatures (eg 5/40 against 5/30) was more resistant to those factors in theory.

...and if the oil that is disappearing is NOT getting burnt in the combustion chambers then where is it escaping ?

Edited by XK140

Personally I prefer the 5w 40 , however vag and oil suppliers always stipulate 5/30 there must be a reason for this ? , of course these engines burn oil as the rx8 does, why because they are sooooo highly tuned I would imagine

I believe the VAG specs for oil are 5/40 grade on a 10k miles/annual basis but the "long life" oil is a 5/30 grade.

Grading differences aside, arguably the 5/30 will be a little more 'robust' as it operates over a longer period of time?

Edited by Lee

So only the advanced technology of an oil (from which a premium price follows) really matters?

Ok,so are you experts saying that the old rules are not relevant to a vRS ?....by which I mean that back in the day oil thirst was related to an oil getting past the rings and being burnt in the combustion chambers (or getting past valve stem oil seals)....in which case an oil thicker at higher temperatures (eg 5/40 against 5/30) was more resistant to those factors in theory.

...and if the oil that is disappearing is NOT getting burnt in the combustion chambers then where is it escaping ?

I an attempt to answer you question of how to reduce oil consuption, I just think these engines all turn out differently!

nothing but randomness (and maybe to gentle a run in ) seem to cause high consuption.....

my first engine (CAVE) used a litre in the first 10k then nothing at all for the next 40k...

this car (CTHE) with all the engine changes , was treated the same by me, yet uses more, it has used 1.5 litres in the first 10k, and 0.5 litres since the 10k service (over 3,000 miles) .... so I think it may constantly use 1litre every 6,000 miles , I mean thats ok, octy 2.0 fsi engines tend to use more than that! so i would consider it normal, but why my old one used nothing? I cant explain, only difference was it was serviced with BMW's prefered deisel oil syntium 5000sx...

in conclusion, I would say "It's a lottery"

Shark

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 3

I took mine along to my trusted mechanic at the weekend to get a professional opinion when checking the oil. He advised a top up which he did FOC with the appropriate Mobil oil. He topped it up so that it was just a little off maximum, he must have put in somewhere in the region of 500ml or slightly more. The car was last serviced in September at about 5700 miles / 1 year (62 plate). It had done about 1200 miles since on Saturday so about 6900. Does this oil consumption level sound reasonable? To confirm oil was showing on about 1/3 on the mesh measure area on the dipstick, so 2/3 with no oil on.

I am trusting that the car is sound being from a large main dealer, being a demo and then one owner for just a year before I bought it.

My mechanic said oil consumption like this was quite normal.

Thanks

Edited by austenw90

Sounds Reasonable.

Not really normal,  just normal for ones that need oil top ups regularly,

Normal engines are not requiring checking and topping up with oil for about every 3 tanks of fuel.used.

Really can/may/might  use as much as 0.5 litres in 621 miles according to Skoda/VW  

*Yours sounds like it had not used that, half that if he did only put in 0.5 litres to top up to the correct level.*

(That is actually a crazy amount, but that is the figure they say for all their engines as might be normal.)

Was the car at normal running temperature, ie hot oil when he was checking it?

Hopefully your car is fine,

but being a Demo Car and then a 1 private owner car for a year means nothing really,

any car can be an Oil User, and many that have been were Ex Demonstrators, then owners have got shot of oil users.

If you know how to check the oil when hot, just watch it is not using too much oil when it is at the correct level to start with.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services or the Dealer what Warranty Work if any was done on your car, did it get a Oil Consumption test when owned by the previous owner.

george

Sounds Reasonable.

Not really normal,  just normal for ones that need oil top ups regularly,

Normal engines are not requiring checking and topping up with oil for about every 3 tanks of fuel.used.

Really can/may/might  use as much as 0.5 litres in 621 miles according to Skoda/VW  

*Yours sounds like it had not used that, half that if he did only put in 0.5 litres to top up to the correct level.*

(That is actually a crazy amount, but that is the figure they say for all their engines as might be normal.)

Was the car at normal running temperature, ie hot oil when he was checking it?

Hopefully your car is fine,

but being a Demo Car and then a 1 private owner car for a year means nothing really,

any car can be an Oil User, and many that have been were Ex Demonstrators, then owners have got shot of oil users.

If you know how to check the oil when hot, just watch it is not using too much oil when it is at the correct level to start with.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services or the Dealer what Warranty Work if any was done on your car, did it get a Oil Consumption test when owned by the previous owner.

george

The engine was up to temperature and sat for a "few minutes" as per the handbook. I'm guessing it has only just about run in so things may change in the miles ahead.

I will make a call to Skoda UK tomorrow to see.

As an ex Fiat group fan this is a completely new venture for me. I have been used to many miles of problem free motoring (despite what some may say about Fiat) so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the advice.

& with Skoda/VW thinking and you car was possible going to drink oil at 1 litre every 1200 miles,  

you would gave topped up with 10 litres of 504 in 12,000 miles.

Even half their 'Official' acceptable usage and you drive off with a new or used car containing 3.6 litres, 

and when you go in for a 10,000 mile service you have put in 8 litres or more,  8 x £7 =£56,  then that gets drained and you pay for another 3.6 litres.

It is just the same as buying an Extra Tank of Petrol a year,

but a Pith Take.

Imagine doing 18,000 miles on Flexible/Variable servicing & putting in 15 litres of oil topping up.

so £84 worth of 504 oil put in between services.

Half of 0.5 litres used per 1000 km (621 miles) driven, & oil topping up is bad, enough but accepted by some.

Spirited driving and it might be fair enough, but just a generally easily driven car and it is a sad state of affairs IMO. 

18,000 - 19,000 variable service intervals might be OK according to Service Codes and the Engines Sensor,

But with the not very special oil filter as fitted on Twinchargers,

i would never go 2 years between oil and oil filter changes,

Or be leaving both in for 18,000 miles.

Unless it was a Lease Car and getting punted after 3 years.   Then sadly some private owner might be landed with it.

Just spoken to Customer Services regarding my car specifically. They confirmed that there have been two warranty claims:

December 2012 - Crankcase Breather Valve replaced

and also an alloy wheel replaced due to corrosion

I assume that since December 2012 the car has been running fine without any need for further work as there are no further claims to speak of. I have read that this was a fix on some but not others.