Oil sump replacement. Sensor or no sensor hole.

nobkins

The car needs an MOT on 1st of September and on the last service I was advised that the sump plug had been stripped and they had managed to get it to seal but used a sump pump to do the oil change (not ideal).

Replacement sumps seem to be a fair price on eBay (£25 ish). However I can't remember if I need one with or without an oil sensor hole.

It is a 57 plate estate 1.9 TDI Elegance. Would anybody be able to advise if that would have a sensor hole?

Thanks

Jim

Will I need to get a gasket and the gasket sealant at the same time. I was going to let the garage who does the MOT replace it but not sure if I need to supply them with the gasket and gasket sealant as well as the actual sump.

Edited by nobkins

The car needs an MOT on 1st of September and on the last service I was advised that the sump plug had been stripped and they had managed to get it to seal but used a sump pump to do the oil change (not ideal).

Replacement sumps seem to be a fair price on eBay (£25 ish). However I can't remember if I need one with or without an oil sensor hole.

It is a 57 plate estate 1.9 TDI Elegance. Would anybody be able to advise if that would have a sensor hole?

Thanks

Jim

Nothing wrong with using a pump to do the oil changes.  I've used one for the last 8 or so changes on mine, car has now done 135000 miles with no ill effects.

I believe that Mercedes use top-side oil changes quite a lot and it is also the norm for boats.

Vw dealers use a syphen pump to remove oil on changes, not every car but they do use them.

I use them often enough, never had an issue. Just make sure the oils warmed up nice and hot and move the pipe around to make sure it gets as much as it can.

Will I need to get a gasket and the gasket sealant at the same time. I was going to let the garage who does the MOT replace it but not sure if I need to supply them with the gasket and gasket sealant as well as the actual sump.

Could easily find out from your local dealer, and it it does need a gasket your almost certainly going to have to get it from the dealers anyway.

Odds are that any place you pay to fit it would just use the old gasket or there own sealant, nether is really a problem so I would just hand it over, changing it yourself would be easy but a very very messy job