Rear end shunt options

Long story short I've been told that my car is a cat c write off. I've been offered a fair price (not told them that!) for disposal and a price to keep the car but will be a cat c, so VIC required etc. 

What I'm deciding is:

1. Squeeze a bit more out of them and take the cash, put towards a mk2, or mk1 again?

2. Squeeze a bit more try and do cash in lieu so it doesn't get categorised, repair car and put remainder of money towards mods?

3. Get car back brake it, and buy something else, potentially a 350 bhp b5 avant??

4. Take money dispose of car and stick some Skoda badges on my ka so I can still use Briskoda and feel welcomed?? 

I really loved driving my car so I would like to try and do number 2 and had always planned on modding it but never had the money. Now I may have some extra money once all the work is done to go on mods that I've been trying to save up for a year to do.

Damage is as follows:

Rear tailgate (I have a spare, just needs spray and fitting and spoiler putting on)

Rear bumper spray and fit (can't find black estate one anywhere, hence spray!)

Crash bar

Pull bottom boot floor out

New exhaust (Get stainless that I've always wanted)

So what do you guys think? I have love involved and may not be seeing sense!? Also someone may be looking to sell (needs to be interesting) which I could purchase?

Let me know guys

I miss my car :'(  :'(

Thanks

Buy the car back, wait a few weeks then get a hpi check done,as if a claim arises again in the future your cars not worth it's full value, i bought mines back after a van went into the side of it, i then put the money from the car back into the car

Either that or repair the car and sell it on for some more profit

from past experience, no matter how good a job is done, if you take the car back, it will NEVER feel the same, or make you as happy driving it as before the accident.

and as above, if the boot floor is gone in, then alot of the strength has been taken out of it, and if *touch wood* you had another ar5e end impact, it will do a lot more damage, potentially to anyone in the car too... do you want that? i wouldnt...

• Like 2

The damage on the boot floor is so that the tailgate has to be opened with force and closed with force. That's why it needs pulling. Otherwise it wouldn't really need pulling. Understand all the comments above but I'm hardly going to be able to get anything 'fun' for around the 1900 mark which is the offer to dispose of the car. That's why I'm leaning towards trying to get it back??

I think I would be happy if the car was repaired and put back on the road, but Mac you make a valid point about the strength and potential value of the car. Not that I would look at selling it but just don't know I like the thought of it being a cat c if I did need to sell.

Understand all the comments above but I'm hardly going to be able to get anything 'fun' for around the 1900 mark which is the offer to dispose of the car. That's why I'm leaning towards trying to get it .

Depends what your needs are in a car, but IMHO there are loads of cars for £1900 or less that are plenty of fun. Loads and loads.

Hard to know if that's a fair offer or not without mileage and pre crash condition but gotta be worth thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kiscix

Inspection says pre crash condition above average and mileage was 105k

What's your thoughts then kiscix on what's about for 1900? I'd like something sleeper. Got any ideas you can through at me?

Loads around for under 2k but depends what you want,

2dr,3dr,5dr, estate, fwd,rwd.4wd.

Give us a clue.

Well loved the vrs estate and it being a mk1 kept the classic side of it. Not sure I would have vrs (octy) mk1 or 2 in hatch as people expect them to go fast! So more family look but with a slutty side to it

For instance I'd go for an s4 avant over an s4 saloon.

Fwd, rwd awd doesn't matter as long as it can be modded.

Ideas??

Let's hear your ideas then!?? Requirements above ^^^

Well you still haven't said much but how about these 2 for starters.

BMW 530d Touring.

Audi Allroad 2.5 TDi

Well you still haven't said much but how about these 2 for starters.

BMW 530d Touring.

Audi Allroad 2.5 TDi

Not much to it really, needs to have a practical side to it so no 2seaters etc, not really in to boy racer type cars as I don't think I suit them. Used on a daily basis. Needs to have a good base to it, band potential for engine mods to create a sleeper.

Both suggestions are good but 5series a tad on big side and not got any knowledge on the Audi allroad? But without these cars being high mileages you think they go for under 2k?

Not much to it really, needs to have a practical side to it so no 2seaters etc, not really in to boy racer type cars as I don't think I suit them. Used on a daily basis. Needs to have a good base to it, band potential for engine mods to create a sleeper.

Both suggestions are good but 5series a tad on big side and not got any knowledge on the Audi allroad? But without these cars being high mileages you think they go for under 2k?

I personally wouldn't worry about high mileage but that's just me.

At the moment there are plenty of nice cars around some nice Alfa's as well.

i recently had a rear shunt in my passat tdi auto estate - just a bumper and light needed doing - car is a cat c due to the value of the damage and i got a similar amount to what your getting on the octy.  If its a tdi, tell them its a low mileage example, and you cant find anything around this price for this car.  If it has FSH it helps too - even if you make up recipts. (I had recipts for euro car parts for oil changes etc and they accepted this - making up recipts would have been easier though)

What colour is the car?  Anything special on it?  What engine is it?  I dont know how well these cars break, but if you have the space, and you can break bit by bit (and will make more then the salvage value) then buy it back.  Otherwise get some pics up and offer it so someone on here if it helps them out. (Thats what i would do anyway)

Kaz