GFB BOV Adapter

Hi All, 

Just came a cross this 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271626207749?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

It looks like a trick bit of kit for the money - all go but now show for a change. 

Theres a video on the GFB site which explains how it works but i was wondering if anyone has had any first had experience with these?

looks like a good bit of kit.... and AMD are a cool respected tuning company..

for me though, this would be a replacement item when the OE item fails (or is found to bewanting on a big power tune ect) a better engineered peice that would last longer, and handle tuning better

I doubt it would make much difference (if any) on a standard car with few miles on it, it would give piece of mind and longivity I suppose :)

I just thought it might work well with a tuning box as the boost levels are raised up?

Scroll to the bottom of the linked page for the video.

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9355-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-740-by-gfb

I guess it's basically just replacing the stock diverter valve piston. Sort of a half way house between the stock DV valve and the full Forge one.

Once you start running higher boost I would highly recommend this mod.

After getting an APR stage 1 tune my car on the race track would get a overboost fault at 160km/h (100mph) when changing from 4th to 5th gears at about 7000rpm with the standard diverter valve which put the car into limp mode. To avoid this I would have to short shift at about 6800rpm which was costing me a higher top speed on the longer straights. However once I fitted the GFB DV+ the overboost problem was gone completely. For the cost and the time it takes to install (with the right tools) you can't go wrong.

Best part is it uses the factory solenoid valve still so no fault codes or tricking the ECU. Over 1000 2.0TSI versions sold worldwide so the tech has already been proven.

Edited by mmmRacer
  • Like 2

Once you start running higher boost I would highly recommend this mod.

After getting an APR stage 1 tune my car on the race track would get a overboost fault at 160km/h (100mph) when changing from 4th to 5th gears at about 7000rpm with the standard diverter valve which put the car into limp mode. To avoid this I would have to short shift at about 6800rpm which was costing me a higher top speed on the longer straights. However once I fitted the GFB DV+ the overboost problem was gone completely. For the cost and the time it takes to install (with the right tools) you can't go wrong.

Best part is it uses the factory solenoid valve still so no fault codes or tricking the ECU. Over 1000 2.0TSI versions sold worldwide so the tech has already been proven.

Thanks for sharing your views on it. 

Thats the best part for me too, the fact it uses the factory solenoid. 

Im not running Stage 1 as you are but iv got a tuning box fitted which ups the boost levels so im hoping the GFB DV will help in containing that extra charge. Iv been reading the reviews on these valves for a few days now but you running one has sold it for me. Should have one delivered on Friday this week! :) 

Have you noticed any change in noise since you fitted the GFB valve?

• Like 1

Noise difference is minimal. You get more noise by changing to the cold air intake then just fitting a DV+. You will hear the valve but mainly only when cruising around from inside the car. Outside???

Thats good then - dont want more noise. The Stock CAI does its job more then well enough for me. It rains too much in this country to be faffing around with repositioning the air duct to the filter - it would make me nervous thinking about it sucking water up. Plus IMO the difference in performance between stock and say the IGT CAI is down to the filter element and not the pipe work or air box.  

Is it a spacer that goes in the middle? I had a bov on for more noise I know it was gay so took it off. But it's a pain to get it in and take it out again.

Have a look at the vid at the bottom of the page in the link http://www.gfb.com.a...ions-740-by-gfb

Its similar to the forge BOV but the GFB doesnt vent to atmosphere, it still recircs the charge air. the GFB basically is an upgrade to the piston n the oem BOV. 

I notice it claims 'sharper throttle response '

As do aftermarket air filters

I've always wondered if it cures the hesitancy when exiting junctions (when setting off)

Anyone know?

Probably not, as it's a DSG thing. If it wasn't it would also be cured by induction upgrades but it isn't...  To be honest I drive so much in manual that I had almost forgotten about this.

Re BOVs, my tuner has developed his own adjustable BOV of both "open" and "closed" type, I am still trying to understand in what way it would help the car and if it's not just something to upgrade when/if the stock one breaks...

Edited by newbie69

Probably not, as it's a DSG thing. If it wasn't it would also be cured by induction upgrades but it isn't... To be honest I drive so much in manual that I had almost forgotten about this.

Re BOVs, my tuner has developed his own adjustable BOV of both "open" and "closed" type, I am still trying to understand in what way it would help the car and if it's not just something to upgrade when/if the stock one breaks...

Is the hesitancy cured in manual then?

Never really use it for setting off,mainly for back road fun

Might test it out in the morning. :)

Fitted the gfb valve tonight. First impressions are good. Although it is wet so haven't really been able to give it the bean's.I did notice that on and off throttle hadn't changed but part throttle to foot down response was sharper.

I also no longer hear a 'tsshh'noise from the bov anymore? Tis a nifty bit kit thought.

20141126_183500_zps8lkcfr7w.jpg

• Like 2

Fitted the gfb valve tonight. First impressions are good. Although it is wet so haven't really been able to give it the bean's.I did notice that on and off throttle hadn't changed but part throttle to foot down response was sharper.

I would agree. Mid throttle response is better.

Edited by mmmRacer

any other infos about that . i currently got the Forge diverter on mine but iam not satisfied with it .

The forge valve is just for noise. It actually means that measured air is being lost. Effectively making it a boost leak. With the forge adapter, rather than recirculating the dumped air (post turbo) back into the intake, as the oem valve does, it just lets it out into the engine bay. The gfb dv is a supposed upgrade/replacement to the oem recirculating solenoid valve allowing only the required amount of boost to be vented back into the intake when off throttle. Which is unlike the oem valve as this is left dumping air until you go back on the throttle.

The forge valve therefore is not really something to compare with the gfb valve.

I suppose if there was room to fit them both the forge and the gfb it would still make the noise as stock but stops the noise more often with the gfb fitted. Ie it shouldn't be dumping boost and peeing you off when cruzing at 70mph up a hill! That's what the vnt turbo is there for!

• 1 month later...

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews on this one on FB from owners that have had issues formerly with Forge etc. and I think I'm going for it as well.

One question: Did you buy yours directly from GFB Australia? It seems most european GFB stockists don't have it at the moment. There's some terrible shipping costs (1/3 the product's price) that I'd like to avoid if possible.

There has been a few cases with products being shipped from Australia through DHL and getting f*@#(d at customs so I am not ordering anything from there I'm afraid.

I found one from AMDEssex but says it only ships to UK, maybe worth dropping an email asking of they can arrange something.