Looking to buy and could with some help

Hi

So a couple of weeks ago I was driving in the Netherlands and someone went into the back of my car hard while I was stopped at a red light.

The car a Mk1 Octavia Vrs (modified, remap etc) is going to be written off :( . So I am looking for a new car and thinking of going for comfort now and a superb ticks that bill tho I am worried its going to feel slow!

I want top spec so that means on elegances and I want to give DSG a go too as I think it suits the car (tho I haven't driven one yet).

My commute is 10 miles each way in London, so stop-start etc with the odd long run at weekends. Is DPF much of an issue with the CR 170 around town?

The other option is the 1.8T but they are so much rarer. I have seen a 2009 with 76K miles (more than I would like but I assume they are good for it?) 

Two question, Is mileage much of an issue with the 1.8T? What are the DSG gearboxes like with the miles as I would look to keep the car for 5 to 7 years.

Do I need to look out for cambelts changes on this engine or the CR 170 or are they chains?

Thanks

Edited by ezeekiel

I have the 2.0 tsi petrol and it is surprisingly quick for such a large car. I was thinking about the 3.6 V6 but was finally put off by the fuel consumption. The performance of the 2.0 isn't too far behind the V6 so I don't feel so bad. Off the line it's quick and there is no shortage of uphill pulling power. It also has the 6 speed DSG which seems to get continuously good comments. I know these are rarer than than the 1.8 but worth spending a bit of time in sourcing one for a test drive.

CR170 is a belt, intervals are 210,000 km. The 1.8 is a chain I think. 10 miles of stop-start commuting daily would put the diesel right off the list in my opinion unless you're planning to remove the DPF. Provided it's been serviced well I wouldn't worry about mileage on either of these engines. DSG is expensive if it does go wrong, but they're pretty reliable. With lots of stop-start driving it'll be a lot more pleasant than a manual anyway.

My commute is 10 miles each way in London, so stop-start etc with the odd long run at weekends. Is DPF much of an issue with the CR 170 around town?

The other option is the 1.8T but they are so much rarer. I have seen a 2009 with 76K miles (more than I would like but I assume they are good for it?) 

Two question, Is mileage much of an issue with the 1.8T? What are the DSG gearboxes like with the miles as I would look to keep the car for 5 to 7 years.

Do I need to look out for cambelts changes on this engine or the CR 170 or are they chains?

Personally I wouldn’t dream of a diesel for that sort of mileage, the car will barely be warm by the time you get there and DPF regions will become a reality.

The petrol will warm up much quicker so the difference in mpg will be marginal on your short journeys, 

DSG box’s... not all are equal or good, so make sure you give it a good test drive (get it really warm)

Cam belts are also every 4 years, so make sure it has been changed if you end up with a 170, btw they are not slow.

How about speaking to  member Bossfox & see if he is looking to sell his Nissan Leaf ( he uses to commute in Outer London Traffic) ;)   :D

He has what would be classed as a prolific turnover of cars & usually not that old when he comes to sell.    :D

As mentioned above, don't get a modern Diesel with DPF, for those short journeys.

I traded a 3 Yr old MK2 FL Octy vRS Diesel that was getting around 8K miles a year on it, while i had no dpf regen issues as it was only ever used @ weekend for journeys in excess of 20 miles ( mainly motorway) it was actually not a wise buy financially.

I have a FL Yeti 1.8 Petrol, it still has the power of the old vRS, half the mpg ( nearly) but for the miles & short journeys it does makes more financial sense.

• 2 weeks later...

10 miles in stop-start London traffic?  What you want is a bicycle not a car!  Save the driving for those longer weekend journeys.

I've got a bike, which I do use sometimes but its no fun in the winter! 

Still keeping my eye out but there are no petrols under 12k ( I only want elegance and DSG) unless you want the 3.6, which would be murder on fuel and tax. The issue is petrol and dsg is a tiny % of what they sold new :( so not much out there.

I guess if I get the diesel I could be lucky or not. I could make an effort to take it out at the weekends to make sure it has time to get a regen in.

There is no specific regen needed if the car gets regular long drives at high speed as the exhaust temperature will get high enough to burn the carbon off the DPF in normal operation. I've never noticed my car go into regen mode at all, but it gets plenty of 100+ km/h driving and almost no stop-start traffic use, so there is almost no penalty to having a DPF at all if it gets this sort of use.

Psycholist, The issue for me is that I only commute 10 miles each way to work in outer London so can be stop-start. I guess at least once a month minimum It would get a long run on the motorway.

I was thinking about getting VCDS. I assume that would let you keep an eye on the DPF and if it needs it in the evening take it out for a long run every now and then.

I can see why people get them taken out if they fail and hope they can deal with MOT issues.

I thought the DPF should regen if it needs it even in slow stop-start traffic - however it will burn more fuel whilst doing this. I guess the problem is if you always finish your journey before the regen has finished then you're supposed to take it out for a longer "manual regen".

My Mk2 Superb was fine on my daily commute of only 6miles each way :-)

Though during weekends there is at least one trip driving over 50mph.

My car was about 90k DSG diesel elegance - DSG was smooth not a problem at all.

Had both the cambelt + water pump + DSG oil changed just before 90k by Skoda.

Even paid for Skoda warranty (all Skoda did was a inspection and the car was qualified).

Also paid for 2 years fixed servicing.

Superb s are a different beast to the Octavia - u will love the comfort and your rear passengers will love the Tardis interior :-)

Good luck with your search!

your rear passengers will love the Tardis interior :-)

heh - we randomly popped into the Bentley dealer for a play and my 10yr old complained that most of the models only had "a little" space in the back. He settled on the Flying Spur which had sufficient (but not ample) leg room in the back.....

• Like 1

I only realised how much space is in there compared to other cars when I tried to put one small bike in the boot of a Yeti last night - it was a tight fit with the seats down and a wheel off. I can throw the same bike into the boot of the Superb with both wheels on and about a foot of free space between it and the front seats... I've got used to being able to put a cool box in the rear footwell with the seat folded down too - not a threat of that fitting in the Yeti, it was a tight squeeze in the Octavia I had before that come to think of it...