centre silence removal back pressure

would removing the centre silencer people go on about back pressure ect would this cause problems to the engine? im just thinking if you can buy milltek cat backs or straight through pipes surely it doesn't have a effect on engine components not sure anyone shed any light?

Back pressure variation used to be a fairly significant issue in the days of carburettors. To get the full advantage a full rolling road session was needed and jets/venturis/needles would need changing along with both the static and dynamic advance on the distributor.  These days with the range of sensors on the engine and the adaptive nature of the ECU you'll generally only see benefits from a free flowing exhaust. To gain the ultimate performance a remap will be needed but the difference is much smaller and in many cases the backside dyno won't notice.

I think this back pressure change would only be significant if you went for a full decat. The cat being where most of the back pressure would come from.

As said above, older cars with carbs or 2 stokes are much much more sensitive to changes in back pressure.

The removal of the resonator is going to reduce pressure by a max of a psi or so at the turbo. If this causes oil seals to give up they would be a worry on stock setup. But not that you can tell anyway.

If your car does use oil - and be true to yourself, don't do it. Purely for the sake of it possibly amplifying the problem of oil use.

If it doesn't, go for it. Maybe do what I did so you can put it back to standard when you need?

If your car does use oil - and be true to yourself, don't do it. Purely for the sake of it possibly amplifying the problem of it.

My car uses oil, the amount used hasn't changed after the resonator delete. And it's been over 6 months since I got it done.

• Like 1

I never said I would use more oil. Just to consider the risk your willing to take. As I say it shouldn't be a problem. Iv also had mine for 6 months or so and all is well

Oh I know you didn't say that. i was just purely giving my experience about it.

But I agree with everything else, any change you make to an engine needs to be thought out and the risks wieghed up.

On turbo cars back pressure being needed is a myth!

Your turbo needs less restrictions to work more efficiently.

The turbo itself causes back pressure more than any cat, back box, or silencer could!

• Like 1

On turbo cars back pressure being needed is a myth!

Your turbo needs less restrictions to work more efficiently.

The turbo itself causes back pressure more than any cat, back box, or silencer could!

+1 on this, only turbo cars i can think off that need a little bit of back pressure are celica gt4s and supras...otherwise they start to get boost creep (where the boost keeps increasing even once the wastegate has opened

And have you got any mods on car or you leaving it standered in case of warranty work

My car has a few tweaks :-) she is running a TMC box and an ITG induction kit, so circa 210bhp. Oil usage has been consistent and has never put me off tweaking it. My car is no longer under warranty and I don't worry about it. I have a different opinion about oil usage to most on this forum. Granted there are some bad engines out there, but light to medium oil use isn't an issue IMO.

• Like 3