About to purchase new Yeti Elegance but concerned about paint

Sherman1973

Hi found this forum last night :) I was having a look round prior to committing to purchase of outdoor Elegance. I was really concerned to find a post about bubbling paint, so much so; it has just about put me off :(

I think most of this fault seemed to be on the older Yeti (pre face lift) and Metallic paints possibly

My question is has anyone had this problem on face lifted Yeti not sure when that actually came out ?

Going for a test drive again today :)

Really appreciate any input you guys can give

Thanks

Either way, I wouldn't worry buddy, sure it might be inconvenient if it happens (and I do stress if) but you have a full Manufacturers Warranty so it would be sorted without question.

I believe I read a couple (literally) of the Octys had paint issues and all were sorted without question.

• Like 1

If you checked any make or model forum before buying a new car then you would probably never by one. You very rarely get people posting that their car is fantastic, most posts are people with problems or haven't read the owners manual and don't know how things work. I think there are very few Yetis with paint problems and they seem to be early models with metallic paint. I certainly wouldn't let a few posts put you off, I'm on my second Yeti.

• Like 4

My old elegance with solid paint had no bodywork issues other than stone chips when it went back to the lease company at 4 years old with 61k.

I wouldn't worry about it is you are getting a new car, you have plenty of time under the warranty to sort out any issues that may arise, and personally I think that most vehicles will be 100% ok.

• Like 1

If you checked any make or model forum before buying a new car then you would probably never by one. You very rarely get people posting that their car is fantastic

Mine is fantastic!!

Paintwise is brilliant and I have been on some rough off-roads and around my Mother-in-laws Farm. No problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess you guys are right.Although being able to check for problems on the net can be good; it is also a bad thing. Also now I think about it, people do tend to only post -or more so- bad things.

Well I've just had a test drive of a elegance 4x4 with the 2.0 TDI CR 140 PS 4x4 I'm not going to let the paint problem put me off :) I have to say I was really impressed and wanted to bring it home on the spot :)

I was initially -before being tempted today- going to get the Greenline II TDI 2 wheel drive because of it good mpg figures. But now I want the 2 litre 140 ps I test drove today.

So again, wanted some advice. What real world mpg figures will I get out of this model ? As I am concerned, being 4wd that it will cost to much to run on uraban daily can't be bothered to walk kind of stuff ;)

Thanks again for the help :)

..... now I want the 2 litre 140 ps I test drove today.  Of course you do!  Quite rightly

......What real world mpg figures will I get out of this model ? ..... You'd get all sorts of answers here, because each member's driving experience is unique.  Click the Fuelly link in my signature below and follow the 'Browse similar vehicles' link at the bottom of the webpage for a wider picture

......Thanks again for the help :)  You're welcome! ;)

• Like 1

I have had  a manual 140 for 4 years and done 80k miles, and keep a papertrace of all my fuel. That gives me an average at the middle to top of the 40's. Comparisons about fuel consumption are difficult as there are far too many variables. For example, my commute to work is 48 miles of cross-country A roads often at 0430 plus I drive very defensively.

Don't worry about the 4x4 system as for most of the time it is inactive.

• Like 1

Don't worry about the 4x4 system as for most of the time it is inactive.

Although you will still be carrying the extra weight all the time it's doing nothing, and excess weight is a contributor to worse fuel economy, all other things being equal* (hence why eg the Greenline II isn't available from the factory with a spare wheel).

* Which of course they very rarely are!

• Like 1

Hi Sherman1973,

As you have found it's a great car to drive.

I've got the same drive train as your thinking of buying.

I've got a heavy right foot and now done 8500 miles, the average has just gone over 40mpg for that mileage.

If I drive defensively, I can get 48+mpg per tank full.

Good luck with your purchase, enjoy.  

• Like 1

As others have said, don't worry about the paint. People by nature are much more likely to complain than they are likely to say all is fine. On most car forums for every one complaint about something there's probably 1000 happy people. Cars are sold in their thousands (or millions in some cases) yet serious complaints are often countable on your fingers.

My Yeti is 2010 '10' Reg and the paintwork is in really good condition. There are a handful of chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and one on a door mirror but nothing too odd for a four year old car. Certainly no signs of zinc/galvanisation problems or rust bubbles. There is some speckling ahead of the rear arches but very small and none through the primer. This is with no mudflaps or foil protection. I might get foils at some point but TBH it's not that bad and is amlost invisible when the car has been waxed.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Having just read the warranty book, the paint has a 3 year warranty while the body panels have 12 years. The latter clearly states corrosion from INSIDE the body panel(s).