strange indicator stalk issue

krisr32

Right I'll start with something random that could be the issue.

My brake light switch failed the other day, so finally got round to sorting it, went to my local parts dealer who didn't have the exact same one in stock, but said to try it. So fitted it and turned off the epc an engine management light and it seems to work fine as no more light on the dash.

But I have noticed that the indicators do not self cancel now, but whats strange, it'll click down left and not self cancel, but it won't click up (right) it'll flash as a lane change signal but not click up and stay up.

Could I of disturbed the stalk when I was removing some of the dash? Or could be a fuse. I'm pretty confused about it to be honest lol.

Any ideas are welcome

Right I'll start with something random that could be the issue.

My brake light switch failed the other day, so finally got round to sorting it, went to my local parts dealer who didn't have the exact same one in stock, but said to try it. So fitted it and turned off the epc an engine management light and it seems to work fine as no more light on the dash.

But I have noticed that the indicators do not self cancel now, but whats strange, it'll click down left and not self cancel, but it won't click up (right) it'll flash as a lane change signal but not click up and stay up.

Could I of disturbed the stalk when I was removing some of the dash? Or could be a fuse. I'm pretty confused about it to be honest lol.

Any ideas are welcome

f

Probably disturbed it, mine snapped off when I head butted it after coming up from under the dash

• Like 1

Bizarre but true, just had my brake switch fail - replaced by garage and now my front windscreen wipers don't operate.. Only rear wiper seems to run. Looks like someone might of disturbed something in the steering column or mashed the wiper stalk..

Well new wiper stalk and now everything's ok. Pretty sure the garage caused the wiper stalk failure when they pulled the column out to get to a torx bolt. Of course it's my view versus their view, and my car is 10 years old..

Crumbs, lucky me, VW forgot to fit lower trim to Polos when wife's car was built, just a case of:- open door > slide seat fully back > head and shoulders into car (including one arm!) > rotate switch and remove > disconnect plug > fit plug to new switch > fit switch with pedal in rest position > remove all body parts > seat back to correct position > check switch (brake lights) operation = job done!