BLT Stutter

After a while the pipe from the manifold will spilt due to the heat that can't pass though the egr valve. The egr delete is a DIY job

At the risk of getting labelled a jobsworth, on the BLT engine, you need the EGR to pass the MOT. If you remove it, then technically you are disabling part of the emissions controls and that cocks up the EU4 certification. The MOT tester is supposed to check that all the emissions kit is there, but it's obvious that they are not checking, given how many cars are running the EGR deletes and even catalytic converter deletes.

I've said this before, but I'll keep saying it until someone persuades me it's wrong.

If you want to stop the flow of exhaust gases into the intake, all you need to do is pull the vac pipe off the top of the EGR, the one that goes onto the metal housing. You should plug this hose so you don't cause a vacuum leak that'll affect other systems.

From having taken one of these valves off a friend's car, and attempted to open the exhaust-admitting valve by hand for cleaning, there is no way, IMHO, that without vacuum assistance that valve is ever going to open at all and let any exhaust gases in (Edit; if you think about it, it absolutely mustn't open without pull from the vacuum diaphragm, as otherwise it wouldn't be fully controlled in operation). There is a strong spring holding it closed, hence the relatively large vacuum diaphragm used to open it. One proviso would be that the valve and valve seat are clean and undamaged, and therefore not 'wedged' open by soot, but this isn't hard to check/accomplish.

Fault light is another issue, of course.

This was known as the golf tee mod, because that's what you blocked the vacuum pipe up with. It works. Sort of. Until the golf tee falls out and you lose vacuum.

This is kind of what I was alluding to when I was saying that the best thing to do is just keep the EGR valve in place with the modified gasket/plate so it all works and it doesn't stutter.

The EGR does fur up, but so what? Clean it if it offends you. As has already been claimed, removing it doesn't improve performance (although Darkside's website says it does) and it improves the emissions of the engine so why not just leave it in place?

I can't help but think it's a bit of a fad thing. Like the Ibiza PD160 air intake mod everyone did years ago. It made beggar-all difference, but it was off the PD160 so it must be better, mustn't it?

• Like 1

This was known as the golf tee mod, because that's what you blocked the vacuum pipe up with. It works. Sort of. Until the golf tee falls out and you lose vacuum.

This is kind of what I was alluding to when I was saying that the best thing to do is just keep the EGR valve in place with the modified gasket/plate so it all works and it doesn't stutter.

The EGR does fur up, but so what? Clean it if it offends you. As has already been claimed, removing it doesn't improve performance (although Darkside's website says it does) and it improves the emissions of the engine so why not just leave it in place?

I can't help but think it's a bit of a fad thing. Like the Ibiza PD160 air intake mod everyone did years ago. It made beggar-all difference, but it was off the PD160 so it must be better, mustn't it?

Ah, I hadn't heard of that description, though golf tees are handy for that sort of thing. Golf tee plus gaffa tape for the win then.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend deletion or disabling of the system but... 

I find it bemusing that so many people spend their hard-earned on 'not' having something, when a golf tee, for example, will do the trick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...