Octavia Scout TDi (BMM) Momentary Hesitant Acceleration

hi Guys

I hope someone can shed a bit of light on this.

I bought a Scout in June. Its a 2008 TDi with the BMM engine (DPF). Its now done 112,000 miles.

Compared to my previous car, the throttle response on the Scout is very light and almost instant.

Initially, I thought that it was me adjusting to the car, in that when accelerating there could be a momentary hesitation (or dying) of the throttle. When this happens, it is very brief - I mean less than a second.

As I have driven the car for 2000 miles now, I'm thinking that it's not me and that something is causing this to happen.

I cannot make it happen at will and cannot forcast when it will happen next, but get the unnerving feeling that something important is about to go wrong.

I would be grateful if any knowledgeable members could give an insight.

Thanks in advance.

I think its a trait of the Scout because of the DPF - engine management restricting soot generation to protect the DPF.

I had a 110bhp 1.9TDI Mk1 Octavia (pretty much the same PD engine) and the power was instant at any revs - accompanied by black smoke from the exhaust

Scout is slower to pick up almost like turbo lag - bit annoying but you get use to it. DPF removal and remap is reported to over come these issue but its a question of cost v benefit.

Scott

My 2008 Scout doesn't suffer from the same issue.

The only thing I can think of (and something I have noticed on mine) is during fast or sudden acceleration from a standstill.

It is the 4x4 system or Haldex kicking in. As a chunk of power is diverted from the front to the rear wheels it feels like the car is stuttering.

This can happen when in full lock or if the road is damp. This may explain the fact that you've noticed the issue is only present occasionally?

If t is as above then it is quite normal.

When it happens it has been whilst already moving and usually on a fairly light throttle so would kinda dismiss the haldex. It may well be a characteristic of the car and/or something that I still need to understand in the way that the car runs and delivers it's power.

Mine have same issues, usually when coasting to roundabout with second or third gear and then pressing gas pedal. Feels at first that there is no boost at all.

I don't have any similar issues with my 4x4 (BMM engine). Previously I had a 110bhp mkI (which is an injection pump TDI not a PD) and I would say the power delivery is quite different. The PD engines do tend to deliver the torque in one great dirty lump, whereas my old car was a bit more progressive. With jammed vanes on the turbo it had masses of low down torque, but then over boosted and went into into limp mode.

The gearing is also quite different between the two cars.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Don't have any knowledge of earlier TDi engines but the PD BMM engine certainly does push out quite a bit of grunt between 1500-2500rpm. This is where I found I needed to drive with a light throttle to try and smooth out the acceleration. It's during this kind of light throttle acceleration that it has a blip. It's reminiscent of an electrical fault - it's that fast between it happening and recovering. As mentioned though it happens randomly and without any kind of pattern or regularity. I'm even beginning to accept that it's my fault....

Ok thanks trundlenut. Will do, but car not long back from full service at main dealer and they have hopefully checked the car for faults. I have a fault code reader which I think will fit but need to dig it out.

Thanks for the tip on the EGR valve. I'll take a look at what this entails at the weekend and if straight forward will remove and clean. Will also get the fault codes checked. Once done I can rule them out (or sort the car out). Cheers

• 1 year later...

Mine too. The EGR cooler has been replaced as it was very broken, but still the problem continues. I get this at all revs and all speeds, but it's really annoying at low speed when moving off. Car's in at the main dealer tomorrow to see if anything shows up.

Mine too. The EGR cooler has been replaced as it was very broken, but still the problem continues. I get this at all revs and all speeds, but it's really annoying at low speed when moving off. Car's in at the main dealer tomorrow to see if anything shows up.

Let me know how you get on.