Need a cheap phone which is compatible with Bluetooth in Yeti

GreyKnight

Hi all

My dad bought a brand new Yeti TDi 140ps Elegance 4x4 back at the end of last year (great car, it's his first Skoda and he's so pleased with it, he's always had Land Rover's before).  This week he asked me if I could get him a new PAYG phone which he would be able to use with the Buetooth so he can take calls in the car.

I bought a Nokia 108 from the Carphone Warehouse for £28.  It was the cheapest phone I could find which had Bluetooth (my dad is 75 and only uses his phone to make and receive calls, he doesn't even understand texting).

Unfortunately when I tried to pair the phone with his Yeti yesterday the pairing worked fine, but then the display in the car said "connection not possible".  I tried a number of times, the devices found each other and the codes matched etc, but then it just wouldn't work.

Can anybody recommend a CHEAP phone (preferably under £50) which they know does work with the Bluetooth in the Yeti?  It's a 63 plate car (pre-facelift).

many thanks

Graham

Greynight welcome,

Have you tried turning of Blu-tooth on the phone, and turning it on again.

I have Samsung Tab 3 and have had similar prob's, especially if I have used Headset prior to useing the car.

Hope this helps because after I do this the Columbus Unit recognizes the Tablet.

Prhaps there should be a pinned Topic which lists all the phones that work.

Found this http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/80860-skoda-bluetooth-phone-compatibility/

and

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/phone-pairing-for-dummies_topic610.html#.U1ouwldQZSc

Edited by DonjSZ5

My Nokia 301 works fine with my SE Plus's Amunsden bluetooth. £49.95 from Carphone Warehouse, plus £10 top-up-a bit above your price range but I've always had really good mileage from my Nokia bricks and the 301 looks to be continuing the tradition (had it over a year and dropped it countless times-it bounces admirably!) Nice big physical buttons and loud enough for older lugholes like mine.

If you look at the CP Warehouse reviews of the phone, all the reviewers are 50+ and say it's a great basic phone. Sounds perfect for your dad I'd wager.

Edited by fastestlouigie

I have a Nokia 113. It's cheap (from about £20) and the bluetooth connection was straightforward and worked first time, and every time since whenever the ignition is switched on.

Originally it was to be left in the car for 'emergencies' - ie when I forgot my other phone - but it's so convenient and pocketable in size that I use it most of the time.

I'd recommend an in-car charger too for another couple of pounds.

I am ignorant of mobile phones. I spend about £5 a year on a "Pay as you go"  Virgin Sim card. It is generally only used in the car so fully functioning bluetooth is what I am after. Quesions:-

1 - I have on order a FL Yeti SE with standard Bolero radio. Will I get bluetooth facility with the radio, and if so is it through the standard steering wheel?

2 - If so, and I get a Nokia 113 as above will this give me my phone book?

At present I have a Garnin satnav, which in the past picked up the phonebook of an ancient Sony Erricson, but will not on a cheap Virgin/Alcatel, or my wifes Samsung.

Colin

My samsung S3 will only work properly if I select the option in the phone not to download the phone book to the car.

If you let it store the phone book it starts going on and off up to 10 times before failing altogether.

Seems the earlier yeti radios are incompatible with all the data held in modern phone books and fail when they get to an entry they can't use properly.

It works fine without the address book installed and I can still localyy store the most imortant numbers manually into the radio

I am ignorant of mobile phones. I spend about £5 a year on a "Pay as you go"  Virgin Sim card. It is generally only used in the car so fully functioning bluetooth is what I am after. Quesions:-

1 - I have on order a FL Yeti SE with standard Bolero radio. Will I get bluetooth facility with the radio, and if so is it through the standard steering wheel?

2 - If so, and I get a Nokia 113 as above will this give me my phone book?

At present I have a Garnin satnav, which in the past picked up the phonebook of an ancient Sony Erricson, but will not on a cheap Virgin/Alcatel, or my wifes Samsung.

Colin

You will get the BT on the SE with all the controls on the steering wheel and and voice control, all the info for the phone will display in the MFD in between the rev counter and speedo, as for phones just try your current one to see how it works, if it has problems connecting or showing phone book then upgrade to a newer phone. I have a Samsung and it works perfectly.

Thank you Kevin, that is very helpful. My wifes Samsung, soon to be mine I think, is a "Galaxy Ace Plus S7500" so hopefully it will work.

Just one thing, what is "You will get the BT" please.

Colin

Thank you Kevin, that is very helpful. My wifes Samsung, soon to be mine I think, is a "Galaxy Ace Plus S7500" so hopefully it will work.

Just one thing, what is "You will get the BT" please.

Colin

BT, " bluetooth"

I had same problems with Samsung mini GTS5570,it would not load the phone book. Bought Sony Experia E, connected in one minute,No Problems so far.

This won't help you because you've already changed your phone, but phone book on the GT S5570 DOES load on the Bolero.

I missed the trick of it at first, but the first time it connects after you set it up a message appears on the drop down screen on the phone asking if you want to give Skoda BT permission to access your phone book (or words to that effect...). Accept it and make sure the box it ticked so that it doesn't need to ask you again and away you go!

Yes. The key to all new set ups is to look at the phone and NOT at the Bolero, Columbus, etc. One is inclined to look at the unfamiliar item i.e.the radio when it is the phone that has to give permission. The phone will ask the question and one must supply the answer within a set time. If it wasn't this way round, I could access all those around me in the supermarket car park whilst waiting for 'er indoors to come outdoors with the heavy shopping bags. (Of course I haven't tried this ever. No not at all. Well just possibly...)

• 2 weeks later...

Another alternative from Martin's Money Tips: Cheap thickphone (non-smartphone). The Samsung E1200 from Phones4U is £7.95 and unlocked. Other handsets cost less, but here the top-up's just £10 and credit doesn't expire if you make at least one call every six months.

Is it that the Yeti Bluetooth needs a phone that support RSAP (Remote Sim Access Protocol)? What this means is that basically instead of the phone handling the calls and using it's own GSM radio the car takes control of the SIM card and uses it's GSM radio and antenna etc.

If so then one phone that I know supports it is the Nokia 301. I have one sat next to me now and I'm going to use it for my other half when I get Bluetooth fitted to my car.

Most of the Samsung galaxy phones support it, some early HTC phones do too (HTC Desire hind of era) and most other Android phones need to be rooted to enable it (very technical!).

Here is a list of supported Android based phones:

http://www.android-rsap.com/compatibility.html

Most of the Symbian Nokia Phones support it out of the box (Like the Nokia 301).

Phil

Is it that the Yeti Bluetooth needs a phone that support RSAP (Remote Sim Access Protocol)? What this means is that basically instead of the phone handling the calls and using it's own GSM radio the car takes control of the SIM card and uses it's GSM radio and antenna etc.

No, it's the fairly standard GSM II module that's fitted as standard to the FL Yeti Phil. So will be capable of HFP as well as rSAP.

Think it's just down to the sheer number of phone variables in this case, and the slightly different way they will use BT - around initiating the connection, making the device visible etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Nokia 113. It's cheap (from about £20) and the bluetooth connection was straightforward and worked first time, and every time since whenever the ignition is switched on.

Originally it was to be left in the car for 'emergencies' - ie when I forgot my other phone - but it's so convenient and pocketable in size that I use it most of the time.

I'd recommend an in-car charger too for another couple of pounds.

Hi Mike

From your post I bought my dad a Nokia 113.  Got it connected up fine.  The only problem is that there is no phone audio coming through the car speakers?  The car microphone works fine as when I call him I can hear dad speaking to me, but he can't hear me speaking back???

Is there something special I need to do in order to pipe the sound through?  Hands free is set to on and so is the microphone.  Surely you don;t have to physically plug a cable in to the AUX socket?

thanks

Graham

Don't take this the wrong way but have you turned up the volume as the BT volume is separate from the radio volume, and once set while in call will stay that way even if the radio is turned down.   

Don't take this the wrong way but have you turned up the volume as the BT volume is separate from the radio volume, and once set while in call will stay that way even if the radio is turned down.   

I did turn up the volume knob while "in-call" but nothing happened, is there a special place/way to do it?

I did turn up the volume knob while "in-call" but nothing happened, is there a special place/way to do it?

No, ignition on turn up the volume with the roller wheel, should be all you need to do, but just noticed in your post you say the hands free is on, by that do you mean that the phone is set to speaker on the phone so you can hear it without holding it to your ear, as this may stop the audio coming through.   just have the phone set to make and receive calls normally and let the BT control it from the steering wheel,

Only other thing to try is delete from the car and reconnect it again.