Door card removal

How????

I'm Trying to remove the front drivers door card in my combi to fit some speakers and new chrome tipped window and wing mirror buttons.

Found one set of instructions saying to remove the window button panel, and remove 4 screws etc.

So far I think I've bust the window panel by snapping all the clips, and it won't go back, and I only have 2 torx screws on the bottom of the door rather than 4 Phillips screws.

So does anyone have a set of instructions so I can remove the door card without any more damage please!

Many thanks

Thanks for the link, however that's the one I followed, and bust all the clips holding the window controls in, and I only have 2 screws round the bottom of the car, cue me being in the dog house with the wife!!

Still not sure if something's changed in the design or what

Hi,

Perhaps this picture of the door (after the door card is off) might help.

The two screws you can't find are Torx TX25 or 30 and are deeply recessed into the door handle - so not easy to see.

In the picture you can see their grey threaded inserts (that they screw into) on either side of the door ECU, about half way down the picture, so you may be able to work out where they are from this.

Note the trim clip that is still in the door at the r/h side.  They are supposed to pop off when you pull on them (they are in two parts), and then release easily. It's a lovely idea - but as they age they stop working and end up getting really, really stiff, or break. Just another hindrance.

BTW, best have a helper when the door card finally comes away, you'll need help to hold the card and simultaneously disconnect all the connectors, there are plenty.

HTH

......For the door switch panel bit, I can't quite understand why it wouldn't go back in, even if the lugs are broken. I wonder if one of the lugs/pins is bent and does not go into it's locating hole???

If one is, it will probably break off as you straighten it. Don't blame yourself if it does, the design isn't very robust.

If the clip(s) are broken, you might try carefully placed lumps Blutac (lots of it) underneath the panel as a temporary securing means. It works surprisingly well. And is cheaply available from Poundland and other quality retailers. :D

And maybe smear some Vaseline (using an ear bud?) on the clips to make them come apart easier next time

gonna have to see if i can get it out properly first, think the window control panel is still attached to the door by a rather think peice of plastic tight against the door card.

i think your probably right abour it not going back in due to a bent clip/lug not going into its hole.

i try not to use too much brute force with them, but i think i need to be a little more forcefull with it.

I would have had another go today, but rain stopped play!

Here's a photo of the rear door handle, the drivers one is very similar.

There are clips (thicker ones) and locating pins all around the edge.

It comes away best if pulled straight up, but is so stiff that that is easier said than done !!!

The two cable underneath have a reasonable amount of slack, just try to be aware of them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorted it!

Looks like I misenterperated the instructions.

I was just try to remove the plastic panel with the switches in, rather than the larger panel that it fits into. The instructions are right, that will take some punishment and come out!

As it is, I have teased the plastic lugs and got the inner panel to fit back in, and kept it there with some plastic glue! Hopefully when that's dried tommorow I can get on with putting my chrome switches in, and seeing what I can do about the stereo!

Thanks and apologies to those who tried to help :)