Replace Airbag cover - Would you?

Since buying my a car a few weeks ago the scratches on the steering wheel badge are really bugging me. I thought the only answer was to replace the whole airbag which wouldn't make financial sense but I've since found out that the cover is available as a spare part and at approx £40 it's not too bad.

The problem is it involves taking the airbag out of one cover and fixing into the new one, there are quite a few layers to take off but it does look pretty simple. I'm nervous about doing it myself but am I worrying over nothing?

The process is shown here -

http://cms2.netnews.cz/files/shop-attachments/6495308/5488-Airbag-Cover-Replacement.pdf

There's been a couple of people on here that have put a FL cover in a pre-FL airbag. Or a FL cover (with silver trim) in place of one without.

Might be worth looking those up before you go ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The yellow connector is plugged into the centre of the steering wheel not the back of the airbag. I've since done some research and found out how it unclips so will have another look at the weekend.

Thanks for the advice but I've got a good how-to guide and have got a few tips from others who have done it.

• 3 years later...