Matterhorn alternative? Audi/VW

TD5

Anyone fancy swapping their 17" Matterhorns for 16" Moon's?  It's a no brainer of a deal. Come on folks...

Anyone fancy swapping their 17" Matterhorns for 16" Moon's?  It's a no brainer of a deal. Come on folks...

I might be interested in swapping 17" Annapurnas for Moons,  but not Matterhorns (YUK!).  It all depends on the ride quality on my new Yeti when he arrives..... no option for 16" wheels so have had to accept the Annapurnas.  If the ride quality is markedly worse than my present Greenline on 16" Moons or Spectrums I'll be looking to swap.  Won't know 'til May.

• Like 1

ET 45 is the wheel offset.

The central hole is 57 mm I think.

It's mentioned at the bottom of the Guide Graham linked to.

Hub should be 57,0mm and central hole slightly more, 57,1mm or so.

ET 45 is the wheel offset.

The central hole is 57 mm I think.

It's mentioned at the bottom of the Guide Graham linked to.

Bore is 57.1mm as somewhat of a VAG standard.

You're also obviously looking at wheels with a PCD of 5x112 too - that's worth mentioning. PCD = pitch circle diameter. So the number of stud holes, and the distance between them.

• Like 2

There are mixed reviews of moving to 17" wheels. Most say the 16" gives the nicest, softest ride but not as well pointed in the corners..

There are mixed reviews of moving to 17" wheels. Most say the 16" gives the nicest, softest ride but not as well pointed in the corners..

I'd like a set of 16s with A/T tyres for the rough stuff but the speed/load rating would probably make it an insurance no no.

• Like 1

I'd like a set of 16s with A/T tyres for the rough stuff but the speed/load rating would probably make it an insurance no no.

For me, the 16" Yokohama AT/S works great. They are 215/60-16. Speed limit and load rating are both legal. Next time I will probably go for Yokohama AT/S in 215/65-16.

It'd be interesting to know what 16" tyre would make the speedo more accurate.

Did some tests a while back. While maxidot showing 95 km/h, external GPS showed 90. Also found that overreading was more like 4 km/h in speeds 30-50 km/h.

Maybe 215/65-16 would end up quite acurate?

• Like 1

Did some tests a while back. While maxidot showing 95 km/h, external GPS showed 90. Also found that overreading was more like 4 km/h in speeds 30-50 km/h.

Maybe 215/65-16 would end up quite acurate?

That's what I'm thinking - also the sidewalls of the low aspect 'performance' tyres are extremely vulnerable to our flinty rocks and stones.

TBH's Pug is out by 4 at 100kph but the odo seems pretty accurate.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/Wheels/HAWK-17-set-of-4-rims-original-Skoda-autoas

Have a look at the skoda hawk alloy wheel. They are approx. £500 delivered from Superskoda with free new style centrecaps. Not sure if their 20% off deal has ended or not at the minute but it comes around regularly so you'd be looking at about £400 for the four. I think their Offset of et49 will be fine too but check with someone first.

• Like 1

Taken from some Llanigraham posted on another forum...

"The off-set is the distance from the centrral line of the wheel to the face of the centre plate, so a Yeti is 45mm and those Octi wheels 49mm, therefore the back of the wheel will be 4mm nearer the front strut"

"Standard 17" Yeti fitment is 7J x17 ET45, whereas the ones you quote are ET49 offset. 

I don't think they will fit as the offset is too great. 
It would put the tyres much too close to the front suspension leg."

Sad times :( 

They are very nice wheels. 

I'm pretty sure they will be fine, from how I understand it they would only be 2mm further into the arches which I can't see being a problem (I couldn't see 4 mm being a problem either). You also have the option of using wheel spacers too. Like I said, if you like the wheels & the price is ok for you have a word with someone who can give a definitive answer. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure they will be fine, from how I understand it they would only be 2mm further into the arches which I can't see being a problem (I couldn't see 4 mm being a problem either). You also have the option of using wheel spacers too. Like I said, if you like the wheels & the price is ok for you have a word with someone who can give a definitive answer. Good luck!

ET49 - ET45 = 4mm!

Even on the standard rims there is very little room between the tyre and the strut.

http://m.moderntiredealer.com/article/2133/an-installer-s-guide-to-wheel-offset

Thanks for that, I always wondered what 9 minus 5 was. You obviously don't understand offset, central hole etc as well as you like to think judging by your pevious post regarding ET45 being the width of the central hole!!! Don't worry, I can't get my head round it all either but I'm not pretending to. The above link suggests any difference under 5mm is fine. I am just trying to help the original poster rather than giving the easy answer of don't change anything. As I've said a couple of times now, it would be worth checking with someone that KNOWS about offset etc rather than forum experts....

Taken from some Llanigraham posted on another forum..."The off-set is the distance from the centrral line of the wheel to the face of the centre plate, so a Yeti is 45mm and those Octi wheels 49mm, therefore the back of the wheel will be 4mm nearer the front strut"

"Standard 17" Yeti fitment is 7J x17 ET45, whereas the ones you quote are ET49 offset. 

I don't think they will fit as the offset is too great. 

It would put the tyres much too close to the front suspension leg."

Sad times :( 

They are very nice wheels.

The 17" Teron wheels I fit are from an Octavia III with ET49 offset and I've had no issues whatsoever, practice over theory wins out ;)

• Like 1

I remember from decades ago that the strut centreline extension to the centre of the tyre contact patch was a factor in stability - is that still a factor to maintain when considering all wheel options or does style take priority?

Aaaaaagh! :D   My emotions!  Can get...can't get...can get.... probably shouldn't get ;)

my-head-is-full-of-what.jpg

Here's another query.   Would it be possible to keep 16" alloys and fit a greater profile to fill the arches and give a better overall look?

Say... a 215/65?  The Yeti does seem pretty "Jacked up!"

Been reading through the Wheel and tyre guide section and some other searches.  Haven't seen any pictures with a Yeti with the above tyres fitted.  Often come in A/T tread for the 4x4..

Ah...here we go... non Greenline though.. that has the slightly lowered setup...

"The Yeti brochure states that the ground clearance on the Greenline is 155mm instead of 180mm, so it's 25mm lower.

Which looks right if you look at my pictures in the first post. It's about an inch lower.

The radius difference on the tyres is 12.44mm.
So it looks like half the drop in height comes from the tyres and half from the suspension

Despite the tyres being about an inch shorter, only half of that obviously contibutes to the height of the vehicle. Hence the wheels/tyres look small in the arches." 

Can't see a slight raise effecting the mpg so much....  12mm lowered in total. 

6010719787_bd79e576e6_b.jpg
IMG_8282.jpg
139ddfu-960.jpg

Good thread 

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/93360-skoda-yeti-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-7.html

951497d1341484266-skoda-yeti-tyre-wheel-

If it wasn't for the speedo getting out of wack I bet you could go even bigger...

For me 215/65/16 ATs would be the go with better ground clearance, strut clearance, speedo accuracy and reduced sidewall vulnerability.