Does this look normal or the cause of what sounds like air leaking when accelerating

steveo1

Hi,

Recently I have noticed, what sounds like air releasing or leaking, whenever I start the car up and rev a little or whenever I accelerate hard say on the motorway.   I'm pretty sure its coming from around the front drivers side area but cant seem to work out where exactly.   You can't hear it when the car is idling but when I rev there's a definite 'woosh' like noise.   I decided to have a look, at where I think the noise is coming from and I'm assuming it must be the pipes from to or from the turbo through the intercooler?    I took some pictures and noticed oil on one particular pipe.   See photos attached.   Is this the 'lower 90 degree bend' coming from the intercooler??   Could this be the leaking area??  Any help would be appreciated.

ThanksPic1_zps30276480.jpgPic2_zps9243c69a.jpgPic4_zps839a3a02.jpgPic6_zpsb4e8d953.jpgPic8_zps059aa26e.jpgPic9_zps599b35da.jpg

Took these photos from behind the tyre and angled the camera to try and get some decent shots.

Thank you steveopc.

So it's def a boost leak then, I take it the oil is coming out from the top of that 90 degree bend then? I can't quite see where the other end of that pipe goes without taking the bumper off or under-tray off.   I will def get this connection you have shown in the link but I'm wondering because they have those couplers attached are they a direct fit or how do they actually attach?

Another question, would you have any links for the top pipes coming from the egr valve down to the intercooler with these couplers (if they are a direct fit)?   I know they can be made up from buying the parts separately and cutting and clamping them together to fit but can you buy the set pre-made?? I'm pretty hands-on but I know my limits when it comes to upgrading parts on an engine.

Thanks again

Just so you know before you order it mate, the item linked is for a Vw Bora, has a slightly different setup.

You need a 90° silicone pipe, not a "S" shape pipe.

Anyone got a link to the right part, I can't seem to find it.

• Like 1

Yeah hutchysrs50, did abit of homework and I agree I don't think that part in the ebay link is correct for the Fabia's - like you said more for the VW's setup. (unless steveopc can shed some light on this encase we are getting parts mixed up?!?!)   I have basically bought the part listed in that ebay link but I have had emails back and forth from them asking for the make, model, reg etc of my car - so even they are scratching their heads which doesn't fill me with confidence. I will probably hear back from them tomorrow @ some stage. 

Basically the 2 highlighted areas, in the pic below, show the parts I require:

Pipework_zps14b610da.jpg

Has anyone replaced these 2 parts and have any links to them perhaps?   Would be a great help.

Thanks,

Just found a couple of actual pix of what I'm after (the connections/couplers have been covered with heat shrink tubing - good idea there...):

Pipework1_zps5172e12e.jpg

Pipework2_zps5d4ecb46.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Ok, just reading through this post again and I'm guessing that the 1st link here (showing 4 bends) I would need the 2 out of it, that I have highlight up above.

Next step, I will contact these guys and see if they sell just the 2 that I need and clearly get a price.... (yikes)

Part 4 is not what the pipe looks like on a fabia mate. Here is a picture of the replacement pipe forge do for that section. I use one and it fits very well

thumbnail_zps1iztfkyc.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Thanks for clarifying that AshVrs, been trying to piece together every part needed for replacing the hoses.

Tell me this, would yous recommend changing the original worn hose/connectors with new 'original' hose/connectors from Skoda rather than the silicone ones with couplers?   I phoned up a local company (who specialize in performance tuning, turbos, intercoolers, piping etc) inquiring to see if they had the parts I need and the actually recommended I use original parts and that Silicone ones may look good and be clamped on, are no substitute for the originals which are more than capable of doing the job.

I suppose I'm curious to know do most people change their boost pipes/hoses because they have noticed a lose in power and maybe noticed oil around the seals and think I'll upgrade here, or, because they have modified their engine and these hoses cope better under higher pressures, or, simply its an easy upgrade and looks neat?

I'm in 2 minds now (based on my original post) to replace the original pipes with new original pipes or try and find the silicone pipes required and use them....

1st things 1st I may get the car checked to ensure it is actually a boost leak coming from my pipes (shown in my photos in Post 1.)