Replacing bulbs in headlamp assembly - how to access covers at rear

Willum

My car is a 2007 57-reg hatch, level 3 spec, so it's got the projector headlamps requiring H7 bulbs rather than the standard H4 halogen.

One of the front sidelights has blown, and thus, as I'm expecting this to be a bit of a performance, I've bought a pair of Philips Extreme Vision H7s as well as a pair of front W7W bulbs to replace the lot up front, in the hope this doesn't all have to be repeated again for a number of years.

This is the first time I have observed a bulb failure in the front clusters since buying the car almost 5 years ago, so I guess that's pretty good going!

The manual isn't particularly helpful in the procedure. It tells you how to actually remove / replace the bulb from the assembly, but makes no mention whatsoever of how you achieve access in the first place.

Having got the more capable eyes of my father involved, we are not certain whether the front bumber needs to come off, disconnect and remove the battery (as that's in the way on one side) and the fuel filter from the driver's side. All of these things are seriously inhibiting access to the headlight units themselves.

I've been reading the forums and others seem to report with their MkII Fabias that it's a quick and easy operation. I simply cannot reconcile that with the obstructions we're encountering here! :)

The engine is the 1.9 TDI PD, so the larger engine block may account for the lack of space. The other topics I've seen on the subject have been with smaller-engined Fabias.

Surely this could have been designed better for the sake of easier maintenance?

Edited by Willum

Hi, I had a thread on this running just a few days ago.

there is a small black rubber cap under the bonnet, behind each light unit. Not the larger ones as that will be the main bulbs but a smaller sized one under the direction signal bulb holder.

It can be difficult to actually pull the bulb holder as its set quite a way in to a smallish recess. Hence in my thread, I mentioned a set of picks that I purchased of which, one was absolutely ideal to "Snag" the bulb holder and pull it.

Have a look at my thread, sidelight bulb removal. It also gives a listing of an ebay seller, depicting similar picks to the ones I have, for about £2.

Edited by mrgf

I`ve noticed 2 removable caps inside the wheel arches on my 1.6 tdi. It still looks like you would need skinny hands to get in though. From above on the 1.6tdi acces is also very restricted by the fuel filter.

Edited by bobjob49

If you'r lights look like this...

jdLcFxd.jpg

then the side light is accessed via the large rubber cover (along with both H7 bulbs) it's between the main and dipped bulbs. The smaller cover is for the indicator bulb.

Edited by Simoneale1973

Whoever designed the headlight bulb replacement on the Fabia should be shot. First off, all VAG halogen headlight bulbs are shockingly poor. I've replaced them with Phillips VisionPlus and GE 120 bulbs with limited success over the years. Fitted Bosch Megalights 120 (H7) on dipped bulbs (projector lens) tonight in the hope it improves the situation.

Unless you have freakishly small hands, this is a knuckle scraping exercise. Passenger side is okay, but driver's side is ball-ache. The diesel fuel filter is hard up against the headlight, so persevere. They undo with a small anti-clockwise rotation. Then some dafty at Skoda thought it would be a good idea to clamp the bulb to some sort of electrical junction. Really? Normally, it's a spring clip.

Good luck if you tackle this job.

Whoever designed the headlight bulb replacement on the Fabia should be shot. First off, all VAG halogen headlight bulbs are shockingly poor. I've replaced them with Phillips VisionPlus and GE 120 bulbs with limited success over the years. Fitted Bosch Megalights 120 (H7) on dipped bulbs (projector lens) tonight in the hope it improves the situation.

Unless you have freakishly small hands, this is a knuckle scraping exercise. Passenger side is okay, but driver's side is ball-ache. The diesel fuel filter is hard up against the headlight, so persevere. They undo with a small anti-clockwise rotation. Then some dafty at Skoda thought it would be a good idea to clamp the bulb to some sort of electrical junction. Really? Normally, it's a spring clip.

Good luck if you tackle this job.

Its really not that bad. You're making it sound like a big job lol.

I find it really easy tbh.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Its really not that bad. You're making it sound like a big job lol.

I find it really easy tbh.

am i right in thinking that the fuel filter holder needs to be removed, in order to access the dip bulb on the driver's side?

am i right in thinking that the fuel filter holder needs to be removed, in order to access the dip bulb on the driver's side?

I think the fuel filter on the diesels is there, making it abit trickier.

My HTP has miles of room (as youd expect really)

So its abit engine specific i guess