Dipped beam problem?

Helston Hauler

A strange thing happened today while driving to work down the M6 ,I was travelling at about 65 and the lights were on dipped beam,about six times they dropped down and swivelled in and out ,then came back up to 'normal' level. This only started today,can any one help on this please.

I take it you must have Xenon lights.
MY first thing to do would be to check the connections at the rear of the lamps.
What spec and age is the car?

From the description, it sounds as though the lights are going through their "start-up" test sequence, so it's unlikely to be anything to do with an individual light unit. More likely to be the car's main control unit - wherever that is!

From the description, it sounds as though the lights are going through their "start-up" test sequence, so it's unlikely to be anything to do with an individual light unit. More likely to be the car's main control unit - wherever that is!

Could that 'sequence' be initiated by a temporary voltage drop?

Is there an intermittent high load such as air con cycling with heated glass?

Just things to ponder.

I've spent a while looking through various comments on this site and one came up with a link which included a section on AFS Adaptive Frontlight System which seems to do what I have experienced,so how do I check that is switched on and how to switch it off,what buttons and what order to press them,

Don't think you can switch it off, but you can change its operation by a setting in the Maxidot for using the car abroad.

Also does it stop doing it if you take the lights out of auto?

From the latest Manual
Tourist lights (Travel mode)
This mode makes it possible to drive in countries with opposing traffic system
(driving on the left/right) without dazzling the oncoming vehicles.
When this mode is active, the above-mentioned modes and the side swivel of
the headlights is deactivated.
This mode can be enabled or disabled via the MAXI DOT display in the Travel
mode

The light switch was not in auto,turned to the far right position .I'l see what the Skoda garage come up with.I have tried pushing all the fuses and relays by the battery and checked all connectors at the back of the lights as well.Hope it gets sorted soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked all of the fuses and relays,there was some very slight 'loosness' on some of the fuses,just made sure they were pushed down as far as they would go,not forced. I have used the car for 4 days going to work in the dark and have had no more issues,so hopefully that was all it was.Many thanks for all the replies.