Stream MP3 with Bluetooth?

The car concerned is a 57 reg Octavia Scout TDi. It is fitted with its original Stream MP3 HU. I also have a VW 7P6 035 730L bluetooth unit that I purchased for use in a Fabia that I have since sold. This fitment was totally abortive because of issues between CANBus versions.

A few questions for any kind person who knows the answers:

1 - does the Stream MP3 work with bluetooth modules and, if so, will it work with the one that I have?

2 - if I have to change the HU, which one would be best and are there any issues with Canbus versions between my car and newer HUs?

3 - Will VCDS coding be necessary to get the bluetooth working?

I am pretty happy with what is involved in installing the bluetooth module and a microphone if it will all work, as I went through this with the Fabia.

Edited by nickcoll

The car concerned is a 57 reg Octavia Scout TDi. It is fitted with its original Stream MP3 HU. I also have a VW 7P6 035 730L bluetooth unit that I purchased for use in a Fabia that I have since sold. This fitment was totally abortive because of issues between CANBus versions.

A few questions for any kind person who knows the answers:

1 - does the Stream MP3 work with bluetooth modules and, if so, will it work with the one that I have?

2 - if I have to change the HU, which one would be best and are there any issues with Canbus versions between my car and newer HUs?

3 - Will VCDS coding be necessary to get the bluetooth working?

I am pretty happy with what is involved in installing the bluetooth module and a microphone if it will all work, as I went through this with the Fabia.

2 - a lot of Amundsen+/RNS315 units come with Bluetooth. (and Navigation, DAB optional). Pretty much plug and play really. OEM mic goes up to the grille on the interior lighting. You'd need a new fascia too as it's squarer than the Stream. Some say it will integrate with MaxiDot, some say it won't. Am picking up an 07 Scout tomorrow with MaxiDot, so I'll be looking into this for my RNS315 first hand :)

You may need a newer CAN gateway to avoid battery drain. But being a late 2007 model, I'd lean more towards you not needing this as they are generally good enough from early/mid 2007.

A VCDS scan would confirm.

3 - you may find it works without coding, but I'd always recommend getting it coded properly.

1- I don't think the Stream MP3 has a 'telephone' button so I'd say its probably not going to work.

2 - as above, an Amundsen+ (make sure it's got BT in as it's not always obvious) would be a good choice as the extra cost is largely offset by not having to purchase and fit the BT module. And you get sat nav.

HTH

Bolero + BT module will be more expensive and have less features, unless you are really really lucky. There's a few Amundsen/315s on ebay for a little over £300, inc BT and DAB.

Stream MP3 work with BT. Have seen on my friends 2005 Estate (4x4) to have a handsfree that was not in use (old model phones, I thihk it was for Siemens or Nokia).

As he want this static handsfree to take out (not in use) and just to use as classic BT. Module itself was allready mounted with wires. So after installed BT antenna, handsfree module take out and simple coding with VCDS, BT is working normally

• 6 months later...

Newbie alert....this is my first post in this forum....please be gentle!!  :angel:

I've just bought a 2013 Blackline vRS Octavia; It has an Amundsen+ head-unit and the salesman led me to believe that it had Bluetooth and Phone capability. It looks as if it doesn't (although it DOES have DAB)!.

They have offered to fit a Parrot at cost price (but said that I would have to pay for it....which I'm not exactly chuffed about!!).

Having done some research in this forum (specifically the steps needed to enable Bluetooth using VCDS here), I suggested that this would be an easier (and cheaper) option than me having to fork out for a Parrot (irrespective of who should pay given that I was "misled"!). Their technical service chappie said that he'd never heard of VCDS but that if the Amundsen+ did indeed have Bluetooth capability (albeit disabled) there would be a box under the driver's seat...there isn't!

So, my question(s): -

1. Is there an easy way for me to determine whether the head-unit actually DOES have BT hardware?
  2. Would the Amundsen+ have to have a box under the driver's seat for BT functionality (I assume this box would be the BT hardware)?
  3. Is "VAG-com" the software tool that VAG dealerships would use to communicate with the car using the OBD2 connector (and is VCDS just another tool that has similar functionality)?
  4. If it does NOT have BT hardware, what specifically do I need to get in order to have BT?
Edited by Teknolone

I'm pretty sure all the Blacklines had bluetooth. The Amundsen units in those have it integrated and it just needs a mic fitting and activating in VCDS. The how to on here you linked to is the way to go.

VCDS is a diagnostic tool similar to VAGCOM. Check out the VCDS section for a map of members with it who can help out.

IF it has BT, it will be built in on the Amundsen+, but not all units have that capability.

If it is built in then it should just be a question of activating it with VCDS (see owners map in this forum) or the dealer system and adding a mic.

If it doesn't have BT, then you'll need a loom & module to fit. No wiring to chop or splice, it plugs inbetween the headunit & quadlock and runs a cable to, usually, under the driver's seat. Easy to retrofit, but will need coding with VCDS to gain full functionality.

Have a look at Cars Equipment website for a kit to retrofit. Which module you want depends upon your phone communication protocol and what functionality you want.

Hope that guides you a little. If you are near Bromyard, Herefirdshire, call round and I'll see if I can activate it for you.

I've activated bt on a couple of Blacklines and it isn't the separate module under the drivers seat, it is built in to the Amundsen+

A simple tick box in vcds and the addition of a microphone (I think eddynl on here sells the mic/loom)

Vcds is an aftermarket vag programming tool which isn't used by dealers, they use something else, but it is similar. Oh and vagcom and vcds is the same thing.

Thank you for your responses!

As Anddenton states that " it isn't the separate module under the drivers seat, it is built in to the Amundsen+" I shall be returning to the dealership to start negotiating!!

This forum is a mine of useful information..... Following on from the above I used the options decoder tool here to see what the car was supplied with. Of particular interest are the following: -

8RM = 8 speakers (passive)

7UC = Navigation system "RNS315" (integrated data storage device)

8AY = Radio/navigation system

9W0 = W/o car phone preparation/installation

Does 9W0 suggest that the Amundsen+ does NOT have integral BT hardware? I suppose the only way to prove this either way is to find out what VCDS makes of it....enable BT and see what happens.

Edited by Teknolone

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect what is arguably a dead post but I have tried searching for the information I need and come up short.

I also have just bought an 07 reg Octavia VRS which comes with the Stream MP3 head unit and I would like to know what I need to do to get it to allow me to bluetooth my phone to it.

Has anyone on here done this and could advise me on what is the simplest solution?

Thanks!

Do you have maxidot? If so you can purchase one of the older 5n0 035 730 a/b/c modules and a loom and fit BT that way which then is controlled via the maxidot. They are pretty cheap on ebay these says. If you dont have maxidot you are looking at aftermarket solutions.